Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Losing the D21 in January soured me on vehicles. Money pits, a waste of time and hard earned dollars which will only ever let you down. Never buying one again.

So I waited till July and bought a Delica L400 Space Gear :black101: for a whopping $5800. Jesus, that's a lot of cash. Twice what I paid for the truck!

I will highlight that this was purchased from a mechanic who specializes in pre-purchase inspections. For reasons which will become clear...

Let's begin:

The culprit:

One kickin rad 1997 L400, SWB, 4-cylinder gasoline. Rebuilt head, blown sway bar links. Had a bad premonition of inevitable grief and suffering as soon as we drove off into the sunset together...

This is an ex burning-man wagon from some hippies. Terrible build, needs to go to make this into the ultimate ski & mountain bum wagon. So I gutted the gently caress out of it.

Better.

Holy poo poo!

Insulation done. I actually have the plywood down as well, but didn't get a picture due to work this week.

So we took off to the lake yesterday. 200km round trip, lovely day, great time, were driving home.

There's a stretch of highway for 3km. Single lanes, twisting corners, railroad on one side. No escape if bad poo poo happens.

Bad poo poo happened.

I now know what it feels like when your wheel is about to fly off, and thank god it did so while I was pulling over to investigate the uncontrollable vibration and not during the following 3km of hairpin turns with no median to bail on. Thank god I was already slowing down and managed to get it entirely off the road so that I wasn't rear-ended by the dumb city fucks who drive that highway, and that the tire bounced harmlessly into the ditch rather than someones windshield.

Shaved a good 1/4" off the rotor, hosed the hub, bent / streaked the fender, and did god knows what else damage, tho, so that sucks.

Mostly glad my friend wasn't sheared in half by oncoming traffic.

So it's sitting on the street outside my house partially jacked up on a pair of 2x4's to keep the strain off the frame, while I figure out wtf to do.

gently caress me, right? :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Did you not torque the lug nuts correctly? Those studs look awfully short as well, might just be me tho.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Rime posted:

I will highlight that this was purchased from a mechanic who specializes in pre-purchase inspections.

Nah, the stock studs are short AF.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
The PO did the pre-purchase inspection? :psyduck:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Those things are so fuckin tippy too! You got lucky.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

mariooncrack posted:

The PO did the pre-purchase inspection? :psyduck:

Sir this is a bad decision drive-thru.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Those things are so fuckin tippy too! You got lucky.

They feel like it but actually have a frankly insane amount of flexibility on the control arms and are pretty hard to roll. That being said if I'd been going faster than 50 and the front corner had caught & dug in we'd be having a very different thread right now and I might not even be the one posting it. :magical:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm glad you're not dead. Is your next step to buy another Delica and gut it for parts?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

First thing I'd do is compare the length of the studs to the other hubs, and if they are all that short find out how long they're supposed to be from the factory. I don't see how else that happened unless the lug nuts used were very poor quality and/or not torqued to spec. Since the studs aren't stripped i can only assume the nuts stripped right the gently caress out, probably very lovely quality lug nuts if the studs are correct.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Is that neversieze on the studs? If so, it worked.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Put a starightedge across the hub face in a variety of places, if it's still flat, I'd replace the studs and see what state it's in.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Those studs look like a quite reasonable length if you only mount steel wheels on it.

In what way is the hub hosed other than a couple of the studs being bent? Might be you just need a new rotor and studs, and probably check the torque and threads of the other wheel nuts. Though to change the rotor on that thing it looks like you'll be taking the wheel bearing out, so there's plenty of chance for things to fall apart further.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Decided to just get a rotor and new studs + nuts rather than deal with the death potential of putting a whole knuckle on it. Biked 2 hours in 35 degree heat to the parts shop, discovered I'd forgotten my example nut at home. gently caress me, goddamn.

Try again tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Fixing all that poo poo ultimately came to almost $2k, and I did most of the fuckin' work. Rotor, Studs, both Ball Joints, steering knuckle. gently caress.

Anyways, since I neglected to actually post the build here due to stress and time constraints, reporting on this has now moved to gently caress Rent Imma Livin' in a Van.

• Locked thread