Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

President Beep posted:

why was a university making you use some jankety bullshit like that?

my dude, have you ever interacted with a greybeard linux sysadmin in academia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Suspicious posted:

ugh, no way.

*crosses self*

pram
Jun 10, 2001
*snaps suspenders*

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Suspicious posted:

god theyve been there forever

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
one of em was asking for a mother loving scsi pci card last week

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

printers are the worst and the best kind is the old dot matrix ones that print whatever character comes over the cable

influx.
Dec 16, 2007

Nice pants!
i dont have to janitor printers any more and this makes me happy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Suspicious posted:

one of my friends works at a university and wanted to get the university websites using https; they got pushback from the greybeard sysadmin because he was afraid it would incur a performance hit

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
note, this happened in the year 2018, not like ten years ago or whatever

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i had a old laserjet 4e or something and if i installed the wrong printer driver on my linux it would print 99999 pages with a single bugged out character on the top corner of the page and the job could not be stopped or cleared afaik until it finished its task so id have to stand there and put more paper in for like an hour till it finished cumming. it was cool

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i got a big canon imagerunner copier/printer with the screen and poo poo on it now and its driver has got some bug with osx where it cant print envelopes but i got a sla or something this time so the canon dude has to come in and fix it or something for them and not me lol. its cool. works good on my epic linux and windors rigs tho... pwned bitches

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Suspicious posted:

how about a greybeard windows sysadmin? his email signature still listed his windows nt certification

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’ve been tasked with finding a new plotter/scanner for work and I’ve found a canon and a few HPs that might be suitable. I’m really paranoid about picking out a piece of garbage tho.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

President Beep posted:

Ive been tasked with finding a new plotter/scanner for work and Ive found a canon and a few HPs that might be suitable. Im really paranoid about picking out a piece of garbage tho.

plotters kick rear end

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i almost got a plotter off LA shares website (free trash for nonprofits) but i didnt get it. i shoulda. coulda printed a 2 story high dick and balls, and put a big swastica on my roof lol. that would have owned. could plot out a big pic of richard "lowtax" kyanka and hung it from a battle ship before pummeling the reddit head quarters with rockets, missiles, bombs, and endless harpoon volleys

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

the one we have now is some decade old hp shitbox with an anemic 128 megs of internal memory and I can’t print out anything larger than a C format because it’ll poo poo the bed and lock up. reboot takes like ten minutes. :negative:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i refuse to buy a printer so every time i need to print something i have to go to the fedex store and it blows. but it's better than owning a printer.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i don’t blame you in the least. printers are universally bad and you’d think they were only invented five years ago or some poo poo i hate them.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

i got a new brother laser printer for like 50 bucks or something about a year ago and its been worth it. Black and white only but who cares

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

i got a new brother laser printer for like 50 bucks or something about a year ago and its been worth it. Black and white only but who cares

Same, I only print poo poo like once a month but it's been so worth it to not deal with that poo poo. Also apple print seems to work just fine on that crap so yay I guess

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

my computer has been printing non-stop for the last several hours. when i try to make it stop printing, my computer says "you don't have permission to stop printing"

it's nearly run out of paper three times and i'm worried it will run out of ink. any ideas?

op can this please just be the printer thread now? my spider sense tells me it’s a niche that needs to be filled.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

President Beep posted:

I’ve been tasked with finding a new plotter/scanner for work and I’ve found a canon and a few HPs that might be suitable. I’m really paranoid about picking out a piece of garbage tho.

we've got a bunch of HP T3500 plotter/scanners that seem to hold up well.

we're lucky in that we've got a local vendor we have a good working relationship with, makes it a lot easier.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
printers are just disobedient lil' robots is all

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

nice! that’s within our price range too. color scan?

e: oops. found the full specs. yep, color.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

President Beep posted:

nice! that’s within our price range too. color scan?

yeah they do color scanning, also color printing.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah they do color scanning, also color printing.

thanks for the suggestion. this actually looks like a good candidate.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

brother does make a nice and cheap laser printer

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Smythe posted:

i almost got a plotter off LA shares website (free trash for nonprofits) but i didnt get it. i shoulda. coulda printed a 2 story high dick and balls, and put a big swastica on my roof lol. that would have owned. could plot out a big pic of richard "lowtax" kyanka and hung it from a battle ship before pummeling the reddit head quarters with rockets, missiles, bombs, and endless harpoon volleys

cool

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I havnent owned a printer in like a decade wtf are you all printing all the time

just print poo poo at work

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
have you tried asking her nice to stop (all computers are women because male brains are too tiny and incapable of multitasking to make good computers)

influx.
Dec 16, 2007

Nice pants!
we got a hp pagewide 4000 xl last year. poo poo is big. had to knock down a wall to get it in the room they wanted it in.

i really dont deal with it much, the good local vendor support thing is a must have for these

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

one of my friends works at a university and wanted to get the university websites using https; they got pushback from the greybeard sysadmin because he was afraid it would incur a performance hit

:psypop:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have seen websites have issues because they used too much SSL on an old operating system like RHEL 6 that werent taking advantage of the newer adcx instructions or whatever on modern processors so its not unheard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Smythe posted:

lol

• Locked thread