Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
$$$???
This poll is closed.
Buy ten UHD QLED curved TVs 2 13.33%
Put it in savings 2 13.33%
420 smuk weed all day 5 33.33%
Goku 6 40.00%
Total: 15 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I got my first real job a few months ago and I have saved up about $10k.

What the gently caress should I do with it? My first thought was "buy ten TVs" but I squashed that quick. I have a credit union account with a decent interest rate. Should I just let it sit and collect interest?

10k represents a lot to me personally and probably not a lot in real world value. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that it hasn't all fallen out of my pockets yet.

DISCO KING fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
10K is a pretty small emergency fund. You may just want to have it read in case of emergency unless you're young enough that your parents pay for healthcare and insurance.

That said, you got a job that matches 401k contribs? If so are you maxing it out? If its a little money job (low enough to qualify) get a Roth IRA. You can do this by googling "set up roth IRA"

Other relevant questions:
Do you have any debt?

How old are you?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Early 20's, no debt, high pay hourly job, no benefits, still on my parent's federal agency healthcare (gently caress yeah). I've heard of a 401k and I know it's a (good?) pit that swallows money until you're old or something. No permanent housing, no big ticket personal items, except the one I'm posting with. I could buy ten of those? I'm totally grasping at straws here.

Maybe I should expand the question:
To someone with a bit more life experience, when you think $10k, what does that mean to you?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
6 months of emergency fund.
5500 in Roth IRA.

The rest... Have fun with it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

DISCO KING posted:

Early 20's, no debt, high pay hourly job, no benefits, still on my parent's federal agency healthcare (gently caress yeah). I've heard of a 401k and I know it's a (good?) pit that swallows money until you're old or something. No permanent housing, no big ticket personal items, except the one I'm posting with. I could buy ten of those? I'm totally grasping at straws here.

To someone with a bit more life experience, when you think $10k, what does that mean to you?

A Roth IRA is a save for retirement account like a 401k but the money is post-income tax..i.e. right out of your bank account. When you don't make much money this is good because when you take it out later, you don't have to pay income taxes on it and it is very likely that DISCO KING age 65 is in a much higher tax bracket than DISCO KING's $20?/hr job.

I'm with the above poster, figure out what you need to live off of for 6 months, put the rest in a Roth IRA. Youtube "401k vs Roth IRA", then google "how to set up a Roth IRA" setting one up is pretty easy and can be done online.

The earlier you put even a little money in it, the more time interest has to compound. An erta year of compounding one something thats been compounding for 40 years is a very good chunk of money, usually.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Ale and whores.

After establishing a six month emergency fund and maxing your Roth IRA, preferably in a Vanguard Target Retirement Fund, of course

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Be smart

5500 Roth IRA at vanguard.com
3500 bank account savings for the ~future~

I wish I had done this when I was 18 (2002). My Roth would have grown to 22,000 by now from just that contribution!

inkajoo
Oct 4, 2015

nyes
I wish I had money... :rant:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

DISCO KING posted:

Roof replacement.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

inkajoo posted:

I wish I had money... :rant:

Don't spend any!

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

DISCO KING posted:

Don't spend any!

You don't really have any money though, you are just a bit less behind on creating your emergency fund than most people.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

CarForumPoster posted:

A Roth IRA
DISCO KING's $20?/hr job.
Roth IRA.
"Roth IRA",
"Roth IRA"

This Roth IRA thing seems important and I'm checking it out. Do I get to take the money out whenever or only when I'm decrepit?
It's also more like $45/hr with super spotty hours. When it rains it pours. A good emergency fund might be a good idea. I really want my next job to be more regular, even if it pays less.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

You seem like a chump so I'm going to say bitcoin.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

According to every loving 20 something I know you're allowed to cash in your retirement account whenever you see a sweet deal on some new skis or you just really want to see Australia, there are exceptions for that.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

DISCO KING posted:

This Roth IRA thing seems important and I'm checking it out. Do I get to take the money out whenever or only when I'm decrepit?
It's also more like $45/hr with super spotty hours. When it rains it pours. A good emergency fund might be a good idea. I really want my next job to be more regular, even if it pays less.

There are laws around taking money out early, I’m sure there’s a lot of YouTubes on this that can explain them better than I.

I don’t know much about Roth IRAs as I use a 401k because my employer makes it easy and I’m high enough tax bracket wise that pre tax deductions are a good deal.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Grem posted:

You seem like a chump so I'm going to say bitcoin.

Can I bet on your gravestone coming up before that pays off?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

DISCO KING posted:

I should lie to you so you don't take out contributions but you can take out contributions easily, just not gains. Don't take out contributions, though, or you'll miss the benefits of compounding. Don't do it. You can, but don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

moana posted:

I should lie to you so you don't take out contributions but you can take out contributions easily, just not gains. Don't take out contributions, though, or you'll miss the benefits of compounding. Don't do it. You can, but don't.

ok. i won't. i promise.

Thanks for all the help. You're all main goons to me.

• Locked thread