Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Jesus is good, capitalist

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Bip Roberts posted:

Jesus is good, capitalist

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Ayn Randi posted:

have you considered that all conditioned phenomena are impermanent and void of an inherent nature? even... posting

One exception: :pisstape:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.bf06de886101

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey9z8o7y-7A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBsWlrDQsaQ

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Zen Koans About Zen Masters Being Dicks

The Dumbass Lord

Two Zen teachers, Daigu and Gudo, were invited to visit a lord. Upon arriving, Gudo said to the lord: "You are wise by nature and have an inborn ability to learn Zen."

"Nonsense," said Daigu. "Why do you flatter this dumbass? He may be a lord, but he doesn't know anything of Zen."

So, instead of building a temple for Gudo, the lord built it for Daigu and studied Zen with him.

~~~~~

Eshun’s Departure

When Eshun, the Zen nun, was past sixty and about to leave this world, she asked some monks to pile up wood in the yard.

Seating herself firmly in the center of the funeral pyre, she had it set fire around the edges.

"O nun!" shouted one monk, "is it hot in there?"

"Such a matter would concern only a stupid person like yourself," answered Eshun.

The flames arose, and she passed away.

~~~~~

Afternoon Nap

The master Soyen Shaku passed from this world when he was sixty-one years of age. Fulfilling his life's work, he left a great teaching, far richer than that of most Zen masters. His pupils used to sleep in the daytime during midsummer, and while he overlooked this he himself never wasted a minute.

When he was but twelve years old he was already studying Tendai philosophical speculation. One summer day the air had been so sultry that little Soyen stretched his legs and went to sleep while his teacher was away.

Three hours passed when, suddenly waking, he heard his master enter, but it was too late. There he lay, sprawled across the doorway.

"I beg your pardon, I beg your pardon," his teacher whispered, stepping carefully over Soyen's body as if it were that of some distinguished guest. After this, Soyen never slept again in the afternoon.

~~~~~

Business Card

Keichu, the great Zen teacher of the Meiji era, was the head of Tofuku, a cathedral in Kyoto. One day the governor of Kyoto called upon him for the first time.

His attendant presented the card of the governor, which read: Kitagaki, Governor of Kyoto.

"I have no business with such a fellow," said Keichu to his attendant. "Tell him to get out of here."

The attendant carried the card back with apologies. "That was my error," said the governor, and with a pencil he scratched out the words Governor of Kyoto. "Ask your teacher again."

"Oh, is that Kitagaki?" exclaimed the teacher when he saw the card. "I want to see that fellow."

~~~~~

”Is that so?”

The Zen master Hakuin was praised by his neighbours as one living a pure life.

A beautiful girl whose parents owned a food store lived near him. Suddenly, without any warning, her parents discovered she was with child.

This made her parents angry. She would not confess who the man was, but after much harassment at last named Hakuin.

In great anger the parent went to the master. "Is that so?" was all he would say.

After the child was born it was brought to Hakuin. By this time he had lost his reputation, which did not trouble him, but he took very good care of the child. He obtained milk from his neighbours and everything else he needed.

A year later the girl-mother could stand it no longer. She told her parents the truth - the real father of the child was a young man who worked in the fishmarket.

The mother and father of the girl at once went to Hakuin to ask forgiveness, to apologize at length, and to get the child back.

Hakuin was willing. In yielding the child, all he said was: "Is that so?"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

twoday posted:

Zen Koans About Zen Masters Being Dicks

The Dumbass Lord

Two Zen teachers, Daigu and Gudo, were invited to visit a lord. Upon arriving, Gudo said to the lord: "You are wise by nature and have an inborn ability to learn Zen."

"Nonsense," said Daigu. "Why do you flatter this dumbass? He may be a lord, but he doesn't know anything of Zen."

So, instead of building a temple for Gudo, the lord built it for Daigu and studied Zen with him.

~~~~~

Eshun’s Departure

When Eshun, the Zen nun, was past sixty and about to leave this world, she asked some monks to pile up wood in the yard.

Seating herself firmly in the center of the funeral pyre, she had it set fire around the edges.

"O nun!" shouted one monk, "is it hot in there?"

"Such a matter would concern only a stupid person like yourself," answered Eshun.

The flames arose, and she passed away.

~~~~~

Afternoon Nap

The master Soyen Shaku passed from this world when he was sixty-one years of age. Fulfilling his life's work, he left a great teaching, far richer than that of most Zen masters. His pupils used to sleep in the daytime during midsummer, and while he overlooked this he himself never wasted a minute.

When he was but twelve years old he was already studying Tendai philosophical speculation. One summer day the air had been so sultry that little Soyen stretched his legs and went to sleep while his teacher was away.

Three hours passed when, suddenly waking, he heard his master enter, but it was too late. There he lay, sprawled across the doorway.

"I beg your pardon, I beg your pardon," his teacher whispered, stepping carefully over Soyen's body as if it were that of some distinguished guest. After this, Soyen never slept again in the afternoon.

~~~~~

Business Card

Keichu, the great Zen teacher of the Meiji era, was the head of Tofuku, a cathedral in Kyoto. One day the governor of Kyoto called upon him for the first time.

His attendant presented the card of the governor, which read: Kitagaki, Governor of Kyoto.

"I have no business with such a fellow," said Keichu to his attendant. "Tell him to get out of here."

The attendant carried the card back with apologies. "That was my error," said the governor, and with a pencil he scratched out the words Governor of Kyoto. "Ask your teacher again."

"Oh, is that Kitagaki?" exclaimed the teacher when he saw the card. "I want to see that fellow."

~~~~~

”Is that so?”

The Zen master Hakuin was praised by his neighbours as one living a pure life.

A beautiful girl whose parents owned a food store lived near him. Suddenly, without any warning, her parents discovered she was with child.

This made her parents angry. She would not confess who the man was, but after much harassment at last named Hakuin.

In great anger the parent went to the master. "Is that so?" was all he would say.

After the child was born it was brought to Hakuin. By this time he had lost his reputation, which did not trouble him, but he took very good care of the child. He obtained milk from his neighbours and everything else he needed.

A year later the girl-mother could stand it no longer. She told her parents the truth - the real father of the child was a young man who worked in the fishmarket.

The mother and father of the girl at once went to Hakuin to ask forgiveness, to apologize at length, and to get the child back.

Hakuin was willing. In yielding the child, all he said was: "Is that so?"

ken koan

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Whenever anyone asked him about Zen, the great master Gutei would quietly raise one finger into the air. A boy in the village began to imitate this behavior. Whenever he heard people talking about Gutei's teachings, he would interrupt the discussion and raise his finger.

Gutei heard about the boy's mischief. When he saw him in the street, he seized him and cut off his finger. The boy cried and began to run off, but Gutei called out to him. When the boy turned to look, Gutei raised his finger into the air. At that moment the boy became enlightened.

this is the true enlightenment: emptyquotes are dangerous bitch

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It's neutral, except for Christianity which is evil

Lawful Good: Sikhism
Neutral Good: Catholicism
Chaotic Good: Gnosticism
Lawful Neutral: Judaism
True Neutral: Hinduism
Chaotic Neutral: Buddhism
Lawful Evil: Islam
Neutral Evil: Protestantism
Chaotic Evil: Satanism (they're just libertarians)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
god damned religion :rolleyes:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Its bad OP!

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Abrahamic religions have made humans so instuitively scared of their own sexuality to the point where they kill each other over it

I guess thats an accomplishment

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

sodomy pride and decadence own though. sometimes murder is ok too if it's the fash.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Lawful Good: Sikhism
Neutral Good: Catholicism
Chaotic Good: Gnosticism
Lawful Neutral: Judaism
True Neutral: Hinduism
Chaotic Neutral: Buddhism
Lawful Evil: Islam
Neutral Evil: Protestantism
Chaotic Evil: Satanism (they're just libertarians)

I like ya jeb, but holy smokes @ putting the catholic church anywhere near good. or any of the abrahamic religions. the other ones are neutral at best. at least gnosticism concedes that the god of abraham is a huge tool

bring back hellenic polytheism imo

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Feranon posted:

sodomy pride and decadence own though. sometimes murder is ok too if it's the fash.

I like ya jeb, but holy smokes @ putting the catholic church anywhere near good. or any of the abrahamic religions. the other ones are neutral at best. at least gnosticism concedes that the god of abraham is a huge tool

bring back hellenic polytheism imo

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

try and make me ya cosmic bootlicker

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Feranon posted:

try and make me ya cosmic bootlicker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFbPiUEA62A

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

jesus died like a total bitch and so will his deluded followers :twisted:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

father above

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Feranon posted:

jesus died like a total bitch and so will his deluded followers :twisted:

Nah.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://soundcloud.com/kodak-black/roll-in-peace-feat

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

OT:

quote:

Do not hold over till the next day the wages of any man who works for you, but pay him at once; and if you serve God you will receive payment. And what you hate do not do to anyone. Give of your bread to the hungry, and of your clothing to the naked. Give all your rusplus to charity, and do not let your eye begrudge the gift when you make it.
NT:

quote:

I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?” Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

*looks around irl*

huh i can't see any soviet union in reality either

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
The Soviet Union is a state of mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling