Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fadam
Apr 23, 2008

In Training posted:

gently caress YESSSSS forced walk and talk sections where people talk to you and say oh my god its him, the Doom guy!!!! i looove lore and storytelling.

I actually do uronically love the lore and storytelling in the DooM 16 remake lol. I thought all the parts written from the demon's point of view were funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

goferchan posted:

is this where we were talking about titanfall 2 earlier? It's $6 on PS4 right now

thanks for this

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Is this doom thread now?

I just picked up prey on sale and only got in to the office. How important is it do do all this crafting and finding secrets in this game? Am I going to miss lots of important stuff if I just follow the objective without searching for stuff all over the place? I don't have time to be very thorough and want to get through the story without gimping myself, but feel like I'm going to miss the majority of repair kits and neuromods, but am not sure how big of a deal that is. I'm playing on hard.

Also I don't care too much about spoilers, is there something I should be saving my kits for??

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

oh no theyre going to go hardcore into the glory kill crap, they gave Doom guy the assassins creed wrist blade

ive been calling iot retard eternal

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

fadam posted:

I actually do uronically love the lore and storytelling in the DooM 16 remake lol. I thought all the parts written from the demon's point of view were funny.

you must be happy godd howard named the new game after you

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

myDad posted:

thanks for this

Have fun. I'll probably rebuy it because I don't have my disc copy anymore, I had a great time playing with Imps when it launched and $6 is a stupid price. I don't know if anyone plays anymore but the MP is super cool

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Is this doom thread now?

I just picked up prey on sale and only got in to the office. How important is it do do all this crafting and finding secrets in this game? Am I going to miss lots of important stuff if I just follow the objective without searching for stuff all over the place? I don't have time to be very thorough and want to get through the story without gimping myself, but feel like I'm going to miss the majority of repair kits and neuromods, but am not sure how big of a deal that is. I'm playing on hard.

Also I don't care too much about spoilers, is there something I should be saving my kits for??

Saving repair kits for? No they're just for suit damage. Honestly though I played on hard and explored obsessively and still found the game pretty tough but I also intentionally gimped myself skill wise and I've heard a lot of stuff in the skill tree I avoided can trivialize combat . Don't be too intimidated by "all the crafting", it's more a way to turn resources you don't want into things you do want (mostly bullets and neuromods) and not like collecting bear skins for a Far Cry wallet upgrade or whatever. I don't know if you'll miss a ton of important stuff but a big part of the joy I got from the game was exploring and trying to sequence break and get into places I shouldn't be in yet, I don't think I would be as fond of it if I just followed the objective

edit: also you're just playing on hard not "hard survival" mode right? the latter adds a bunch of stuff like weapon breakage and injuries and stuff that doesn't sound very fun unless you like playing really really slowly and methodically

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Is this doom thread now?

Weapon and repair kits and neuromods become craftable eventually, don’t worry about gimping yourself accidentally

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Weapon and repair kits and neuromods become craftable eventually, don’t worry about gimping yourself accidentally

Okay cool to know, the repair kits im referring to are the ones for fixing recyclers for example. But if I can just craft neuromods and stuff later on then I feel a bit better about being able to miss some stuff. Really looking the game so far. It's more creepy than I thought it would be and I'm legit scared for my life and my turret is my only friend

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

Titanfall 2 is the only good FPS campaign of the last....decade? When was the last painkiller game

Juarez Gunslinger rules and it was like 2013

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Okay cool to know, the repair kits im referring to are the ones for fixing recyclers for example. But if I can just craft neuromods and stuff later on then I feel a bit better about being able to miss some stuff. Really looking the game so far. It's more creepy than I thought it would be and I'm legit scared for my life and my turret is my only friend

turrets super suck past the 25% mark of the game, the Forbidden Powers are the best, and this is pretty much the only comprehensive guide to the game you'll need:

the game gets downright silly by the end, and its Good

Burnt Dick
May 3, 2018
I still kept putting turrets down when I found them because they made me feel safe, but yeah past around the quarter mark they might as well be potato guns. Yet still managed to waste me in no time once I started getting Typhon powers, they become more of a nuisance then

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Burnt Dick posted:

I still kept putting turrets down when I found them because they made me feel safe, but yeah past around the quarter mark they might as well be potato guns. Yet still managed to waste me in no time once I started getting Typhon powers, they become more of a nuisance then

kinetic blast costs 2 neuromods and instawrecks them

so does the electric power, but that costs like 3 or 4 or sth

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Willie Tomg posted:

turrets super suck past the 25% mark of the game, the Forbidden Powers are the best, and this is pretty much the only comprehensive guide to the game you'll need:

the game gets downright silly by the end, and its Good

Combat focus is non alien and is loving broken but otherwise yeah

Also the new antagonist at three quarters of the way through the game who was a bad early 90s action film antagonist was funny... I wish they'd had him come on a military ship that would be its own area ala the Rickenbakker in System Shock 2 so we'd have some totally different areas to explore later on rather than having to backtrack - the repetition at that point is my only major criticism of this masterpiece

Edit or maybe had the simulation start getting loving weird by having it break down with more of it being replaced by poo poo drawn from the alien's own psychology. That woulda also been cool. But limited budget and all that

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The DLC is a really cool concept and I’m having fun but I do hope it gets harder - it’s meant to have roguelike elements but I’m currently 3 runs in, no deaths, and have enough sim points to outfit my next run with like 20 neuromods and every weapon in the game

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

BBJoey posted:

The DLC is a really cool concept and I’m having fun but I do hope it gets harder - it’s meant to have roguelike elements but I’m currently 3 runs in, no deaths, and have enough sim points to outfit my next run with like 20 neuromods and every weapon in the game

How are the environments? The dlc sounds cool but what makes games like prey and dishonored awesome are the intricately designed levels, and having a roguelike setup seems to run counter to that

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

How are the environments? The dlc sounds cool but what makes games like prey and dishonored awesome are the intricately designed levels, and having a roguelike setup seems to run counter to that

I don't think the map changes at all but enemy and item locations are shuffled around and affect how you progress through it. Works more like a Link To The Past randomizer than a roguelike

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

There are four map zones and they’re each handcrafted and don’t change between runs - same quality as the original and other Arkane games. What changes is the contents (item locations, enemy types etc) and, I’m assuming based on context clues, as you do more runs more environmental factors will come into play. So for example an area may have no oxygen or high radiation so you can’t stay long, or there might be heavy fires that restrict movement, or the power might be out so you need to find replacement power supplies to be able to access doors/elevators/transit stations.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
This game is stupid. I just glue the monsters and stunlock them with the wrench and they stop animating like the Skyrim giant. There's too much loot and I don't wanna craft a bunch of crap.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Ragg posted:

This game is stupid. I just glue the monsters and stunlock them with the wrench and they stop animating like the Skyrim giant. There's too much loot and I don't wanna craft a bunch of crap.

You can collect all the flowers an d rotten banana peels and limes to create little cubes that are used as currency at the vending machine

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

You can collect all the flowers an d rotten banana peels and limes to create little cubes that are used as currency at the vending machine

I hate that.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

game got me inspired to reinstall Dishonored 2, I never played the DLC was it any good?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

gently caress I still need to play D2 I never made it past the first real zone -- I have no idea why it didn't stick with me, i really appreciated the first game and the sequel seemed like nothing but improvements, I think I just wasn't in the mood for it when I picked it up. I also can't help but abuse quicksave in games that have it -- one of the things I appreciated about Prey was that if you gently caress up stealthing through something , going ahead and killing the aliens is pretty much resource-neutral (especially if you're specced to just beat things to death with a wrench) and gets you some of those juicy exotic materials so you can make more neuromods. In Dishonored if I get spotted it just feels bad and makes me want to instantly reload and so i never get anywhere

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i never finished D2, but some areas are loving awesome and really build on the overall formula of the game

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

the level design is amazing in d2 but the stealth and combat just feel bad in a way that i'm not quite sure how to fix.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
on Prey: I followed along with an LP on here and after a certain point they were on a little break and I said gently caress it and bought the game and basically blazed through it in a week. poo poo was loving incredible. I'm glad it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. I pretty much went through it with minimal psionic powers but I wish there was a D2-type thing where you could start a new game and have all your old powers in addition to getting new ones.

on D2: I literally started a new game as soon as I finished my initial nice/stealth/no killing run. New Game+ is loving awesome and I'm basically just blazing through it and disintegrating everything in my path, which is a fun change from having to be super careful and stealthy. The sword combat never really clicked for me but I like combining powers to kill poo poo.

both of these games own!!!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Not very far in, games fun. I'm glad I'm now a paranoid schizophrenic who screams incoherently at furniture

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sai-kun posted:

I pretty much went through it with minimal psionic powers but I wish there was a D2-type thing where you could start a new game and have all your old powers in addition to getting new ones.

There is, they added it in a free patch that dropped the same time as the DLC. The DLC is also pretty good.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

game got me inspired to reinstall Dishonored 2, I never played the DLC was it any good?

i heard it was good but i havent played it myself

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

Willie Tomg posted:

There is, they added it in a free patch that dropped the same time as the DLC. The DLC is also pretty good.

Yo I just discovered this and I've been playing constantly for the past 3 days. The game goes totally off the rails in the best way possible when you start with basically all the human neuromods haha. Just being able to hack everything really changes stuff up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

i heard it was good but i havent played it myself

just beat it, I really liked it. Much like Mooncrash they change up the systems just enough to feel interesting but not overwhelming. You get all of your powers upfront, your mana fully recharges all the time, and instead of passive powers like agility or the adrenaline finishers you find bonecharms that give those effects. The last level leans super hard into the lovecraftian side of the setting and it’s awesome. Ends a little abruptly but that’s true of most standalone DLCs I find

• Locked thread