Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mario Tennis Aces is a video game I think you hit the ball and the other guy hits the ball back and then someone fucks up and feels bad sometimes but it's fun
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

About the Game (Official Nintendo Description):

Unleash an arsenal of shots and strategies in all-out tennis battles with friends, family, and fan-favorite Mushroom Kingdom characters. Whether you play locally, online, or using simple motion controls, intense rallies await! In Adventure mode, experience a new favor of tennis gameplay, with a variety of missions, boss battles and more.

Complete missions and boss battles in Adventure mode while mastering the controls. Test your hard-earned skills in singles or doubles with up to 4 players in local or online multiplayer, not to mention Tournament Mode, which lets you challenge the CPU. Store up energy and use it to pull off amazing feats: move so fast the world slows down around you or aim in first-person to send the ball crashing down! Your rivals may attempt to block you, but if they fail, their racket will take damage—and break after three hits. Fully charge your energy to launch the ball with enough force to KO your opponent!

- Rally against other players in singles or doubles as one of 15+ Mushroom Kingdom characters
- Serve up everything from basic shots to trick shots to split-second blocks
- Use energy to leap after the ball, slow down time, aim in first-person, break rackets, and KO opponents!
- Play locally, online or swing your Joy-Con™ controller like a real racket in Swing Mode
- Take on CPU opponents in the Mushroom Cup, Flower Cup, or Star Cup in Tournament Mode
- Adventure mode offers a new flavor of tennis gameplay, with a variety of missions, boss battles and more.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Playable Characters:

Mario Tennis Aces features a bunch of familiar Mario characters that we know and love. The game doesn’t feature the biggest selection of characters that we’ve seen in a Mario Tennis game but more will be added over time and who cares there's a Chain Chomp!!! Chain Chomp guys!!

There's seven types of characters to pick from that all have their own play styles and gimmicks. You have All-Round, Technical, Speedy, Power, Defense, Tricky and Chain Chomp

All-Round characters:

They have no upsides or downsides. Totally average. If you go up against a Mario they probably just got the game.

- Mario
- Luigi
- Daisy

Technical characters:

These are the characters you pick if your favorite color is pink

- Peach
- Toadette

Speedy characters:

They might be faster than Sonic

- Toad
- Yoshi
- Koopa
- Diddy Kong

Powerful characters:

These are the big boys except for spike who is very small but big in spirit

- Wario
- Bowser
- Donkey Kong
- Spike
- Chain Chomp

Defensive characters:

These types of characters have been nerfed severely and the game is much better for it.

- Waluigi
- Bowser Jr.

Tricky characters:

These characters are bullshit and will let you scrub out a win until you come up against a enemy who knows how to counter you. Then you curl into a ball and die while they destroy you.

- Rosalina
- Boo
- Blooper

More characters are going to be added monthly as participation bonuses for taking the time to play in online Tourney modes. You can get a preview of them in story mode but outside that you just gotta wait for the painfully slow dripfeed- but hey. Someday Kamek will be playable! Ain't that grand?

Nintendo has revealed three more characters that will join the roster post-launch, but Nintendo hasn’t yet specified how we will get our hands on the characters or what types they will be. The characters are Diddy Kong, Birdo, and Paratroopa.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Gonna break your racquets

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Remember whenever you win a point to either run back and forth across the court or spin in place to taunt your opponent.

Daisy is S-tier for the first one and Peach is great for the second variation

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Yoshi's also great for the end of point taunting because he never slows down. Never.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
A brand new thread and still no "The T.E.N.N.I.S. System" thread title :sigh:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Maybe I should retire at the peak of my career, it's all downhill from here

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

creationist believer posted:

I was going to make one called, "Keep smackin those balls."

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86-YL5Qcec8

Diddy Kong is next up

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just won my first tournament in Standard Mode. I pretty much only exclusively play Simple mode, in which I made the finals once, usually getting 2 to 3 wins and then losing. So just to see how far I'd get in Standard I boot it up as Daisy and in my first go I did it. I went 2-0 the whole tourney, didn't break or lose a single racket (in fact I only used Zone Speed, no trick or zone shots as I'm not really used to them), I contested a few break/game points but most of it went pretty smoothly.

I think Simple mode is just that much more difficult that or your reflexes are maybe just a bit better? Or maybe because I did my first tournament near the end of the month everyone who is actually good got weeded out of the starting standard tourneys. Who knows?

What does bug me though is that I didn't feel I played particularly fair. I used a lot of drop shots to lure them in followed by a quick smash to the side, or if they're too close a lob. It feels cheap and I did get one person dropping out on me... though if it was a connection issue or rage I couldn't say.

I wish I was better to avoid having to do that, but it really does help...

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 28, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Watching the US Open has gotten me to play more of this.

Diddy Kong is incoming tomorrow!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

creationist believer posted:

this is really good i'm sad they didn't go with that

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/1035934793312026625

Apparently, losing after you're ahead 4-1 in tiebreaker is reason enough to DC.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

TENNIS HATS FOR EVERYONE!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah seriously the gear is going to help me keep coming back from time to time.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

So, the Co-op Challenge forces you to use Swing Mode. Why would they do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's pretty dumb but I get it. If the Boo rally is any indication they don't plan on you actually moving to do stuff. It's dull enough to be standing like a fool waiting for your turn in line, but it'd be way more boring if you were to just press a button. Also maybe they want it to be harder? Otherwise you'd get the rewards too quickly.

The purple visor requires you play that challenge A LOT. I managed to get the blue and I think I'll stop there, it took ages to get into matches and it's not a guarantee that you'll actually win since the games aren't that easy it being hard to aim properly while swinging I find.

The new island is clearly an afterthought. I appreciate that the boss rush isn't a countdown. I've only tried once and I lost by KO after getting careless. It's way better to take the added seconds.

• Locked thread