Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Go through Dio's scenario first and get all that sweet sweet loot for everyone else later on down the line. Aww yiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Riku Last so Kouta gets all the rages from the other paths.

Do this.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
You should go with Dio first to see what kind of wonderful friends he makes on his way.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Batora because if I remember right that was my favorite branch as a kid.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Well. We have two votes each for Dio, Batora, and Not Riku. Not Riku is a given, so I guess I'll have to let randomness break the tie.

Batora it is! And then Dio, I suppose.

limeicebreakers posted:

Reading this LP is, um. An experience? I'm enjoying it a lot.

Glad to hear it! :)

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 25, 2018

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Chapter 5

We open with Batora having hosed up his mission and being chased by an imperial soldier. Fortunately, the soldier in question is pretty bad at his job, and gives up about a second after losing sight of his quarry.

The treasure hunter is looking to escape the town, but that with all the troops about that's liable to be easier said than done.

The building where Batora was hiding belonged to Duncan, Dio's master. The man is dead, of course, but his wife is still here, and she gives the player a clue that's helpful down the line.

In the item shop, a random woman gives us advice about the soldiers in town. Lack of a sense of humor doesn't sound so bad, honestly. Banon doesn't seem to have one either.

There's also a merchant here, and we get a subtle reminder that Batora really doesn't like being called a thief. Things go so badly that a fight breaks out.

Beating the merchant results in Batora, who is definitely not a thief, stealing his antagonist's clothing.

Oh, and he wears them too, just to embarrass the poor bastard further.

At least our hero gets an apology.

Oh, this must be one of those armored soldiers. Seems the townswoman was right about them being stiffs, but I might be able to fight my way past him.

Not a lot of damage, but his output is about the same.

At least until he does this. These guys can't really be fought with any chance of success, so you need an alternate way around. Luckily, just such a path is available via a nearby house.

The old guy inside really wants cider, which you can bet was alcohol in the original script.

In the basement, we meet his grandson, who lets us pass because we stole the clothes from that guy who insulted us.

Fun fact: there's a hidden bridge that lets you skip the next part of the chapter. But it kind of feels like cheating, so I'll play it fair.

In the northwest portion of town is another guard with no sense of humor. And yes, he starts a fight with Batora too. You can probably guess how the next bit plays out.

Yep, we beat him up and take his clothes. Now there are two nude men running around South Figaro.

Now that Batora is dressed as a soldier, this guy, who was guarding the path to the southwest part of town, is prompted to move and let him by. Our next destination is a set of stairs leading into the basement of the cafe.

Inside is a small room with this guy, who has some cider. He accuses this random imperial soldier of coming to steal it and picks a fight, which is probably a poor decision regardless.

Of course, Batora does, in fact, take the guy's cider (along with his clothes again). Amusingly, he does this even if you never talked to the old man. Maybe people have a point when they call him a thief.

In any case, the next move is, obviously, to take it back to the old man.

Useless old bastard.

Maybe the first one?

Nope. Better grab some more clothes (Nude guys in South Figaro: 4).

This is the correct password, though I'm not sure how you're supposed to figure this out apart from trial and error.

Thanks kid. At least someone in this town's not a complete dick.

Inside the passage is a small room. Much like that of the old man in Narshe, the clock here is powered by a unique relic.

The description is a not very helpful hint. Essentially, it makes the wearer undead (and cold as a corpse). Death magic will heal them, but standard healing will only cause damage. It has some niche uses, but for now I'll be packing it away.

Once the ring is looted, we can enter the actual passage, which leads to the big house in the northwest part of the town.

The place is crawling with soldiers, but at least a merchant can walk around without getting attacked.

Upstairs is a room where some unfortunate soldier is babysitting two kids. I took this picture solely because I like this kid. :3:

The girl's dialogue is definitely just what she says and not at all a clue for the future.

In the other room is the rich man who sold out the city. Greed begets greed, I suppose.

The more important aspect of this room is that the music cuts out, and if you listen closely you can hear the sound of wind blowing. Duncan's wife mentioned this.

Behind the bookcase is a secret passage.

The game gives us the option of changing out of the merchant clothes, but there's no real need to do so.

As we pass by this door, Batora automatically walks up and peeks inside. Apparently he recognizes someone.

This is one of the empire's generals? A little girl? It's never discussed, but more likely it's one of those "older than she looks" things. Goddammit, Japan.

Oh yeah, and this guy is beating the poo poo out of her. This is not okay.

And her name is Julia. How mundane.

In case you needed to be told, the empire is kind of evil.

Batora enters the room. The girl is chained to the wall, though her sprite looks a bit off. Most likely they didn't work on it much since it only gets used here.

The reward for keeping the merchant clothes is a couple extra lines of dialogue, which I find amusing.

More white knighting from Batora.

He's carrying a key for some reason.

The next room over is kind of a cluttered mess. There are some chests with minor treasures, as well as this clock. Despite what the little girl said in the house above, we can't wind it.

This other clock can be wound, though, and it opens up a secret door in the wall. On the other side is a maze of passages both visible and hidden, full of enemies.

And here are Julia's battle commands. We've finally recruited the person for whom we were learning all those dances.

Julia's Dance command is tied broadly to the eight different types of terrain in the game: plains, forest, desert, urban, mountain, water, cave, and a terrain type we haven't seen yet. Since this is a town, let's show off its native dance, Love Sonata.

Dance's gimmick is that it makes the Julia uncontrollable. Instead of her normal actions, she'll perform one of four actions, depending on the dance. The action is random, but some actions are more likely than others.

Sonic Boom tosses out a blade-like projectile that deals damage based on the target's current HP. Entwine inflicts slow on all enemies. And Wild Fang summons a cute little dog which can deal some pretty impressive damage.

How about I give Wind Song a try?

Using a dance not native to your current terrain actually changes the background, which is a little surreal at times.

Net inflicts stop on a single enemy, and always works as long as the target isn't immune. Sun Bath heals the party and is fairly common, making Wind Song a passable choice for long battles where other sources of healing aren't available. Chocobop summons a stampede of chocobos to trample enemies, which turns out to be just what I needed to win this fight.

One of the hidden passages in the maze leads to this creepy subbasement, which contains two valuable treasures. The DaVinci Brush is a solid weapon for Riku, who's clearly a closet artist (though the game never actually calls this out). The Oath Veil, meanwhile, is some strong armor for this stage of the game.

Time to show off-

Or not. Trying to use a dance not native to the current terrain has a strong chance to fail, though once it succeeds there's no risk of stumbling on future actions.

Anyway, Forest Suite. Wild Bear heals the party, similar to Sun Bath (though it's much rarer). Cokatrice [sic] summons what is presumable a cockatrice, which damages en enemy and has a chance to petrify it. Despite the fact that it flies, it's an earth-based attack, so birds and other flying foes are immune to it.

Desert Aria's most common attack is, bizarrely, Blizzard. It deals lackluster ice damage to all enemies. It was also all Julia wanted to use.

ChokeSmoke inflicts Zombie status on an enemy, which doesn't work on this Narshe guard palette swap. Step Mine, however, does some pretty impressive damage. It's also a Lore, and using it via Earth Blues is enough to learn it.

Finally, the exit.

Um. Okay. Even if Julia's older than she looks, this still seems creepy to me.

Anyway, let's get the hell out of this town.

Acid Rain is identical to the second half of Dio's L5DAcid ability.

After resting up at Dio's cabin, we head into the South Figaro cave. The place occasionally shakes and makes earthquake noises.

Whump deals solid earth-based damage to a random enemy.

Seriously.

Guess we're about to find out.

TunnelArmr is a mechanical boss that attacks with fairly powerful black magic and mediocre physical attacks. The boss is weak to wind damage, so the best strategy to fight it is to use Dusk Requiem, which has a decent chance to attack with Sand Storm. That's not, however, what actually killed the boss in this run.

What actually did the job was something I entirely failed to screenshot: Batora's desperation attack, Mirager. :v: It took me completely by surprise.

With that done, we can finally get out of here, ending Batora's chapter. Due to the way the votes went last since the last update, we'll be going through Dio's chapter next.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

There are a secret passage missed in the house dungeon basement. Straight south of the hallway you get asked if you want to change clothes.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Chapter 6

Warning: Lots of in-game text in this update.

Since everyone wants to see Riku's group last, we open this week with the spotlight on Dio.

He arrives on the edge of a river, which checks out. May as well go see what that house is about.

When we enter the place, twangy Western music starts playing - the theme song of that assassin we met back in South Figaro.

No reason to say no. Also, the guy on the chocobo left while I was talking.

After leaving and reentering to respawn the chocobo rider, the place takes on a much goofier musical theme.

The most notable thing about the merchant is that he sells a relic called Sprint Shoes:

Despite the description, they don't actually do anything related to walking speed - characters already move pretty quickly outside of specific, scripted scenes. They actually have another, hidden use, which I'll get to in the future.

Inside the house is this old man who wants us to fix his clock. Although you can't see it in these screenshots, he doesn't actually have one.

He also doesn't have a visible lawnmower, and even if he does, the back of his house is against a sheer rock face.

He does, at least have a stove, and if you examine it it's implied that doing so nearly incinerates the party.

...I'm leaving.

And here we can see the assassin Sasara's battle commands. Life2 is an unusual choice for someone who kills for money, as it duplicates a magic spell, returning someone to life with full HP.

R-Tek, meanwhile, produces on of several, randomly-chosen powers, all based on technology. In this case, he fires a bunch of missiles at enemies. Nowhere is it explained how he came by either of these powers.

South of the old man's house is this unassuming patch of sand next to a bridge.

It's actually an imperial military base.

Oh it's the pyromaniac again.

Still a dick.

They keep mentioning General Leo. It's almost as though he's an important character and they want to drill that fact into you.

After this, the screen fades out and we're taken to watch the assault.

This is seriously the worst siege army ever. There's no way they could pose a threat to this castle.

Unless the inhabitants are an even bigger group of morons.

A man emerges from a nearby hallway. He looks kind of barbaric, but the idiots here respect him anyway.

Meet Napo, proud knight(?) of this castle.

And so we're thrown into battle against the Leader, seen here using his special attack, Venom Bone, which deals damage but does not, in fact, inflict poison. He's not hard to beat if you remember to give Napo some new gear before the battle, but this is as good a time as any to show off his special commands.

Sketch creates an imitation of an enemy and unleashes one of its attacks. (I had thought I got a shot of it, but apparently not, so I'll get one for the next update.) Fans of the game are probably aware that this command is incredibly buggy, capable to doing things like giving you tons of items or erasing your saves. So I don't expect to use it much.

Throw allows you to choose one weapon in your inventory and chuck it at an enemy; there are also some items that can only be used by Throwing them. In this case, I can hurl knives at the leader for a few hundred points of damage.

Once he goes down, the rest of the attack force retreats, thus ending the lamest siege in military history.

And we're back at the base with Dio and Sasara. There are soldiers patrolling here, but unless you actually talk to them, you can walk right up to them without them attacking.

In the right-hand tent is a treasure chest, which is stuck. Kicking it causes the dog outside to rush in and attack, so let's hit it instead.

As an extra gently caress you from the game, it's trapped.

These little fuckers are from Mt. Koltz, though, and they wouldn't last long even if I didn't have Dio's Odishoc command.

Heading south to the next screen, we're forced to hide - again - and listen to another conversation.

This random soldier is actually worth remembering.

Yes, leave the army in the hands of this no-name soldier. This seems like terribly irresponsible behavior from a guy everyone's been talking up as a great man.

Truly, Dio is a font of wisdom.

Just when you think you get to do stuff agin, you have to hide for the third drat time.

That sounds vaguely like a war crime.

Kefka still has the best dialogue though.

Dio, being a decent human being, has had enough.

Fun trivia: Kefka actually counts as a party member during this battle, which enabled the programmers to give him an animated sprite. (The battle engine only supports static sprites for enemies.) A single strike ends it.

Being more of a clown than a warrior, Kefka runs away at the first sign of trouble.

This happens again.

Aaaand he finally manages to escape by sticking us in an actual fight. Once it ends, however, we're treated to another cutscene.

I have to say, just the fact that he has enough poison to not only foul the water but actually change its color? That's damned impressive. The amount of poison he'd need for that would be enormous.

This probably isn't a good sign.

RIP King Doma. You were so inconsequential I'm pretty sure they just reused Banon's sprite for you.

You can look around the castle, but most of the doors are blocked. A random pot contains this dagger, which is a decent find, but otherwise there's nothing of note to see until you find Napo's quarters.

Okay, so this... is a pretty hard-hitting scene, for which I have to give the game credit. Given Nintendo's censorship policies at the time, getting mass murder into a game, including the deaths of a main characters wife and child, was damned impressive.

That said, this dialogue that comes after seems really artificial.

Napo rushes off to the imperial camp and begins fighting the soldiers.

This is not the dialogue of a man driven to aggrieved rage by the death of his family.

The fight is nothing special apart from Napo being AI-controlled. And also Sasara having somehow been shuffled into the leader position in my party.

This goes on for a while.

I'm pretty sure you're here because everyone you knew and loved is dead.

At the bottom of the screen, you can see Sasara loving off.

Napo starts running in circles, but at least he managed to start the thing.

Unable to find the brakes, Napo barrels through an imperial soldier, likely trampling him to death.

At a few points we're foced into fights against guys in magitek armor ninjas.

It turns out that sisy roos are resistant to lightning damage, so Diffuser, which worked so well in Narshe, is a suboptimal choice here. Fire Beam works much better.

And with that, we've escaped the camp, but Dio's story is hardly finished. It's significantly longer than the other two and will probably take a few more chapters.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Maleketh posted:

After leaving and reentering to respawn the chocobo rider, the place takes on a much goofier musical theme.

What?

*Waits patiently*

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

FeyerbrandX posted:

What?

*Waits patiently*

If you're asking for the song, you're out of luck. I don't know the name, and searching for "that one goofy song from ffvi" doesn't turn it up.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Maleketh posted:

If you're asking for the song, you're out of luck. I don't know the name, and searching for "that one goofy song from ffvi" doesn't turn it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXIKFoP2lZ4

:D

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Ave Hirayuki, the one who gets it.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Chapter 7

With the imperial camp behind us, we're free to move on. Our path is limited, however, and soon we come to a forest.

Sounds pleasant.

Not far into the forest is a recovery spring, which is a handy free heal after the imperial camp - and before the next leg of the game.

Despite having such an ominous name, the place is filled with helpful signs telling you where to go.

The background does a nice job of foreshadowing what's coming up.

It's a train.

This place has some really tacky decor. The game in general uses a lot of the purple and green color scheme, and it wears itself out right around here.

Everyone freaks out as the train's whistle blows.

gently caress that, I'm heading for the caboose.

But first, I have to deal with the infestation of birds, lemur... things, and normal men.

In the caboose, we find a save point and a literal event trigger.

It doesn't affect anything, but it's a cute look into Napo's character.

There are quite a few ghosts wandering the train, and there are a few different possible results from talking to them. The lone ghost in the caboose will offer to join the party, and it's really the only one we need.

A glance at its gear shows that it has some decent kit. The DragoonBoots don't actually do anything for it, but having two weapons is nice. I won't be using them, however.

And this is why. As if Dio having OdiShoc wasn't broken enough, now we have a ghost that can do the same. It also has Napo's Throw command, though there's no reason to use it.

Other ghosts are dicks and will start a battle when spoken to.

Still others offer to sell you a few things. There's nothing overly vital for sale, but I picked up a few things since the prices are pretty fair.

After walking into this next car (which has no other exit), a ghost walks in and blocks the door.

After being deliberately creepy, the ghost triggers a short fight and we can step outside.

As you can see, this goes on for some time.

Dio's physical training actually comes in handy and allows the party to escape. I guess he's carrying them or something?

Okay, not exactly escape, but it gives us enough time to enter the car and, well...

Given that it's a supernatural train that carries angry spirits, I wouldn't be entirely sure about this statement, but for now, crisis averted.

Reentering the car and hitting the switch again causes the wall to open and let us proceed.

There are five or six cars that are just passenger coaches. It's not very exciting dungeon design.

It just wanted to show off this because it's an enemy with a badly misspelled name and a special ability that has nothing to do with the name of either the monster or the ability itself. (It rolls a wheel over one character and inflicts berserk.)

Finally, we get a change of scenery with the dining car.

Napo raises an extremely legitimate point, but Dio is not a cautious man.

Apparently the cuisine of the dead is especially good for the living.

We can't leave out of the left side of the car, though. We have to leave and go around to get the chest. It's not even anything very exciting.

Moving on, we come to this treasure chest. I'll let the following scene speak for itself.

Mostly because I have no idea what I can possibly say to add to this. Who is this man? How did he get onto this train? Why does his dialogue go from flowery to stilted in just a few seconds? Why does the spelling of his name change? If he was good enough to get here, why does he hit for so little damage? None of these questions are ever answered.

His attacks do trigger Sasara's unique trait: his dog, Interceptor. True to his name, he'll occasionally block physical attacks directed at his master and launch a counterattack. The damage here is pretty impressive, but any attack on ZSiegfried results in him fading away.

Oh and he's a huge rear end in a top hat. It's 100% impossible to claim whatever was in that chest.

Oh, thanks, random apparently-living human.

Another room of the train contains a set of chests, including this beauty. It's single-use, but a full HP restore is potentially valuable down the line.

Upon reaching the next car, our ghost buddy decides he's had enough and leaves. This is unfortunate, because he'd be useful for what's ahead.

Upon reaching the front of the train, we find a wall with three switches. Stopping the train first requires hitting the right combination of switches. It's entirely trial-and-error unless you know the right combination already.

Which I do.

Then just walk up here and...

Right, it talks and also fights.

This arguably the most famous fight in the entire game, for one simple reason, a tradition that appears in pretty much every LP of this game:

Sketching the train. It's kind of pointless since Evil Toot does nothing to the boss, but tradition is tradition.

All fun aside, the Phantom Train/GhostTrain is an incredibly nasty fight, not much easier than Vargas was. Evil Toot can inflict numerous status ailments, Scar Beam hits the whole party for basically-lethal damage, and it likes to counter attacks with its special attack, Rave Tears.

This party actually has few real damage options against the boss, as Shockwave's damage is minimal, Acid Rain heals it, and Sasara's R-Tek doesn't have much that can deal heavy damage. Napo's throw is the key to victory, and I'm not shy about tossing some good stuff, like this shuriken, to get the win. The fight's hard enough without trying to hold onto stuff.

Like I said, this fight is tough enough, and I'm not up for another round of praying for a desperation attack.

With the train defeated, we can get off, and round out Napo's story arc for this chapter.

:(

Now that we're out of the forest, we can use a tent (we still just have Napo at 20 HP, and we'll need some healing before the next bit) and strip Sasara of all his gear.

We've reached Baren Falls, the transitional area to the next part of Dio's story. Sasara decides that imperials and ghosts are more than he signed up for and leaves the party. He actually has a low chance to leave the party after every fight, though he won't do so on the Phantom Train (since there's n.o...e.s.c.a.p.e...! even for him).

Sasara's body language says, "Not in this lifetime."

To be fair, this isn't even the craziest thing Dio has done in this update.

The fall down the waterfall contains an ongoing fight against repeatedly-spawning groups of two and three piranha. As you can see, Dio's OdiShoc doesn't do much to them, as these mostly-ordinary fish are somehow immune to instant death.

His L5DAcid command is quite effective, however, as the Acid Rain kills the fish in a single blow. I didn't get a shot of it, but there's also a marginally-tougher palette-swap, Rizopaz, at the end. It takes two Acid Rains to kill but is otherwise no more remarkable than its brethren.

We wash up on shore at the waterfall's base and are found by an albino dressed in pink.

Of course he's a party member.

At the end of the cut scene, Kurei freaks out and runs away. You might expect this to lead to another quest in which you have to recruit him.

You'd be wrong; he joins the party automatically, with no fanfare. Nice writing, Square.

He comes equipped with a shuriken, the only weapon he can use for the moment. If I'd saved the one I threw against the Phantom Train, I could give him the Genji Glove and have him absolutely wreck everything, but as it is I have to settle for him just mostly wrecking everything.

Oh, and the game's implication that he has an affinity for monsters is accurate: those exotic spells I've been collecting are for him. He mostly learns them when enemies use them, making him the game's blue mage.

He also gets one free Lore, which lets him throw rocks at enemies. Feels appropriate.

In the eastern part of the Veldt is a town, Mobliz.

Yeah, no poo poo.

No way could this be Kurei. :rolleyes:

Standing right in front of you, actually.

True to form, the clock in this town can be searched, but unlike the others this one doesn't hold a rare item.

:stare:

:stonklol:

Yeah, this encounter does not mess around, and there's no realistic way to win it, now or later. It's just here as a "gently caress you" from the devs.

Remember that random soldier in the imperial camp, the one I said was worth remembering? The one who said he'd lay down his life for the empire?

Yeah, he tried to run.

He's really a sad case. Still worth remembering too.

I'm not even going to touch this one.

South of Mobliz is this cave. The game doesn't tell you to go here, but it's the only other destination on the Veldt.

I feel like something got excised from the game, because this is the first time this gets mentioned.

Apart from a few side tracks where Kurei takes your money, there's only one way to go here.

Somehow this diving helmet allows everyone to breathe under water. Physics doesn't work that way, but okay.

The Serpent Trench uses the SNES's Mode-7 system to send you on a roughly first-person journey through the water, fighting tiny men on the ocean floor.

At two points, you can direct yourself left or right. In both cases, right leads to treasure.

This is a pretty decent relic. I give it to Dio so the prince can live his dream of being a queen.

Finally, we reach the end of the Trench, and Dio washes up on the water's edge for the third time in the chapter.

The town has shops, but none of them have anything especially useful. Joke's on you, kid; you are a loser and I'm not buying anything.

And with that, Dio's chapter is over. Next time: we finish things up with Riku, Kouta, and Banon.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 10, 2018

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Maleketh posted:

At the end of the cut scene, Kurei freaks out and runs away. You might expect this to lead to another quests in which you have to recruit him.

You'd be wrong; he joins the party automatically, with no fanfare. Nice writing, Square.

Combined with other dialog later, it feels like there was supposed to be a quest where you track him down in random battles (he apparently runs around with packs of monsters or something) and convince him to join you somehow, but for whatever reason it got cut. Too bad, might have been cool. A real missed opportunity.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What exactly the hell is an Impresario?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/impresario

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It was probably a conductor at one point, likewise with the Opera House Impressario. But since he wasn't really a conductor, a quick CTRL-R changed both.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

A fellow translator is doing a great side-by-side comparison of various FFVI versions that goes into this weirdness and a lot of other things that got lost or shuffled around or screwed up en route to the final English product. He's a little ahead of the LP, though, and using some weird variety of the SNES base game that doesn't match everything we see here (though the dialogue is the same).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sorry I guess I wasn't very good at tipping off that I was trying to stay in kayfabe there :buddy:

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Look, if I had a kid who was as in to Visual Kei as Kurei is I'd throw him out of the house too.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Takuan posted:

Look, if I had a kid who was as in to Visual Kei as Kurei is I'd throw him out of the house too.

I had to look this up, and by God is it spot on.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Chapter 8

With Dio and Batora having finished their stories, we're just left with Riku (along with Kouta and Banon), who are continuing the original plan to head toward Narshe.

Of course, we need to get to the end of the river first. The enemies here are the same as before, though the going is harder since we're missing Dio.

We do have a host of new rages for Kouta and Banon. Unfortunately, most of them are pretty useless, and sticking with the Lady rage (for its Group Hug heal) is generally the best bet.

As a bonus, due to his equipped weapon, Banon has a chance to instantly kill anything he hits with Rend Rave, the rage's physical attack.

After a half-dozen fights or so, the river reaches its end, and we reappear on the world map. At least Riku has better luck with this than Dio.

From there it's just a short walk to Narshe.

Unfortunately, we can't get in via the front door.

These guards have no compunctions about beating an old man.

Or men who claim to be kings. Though to be fair, that bright orange suit isn't terribly regal.

Pretty much, yeah.

With the front entrance barred, we'll have to use the side entrance.

You may remember that Batora told Riku to keep this secret entrance in mind.

Okay, there is one new rage with something worthwhile to offer: the Apog Ber rage comes with the Dread attack, which inflicts instant death and is incredibly creepy visually.

You might remember this room as the one in which Batora and the moogles fought to save Riku.

A glowing light traces a path through the room.

The game pretty much gives away the gimmick, albeit after you've lost your chance to watch the light. If you fail, you're subjected to a random battle and then returned to the entrance of the room to try again.

This should all look pretty familiar.

By the way, the old man has a name.

That doesn't really seem relevant right now.

And so ends Riku's chapter. It's even shorter than Batora's and mostly seems to be here to show that she makes it back to Narshe in one piece.

And the payoff for all those chapter is... more talking!

The game has a subtle warning about the nature of technology and how it affects the world. See if you can spot it.

Dio, Napo, and Kurei show up.

This line is weird and out of place. My guess is that Kurei's name was changed during development and this particular use of the name slipped through the cracks, since it's presented in all caps.

And the last arrival is here.

Yeah, I can see why Napo might have a problem with this.

We'll see Maranda later. For a town that's been "torched," it's in suspiciously good shape.

Ah, "that." One of the most popular words for lazy foreshadowing.

It's probably a safe bet that most imperial citizens are just normal people trying to get by, but this line is still a relevant reminder that the empire is more than just its military.

I think this might be the only time we get to see Banon's shocked face. Also, just look at the amount of purple and green in the room. I guess the developers were going for some kind of theme, but at times, like here, it's just glaring.

It's true: the Empire's on its way, and they're brought a more sizable force than they used for Doma. Clearly a mining town warrants more force than a heavily-fortified castle.

By the end of this Kefka is literally hopping mad.

Everyone sets out for the hills, forming a nice, orderly line (since the stairs are only one tile wide).

Kouta takes the opportunity to have a conversation with Julia. At least he's not hitting on her.

By this point Julia probably thinks her new teammates are a bunch of freaks. And to be fair, she's probably not entirely wrong.

Also, Napo feels that this is a good time reiterate his opinion of the girl. I kind of love her response of not giving a poo poo.

And here we are in the Narshe snowfields. This is an opportunity to swap out characters' gear, which is important for the next scene.

We have another large battle with three teams coming up, but this time the teams are ours to choose. Which makes it a fine time for more audience participation!

I'm going with my usual strategy for this sequence: one main party of four, supported by two small parties providing emergency protection for Banon (since the battle is lost if the enemy reaches him). I'll leave it to you all to decide who goes in my main party; you may cast votes for up to four characters each; whichever four characters have the most votes will go in the party.

As usual, voting ends Friday.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dread actually inflicts Petrification, not Death. There's no graphical difference at all but it's relevant since those are different flags for resistance purposes. :eng101:

Also: "GAU"? I can see why they changed it, that's a pretty less than entirely impressive name.

Edit re: below: I'll happily change the wording if it offends you... but you quoted and bolded it. :doh:

On the other hand if it's the opinionfact that 'Gau' is a dumb name you take exception to then I will fight you. :colbert:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 20, 2018

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also: "GAU"? I can see why they changed it, that's a pretty retarded name.

:crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Maleketh posted:

I'll leave it to you all to decide who goes in my main party; you may cast votes for up to four characters each; whichever four characters have the most votes will go in the party.

As usual, voting ends Friday.

Well. Message received, I suppose.

• Locked thread