Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Perfect timing to have our tarantula friend encounter her worst non-scorpion nemeses as Bog did a rundown of the various predatory arthropods that regard spiders as their prey including this beauty:

http://www.bogleech.com/spiders/spiders13-enemies.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How is it someone mistaking dry horseshit for pumice is what breaks my suspension of disbelief?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Tony Snark posted:

How is it someone mistaking dry horseshit for pumice is what breaks my suspension of disbelief?

Yeah, it's the extreme end of the weird characterization of Wade I mentioned last video. He somehow knows nothing but will try anything.

This is a really good resource. It covers the spider mind control wasp I haven't had a chance to bring up on video, and reading some of the other articles taught me about spider behavior that was only just discovered in 2014. Highly recommended for anyone who wants way more cool info than I could hope to cram in the videos.

Also the update is at the bottom of the last page because of course it would be:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Chimera-gui posted:

Perfect timing to have our tarantula friend encounter her worst non-scorpion nemeses as Bog did a rundown of the various predatory arthropods that regard spiders as their prey including this beauty:

http://www.bogleech.com/spiders/spiders13-enemies.html
...SPIDERGOATS?!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

anilEhilated posted:

...SPIDERGOATS?!

Yep, the ultimate life form. Why not meet them? I mean, they're goats, and the reporter in the video is shocked that they're just normal goats, but they're still out there today, and the spider gene is passed down by heredity so they'll always be out there as long as this family line exists.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
My last post inspired me to compile the resources that have come up over the course of the thread, as well as some of the stuff I've used over the years to learn some of the facts I've shared in the LP. I'll probably add David Attenborough videos and stuff at some point, but for now this should be an entertaining way for everyone to get some more creepy crawly info until I can get another video done.

Resources:
Mr. Vile has shared his own expertise with the thread, answering questions and offering interesting spider facts:
Book lungs and stridulation
Chelicera and eating
Social spiders

Bogleech has created a series of arachnophobe-friendly blog posts with cute drawings instead of pictures of real bugs: Spiderween

The now-defunct Caustic Soda podcast has done numerous episodes on the animals we meet in Deadly Creatures, often with actual scientists as guests:
Web Building Spiders
Hunting Spiders
Scorpions
Wasps and Hornets
Snakes

The podcast Hound Tall did an episode on entomology covering a wide array of topics and personal anecdotes from the guest entomologist's world travels: Buggin Out! - Extreme Entomology and the Amazon (episode begins at 9:50)

Arthro-Pod is a podcast hosted by a rotating group of entomologists, so pick any topic on their episode list that seems interesting and you'll learn everything you need to know about it [CW: lots of pictures of real bugs]: Arthro-Pod

Relevant videos:
Tarantula demonstrates the use of urticating hairs
Meet the spidergoats

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Apparently the horned toad's blood-spray specifically affects canines due to certain receptors in their mouths that other animals don't have. Makes me wonder what purpose (if any) the receptors serve otherwise.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update:
Chapter Six - Entangled

Extras: Gallery Three

Warning: This video is really gross. There's a filthy conversation and some hideous life forms that I need to believe for my own well being don't actually exist.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While I can't confirm the effects of scorpion venom on male genitals, I do know that the venom of the Brazilian wandering spider is capable of causing priapism potentially leading to impotence.

In fact, there are currently studies in a component of the venom for use in treating erectile dysfunction.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 27, 2018

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Yep, that's the exact anatomical misfortune I was hinting at in the video. It's also the reason I added an "extremely vulgar" warning to the episode of Hound Tall I linked in the OP. You can imagine that a group of comedians really go to town on the idea of spider-induced boners for like 10 minutes.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The giant farting tumors are probably just giant slime mold colonies with some artistic license instead of realistic science, nothing new there for this game.

As for scorpions in toilets, when a college friend lived with her parents out in the boonies she'd put on a pair of wellingtons when going to the bathroom at night and usually stepped on a scorpion once a month.

*Fake Edit* And since I'll probably never get a chance to reference this again, in 2016 an Aussie got bit on the wang by redback spiders twice in the same year while using portashitters
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37481251

*Real Edit* Sweet dreams everybody :v:

Brute Hole Force fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Oh Nash of What the gently caress is Wrong with You covered story about a man who got bitten in the dick by a katipo as part of episode twelve: All Creatures Great & Dumb

• Locked thread