Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Soonmot posted:

OMG if I bugged out Ms Charm's quest again, I'm just done with this game. Vagner won't talk to me because I repeated the wine for stories quest too many times, and making the story myself bugs the questline. I'm going to give it a day, but otherwise rip.

Also: For those using random text generator for blue points, how are you getting anything close to a good amount? I've got that set up plus five furnaces for glass and I get way more making glass than hoping my zombie writes the correct type of book.

You just need to give her a gold story. Vagner's wine for stories thing is somewhat unrelated.

The super ultimate story she wants later is something different, and that does require Vagner and a much different drink than wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Awesome, thanks for that!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Awesome, thanks for that!

No problem! Also, for blue points the best thing to do is get the merchant stuff done ASAP until you can sell crates of goods. Then you will have enough money to buy both blue books from the astrologer every week.

You can also get good money with a combo prayer and by unlocking the Lawn decoration for the graveyard. Put lawns everywhere you don't have graves yet and you get a good amount of graveyard rating, which translates into more money.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Soonmot posted:

OMG if I bugged out Ms Charm's quest again, I'm just done with this game. Vagner won't talk to me because I repeated the wine for stories quest too many times, and making the story myself bugs the questline. I'm going to give it a day, but otherwise rip.

Also: For those using random text generator for blue points, how are you getting anything close to a good amount? I've got that set up plus five furnaces for glass and I get way more making glass than hoping my zombie writes the correct type of book.

This is why I set my zombie to generating stories. You can process the stories into books for pretty decent blue points, and the zombie will craft the stories much quicker than it does books.

Also, you realize you can create as many random text generators as you can fit in the lab? Like all other stuff, overdoing it isn't useful as there's a set amount of any item you'll ever need, but if you need blue points a second zombie writer is not a bad investment. Get a zombie with a better corpse rating to make it work faster.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The stories make more sense now that I think on it. But I'm almost maxed out on blue again. No idea why I didn't think to build multiples. But once I get those furnaces running, I pick up about 20 blues every time I walk outside.

Edit yeah my graveyard sucks because I've been doing everything else and just burning corpses

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Edit yeah my graveyard sucks because I've been doing everything else and just burning corpses

That's why Lawns are so great - zero corpses, just stone and peat. Makes for an easy ~300 graveyard rating without burying anyone once you unlock the left side of the graveyard.

You then just tear them out as and when you get corpses to put there.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Graveyard/church is the best investment for passive income. Once you are done upgrading, it's a quick prayer every week for silver/gold.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Personally, I just did two zombies making books and focused on the gravestones and anything that could research into blue points. Make sure to eat a cake before doing the research.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So, from the wiki:

Once you give her the perfume, she requests 1xItem star 3.pngStory item.png Story for her show. Note that giving her one will grant you enough Happiness to continue with the Astrologer's quest line. You'll earn 10 Happiness from this. In addition, if you do not try to get the story from Vagner, as of 1.031, the remainder of Vagner's questline will disappear, preventing the Astrologer's quest to help Ms. Charm.

She needs a gold star love story and when I speak to Vagner, all I get is the Leave option.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't know why it says that because Vagnar does not give you a gold star story regardless of whether or not you've exhausted his silver star questline.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

I don't know why it says that because Vagnar does not give you a gold star story regardless of whether or not you've exhausted his silver star questline.

Good to know, a little more googling tells me that the Vagner questline will continue once I have aristocrat papers.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
IIRC I also thought my game got bugged on the quests at some point. Some googling showed there were indeed some bugs that did that, but some more googling showed that those were fixed. I think the core problem is just that the quest log is really bad at showing progress and what to do sometimes.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Huh, thread still not in the Archives.

Anyway, don't buy their new game, Swag and Sorcery. It's pretty bad.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Megazver posted:

Anyway, don't buy their new game, Swag and Sorcery. It's pretty bad.

Why is it bad?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why is it bad?

It's a game with the gameplay depth of your average mobile idle game, but the grind is somehow even worse and the things idle games mercifully automate, this game makes you do by a whole lot of manual clicking. The good pixel art is its only redeeming feature.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Here's gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNLazFH0Jb8

Yes it does look pointlessly clicky and full of busywork for no real benefit. Calling it a mobile game is not inaccurate I fear, but it is missing the microtransactions to speed up crafting, healing, etc by buying and spending diarrhea crystals or whatever.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

So the humble bundle that has this is ending soon. I heard the early versions were really, really grindy. How is it now that it's been patched up?

Edit: I loved the non-talk to people bits of Stardew Valley, how similar / dissimilar is this (not sure if the title is ironic)?

Kuule hain nussivan fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 4, 2019

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

So the humble bundle that has this is ending soon. I heard the early versions were really, really grindy. How is it now that it's been patched up?

Edit: I loved the non-talk to people bits of Stardew Valley, how similar / dissimilar is this (not sure if the title is ironic)?

I never found it obnoxiously grindy until the mid to end of the game, personally, but they have reduced crafting requirements in the last patch they did and increased resources you get for dismantling stuff which is a pretty big deal. They also added a mid to late game way of raising zombies as workers that will mine/chop wood/run a farm or run resources back and forth which cuts down on a lot of the tedium of going to chop down a shitload of trees because you need 50 planks or whatever. It's not tremendously like Stardew but does scratch the same itch of seeing your graveyard improve over time. There are NPC's to talk to but they're all quest givers for the most part that you have to bring stuff to. I petered out towards the end of my playthrough but go back occasionally to plug away at it a little bit more.

I never played the game without the zombie workers but can imagine when the game first came out without those a lot of the complaints were due to resource gathering. Once you get into the late game where you need lots of materials for stuff it's nice having them filling up your stock over time so for the most part you never have to go out yourself again for wood or stone or whatever.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

I recently started playing this again and I'm getting close to the end game. I do not recommend it.

The zombies help, but it is still super grindy. You need 100s of blue science for several end game techs and you usually only get 1-5 at a time for example.

More importantly, and worse, the game developer seems to actively hate his players.
  • The game has a fast travel mechanic, but it costs more money to use than you will usually make in day.
  • There is more than one event that breaks your ability to make money. These events all take much larger sums of money than you've previously needed for anything to resolve.
  • The NPCs are almost invariably some sort of horrible jerk

You can frequently unlock techs to make something, only to realize you need half a dozen other techs and prerequisites before you can actually use them.

The game has farming, and it is, like so many other side-mechanics, mandatory. However, it's significantly harder than Stardew Valley. Notably, there are two mechanics to force diminishing returns on farming. More critically if you're looking for a Stardew Valley clone, the focus of the game is very squarely on the graveyard. It will provide the vast majority of your income even if you try to go ham on farming.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Isn't the telestone reusable? I recall being annoyed finding that out after I beat the game never buying it because it seemed like a waste of money.

It's a little grindy, but there's no penalty for going slow. Crops won't wither, you don't have to water them everyday etc. Just plant them and then pick them once grown. Even corpses can be put on ice (and if you do leave them to rot, just burn them instead). The way the various questlines work is not super considerate of your time though, if that's something you care about. You really want to try and run them parallel not series. For getting blue blobs, that's a matter of learning and using the systems available to you.

That said, DO check the BeforeIPlay, there's a couple of bits that are... maybe not total gotchas but can speedbump you if you hit them wrong.

This is a comedy game, the NPCs are relatively simple, but not always as one note as they first appear. (but sometimes.)

tl:dr Worth it at the Bundle Price. IMO.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah, it's a one-time purchase and just has a cooldown.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also man. I'm not sure I ever got the people who really pushed the graveyard side of stuff. It's so little money compared to selling crops and crates. Getting the sermons powerful is nice, but also barely related. Would have hated gathering wood without zombies though.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I'll leave it for now and grab it sometime in the future when it goes on sale. The idea of running a graveyard like I'd run a farm is enticing, but I've got plenty on my plate when it comes to games at the moment.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Tylana posted:

Also man. I'm not sure I ever got the people who really pushed the graveyard side of stuff. It's so little money compared to selling crops and crates. Getting the sermons powerful is nice, but also barely related. Would have hated gathering wood without zombies though.

Church rating gives more faith (5 rating per). Graveyard rating gives more income. Getting the grass early and covering both sides of the graveyard in grass gives substantial early game income every week.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Just picked this up on the Steam sale a week ago, am I still good by sticking to RazzleDazzleHour's post in the OP?

Looking for some chill graveyard keeping and happy to get sucked into some marathon gaming, my one concern is sinking a shitton of time into it and then realizing I missed a whole bunch of stuff early on that won't come around again for a long time, like I did in Stardew Valley. Is that an issue at all in this game, or am I fine to just chug along?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
No seasons, no missables. Some minor gotchas that beforeiplay covers.

Oh, and the telestone is a cooldown not a consumable. So.. more worth it than it seems.

EDIT : The 7 days are relevant but not come around pretty quick generally.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Just picked this up on the Steam sale a week ago, am I still good by sticking to RazzleDazzleHour's post in the OP?

Looking for some chill graveyard keeping and happy to get sucked into some marathon gaming, my one concern is sinking a shitton of time into it and then realizing I missed a whole bunch of stuff early on that won't come around again for a long time, like I did in Stardew Valley. Is that an issue at all in this game, or am I fine to just chug along?

There are no seasons. The only time related thing is the week so if you miss something you're never more than a week away from trying again.

The OP guide was written before zombies were added but its fine. The game plays a lot of mean tricks on you that will lock you out of ways to make money. The thing with the donkey is only the first one. You can't technically ever get stuck since there's always some villager who will sell you what you need to get unstuck, but it's otherwise a cruelly unforgiving game and its easy to get stuck or end up buying a tech you can't use without buying three other techs. It helps a lot to delay quests that need money until you'll have a buffer of money available after buying the quest gizmo so you can ride it out if it's one of the mean quests (the mean quests are mostly from the Bishop).

The big things I would suggest is
1) use your starting resources to build a furnace and nothing else until you've built the furnace. There's a lot of other stuff you'll want to build, but it's very easy to get into a position where you need to buy many silver worth of items from the blacksmith to get unstuck if you don't build the furnace first. Silver will be hard to come by for all of the early game since you'll want to throw away more bodies than you bury
2) It helps to avoid burying more than a few bodies in the early game because as you upgrade the church rating, the donkey brings you much better bodies
3) removing blood and fat each increase the white skulls in a body by 1. The game doesn't tell you this at all, but unlike some of the other body parts, the behavior of blood and fat is always the same.
4) Only sell items until the price would drop if you sold another one. The price of items recovers every day so you can afford to let the price drop a few times, but if you do it too many times you'll hurt your ability to make money because the prices will still be depressed the next time you are in town. Note that this is purely a penalty, you can't lower the cost to buy, only the cost you can sell at.
5) It's not too hard to make a self sustaining carrot farm if you grow all the veggie types. You can give the carrots to the donkey and then sell the other veggies to the farmer to cover the cost of buying new seeds to replace the ones you didn't get back during harvest.
6) Don't be mean to the merchant. He has ways to make you regret it. In fact, be nice to people in general. Surprisingly for a game where all the NPCs are dicks, being dicks to the NPCs never gets you a benefit and there are a handful of times it hurts you.

The other mean thing is that when you get to quality items, it has to be the right quality. If someone asks for a copper star item, they won't take a silver or gold, it must be copper. Same deal with the other quality levels. Recipes work the same way.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Do remember that cremation exists nowadays as well. I believe it unlocks after tossing the first body into the river. Once you have cremation, you can simply burn bodies to still get credit for burying them. It's rough on your wood stocks, but once you get that automated, then it's an easy way to make a decent amount of cash and get some extra materials as well. You can even harvest all of the blood/fat/skin/etc. before burning the body.

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug
Has anyone had a bug where the refugee camp NPC never spawns? And you never get the refugee camp as a result? Everything I’ve read makes it sound like that should’ve happened early in my game, but I’ve opened my tavern and have a horde of zombies doing my bidding and stuff and still no camp :( I’m on the Switch if it matters.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

PraxxisParadoX posted:

Has anyone had a bug where the refugee camp NPC never spawns? And you never get the refugee camp as a result? Everything I’ve read makes it sound like that should’ve happened early in my game, but I’ve opened my tavern and have a horde of zombies doing my bidding and stuff and still no camp :( I’m on the Switch if it matters.

I vaguely recall something like this happening. I don't remember how I resolved it, or if it was even the same issue, tbh, but I think I ultimately just needed to do something to trigger it?

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug

Megazver posted:

I vaguely recall something like this happening. I don't remember how I resolved it, or if it was even the same issue, tbh, but I think I ultimately just needed to do something to trigger it?

That's my hope. Weirdly this morning Gerry relocated back to my morgue (from his tent under the tavern) after I became an aristocrat, so maybe I just need to sleep now.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Try to talk to everyone, including Gerry.

The camp itself is supposed to be in the northmost part of the map, just straight up the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The only requirement to unlock the camp is to have the church open. The main refugee guy shows up at your place after that. If you haven't slept a lot, especially if you're using a cheat for infinite energy so you stay awake longer, just sleep a bunch to clear out the queue of events that spawn when you wake up. Make sure to exit your home after each sleep as well, as some events occur right from your bedside, and others when you step outside.