Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Homemade? The store bought stuff is usually terrible, because it's usually picked wayyy too early in the season by guest workers who lack experience or just want to fill quotas. The real stuff comes from hidden hideyholes where they've had a chance to develop flavor.

The real deal has a very strong taste unlike basically anything else. And it is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Just commercial stuff. Swedish. Not IKEA brand but may well be picked by the same crews.

I didn’t expect it to be the crème de la crème, but I was expecting it to at least vaguely gesture at the flavour of the berries as blackberry or raspberry preserves do. It tastes like nothing really. It’s sweet and it makes toast go down better than butter alone. That’s all I can say for it.

It makes sense that picking them too early would be a critical flaw. Cloudberries are notoriously fragile when ripe.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Platystemon posted:

Just commercial stuff. Swedish. Not IKEA brand but may well be picked by the same crews.

I didn’t expect it to be the crème de la crème, but I was expecting it to at least vaguely gesture at the flavour of the berries as blackberry or raspberry preserves do. It tastes like nothing really. It’s sweet and it makes toast go down better than butter alone. That’s all I can say for it.

It makes sense that picking them too early would be a critical flaw. Cloudberries are notoriously fragile when ripe.

Shame. Yeah, you pick them early and they don't taste anything. Our home made jam of ripe berries tastes extremely strongly of cloudberries, and is delicious. I guess they just aren't compatible with capitalism, because you kind of have to pick them too early in the season or they'll be gone before you get a chance, kind of a classic tragedy of the commons supply type problem.

E: also why people here keep their good places super secret (I didn't even tell my grandma where I found those) and in some places there are even special foraging laws excluding non-local berry pickers. poo poo is serious.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 10, 2020

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Nice piece of fish posted:

Shame. Yeah, you pick them early and they don't taste anything. Our home made jam of ripe berries tastes extremely strongly of cloudberries, and is delicious. I guess they just aren't compatible with capitalism, because you kind of have to pick them too early in the season or they'll be gone before you get a chance, kind of a classic tragedy of the commons supply type problem.

E: also why people here keep their good places super secret (I didn't even tell my grandma where I found those) and in some places there are even special foraging laws excluding non-local berry pickers. poo poo is serious.

Although once made into jam, they’re presumably shelf stable for a year or two?

The world is full of watered down pointless versions of food, whether they’re entirely fake, or just bad attempts that look perfect but taste of nothing.
Honey, Olive Oil, Most tomatoes (in the UK).

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

wooger posted:

Although once made into jam, they’re presumably shelf stable for a year or two?

The world is full of watered down pointless versions of food, whether they’re entirely fake, or just bad attempts that look perfect but taste of nothing.
Honey, Olive Oil, Most tomatoes (in the UK).

They are extremely shelf stable due to high pectin. We freeze ours and they last forever. But they are often eaten way before they turn bad. We have a desert that's just cloudberry jam, whipped cream. Called moltekrem. We make our jam extra sweet after traditional recipies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multekrem

Very aware of the honey quality issue at least. Now I only use locally sourced unpasteurized raw honey, and pasteurize myself during the brewing process. Gives the best results flavourwise.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I suggest winter...

To go to a cabin in Norway.

Fish is trying to kill you or gently caress you, Phil.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I suggest winter...

To go to a cabin in Norway.

Fish is trying to kill you or gently caress you, Phil.

Eh, a little of column A, little of column B.

Although I don't really see your logic. Winter is a perfectly sensible time to go high up a mountain and ski around, visit mountaintops and ice fish. It's actually pretty great.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
So I just found and read this whole thread, awesome cabin, thank you for sharing. I'd love to build something half as nice once life settles down a bit. It's kind of weird, due to Corona all the cabin/remote cabin-appropriate land prices have been spiking dramatically in my area (east coast within a 3-4 hour drive of DC).

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Tyro posted:

So I just found and read this whole thread, awesome cabin, thank you for sharing. I'd love to build something half as nice once life settles down a bit. It's kind of weird, due to Corona all the cabin/remote cabin-appropriate land prices have been spiking dramatically in my area (east coast within a 3-4 hour drive of DC).

Glad you're enjoying it! It's certainly more than possible, if I - very much an office schlub - can do it, then so can you.

Interesting that cabin/cabin-land prices have risen around you, it's the same over here. With the quarantine meaning folks can't go to their cabin in sweden anymore and cabins already being wildly popular AND the market getting a massive boost from from people desperately trying to grab a cabin (because that's really the ideal holiday destination for the next few years due to covid) prices have gone completely nuts. It's pretty crazy and short-sighted in my opinion, but also I can see the appeal, it's really something else to be able to enjoy some serious peace and quiet and a crackling fireplace.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Posting to say thank you for this extremely blessed thread. Fish, you’re a treasure for sharing this over time with us. While this last year has been brutal, your cabin has given my wife and I vicarious escape. We live in Edmonton, Alberta, so similar-ish locales are almost in our backyard, and this has given us food for thought indeed.

Love from a wannabe scandi/nord.

Sorry everyone else for the “unread post!” disappointment :P

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
https://imgur.com/a/U5TM97O.mp4

E: open in browser or imgur app if it don't work right

https://imgur.com/gallery/U5TM97O

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 4, 2022

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Is that the cabin in the last few seconds?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
It is. Just thought I'd toss up a quick video from that perspective as I'm thinking of what to do with this thread.

I'm thinking I might as well include the farm, since we're buying it and I've started renovations. Just so I have some more stuff to post. Maybe post some lamb videos.

E: these videos seem broken on mobile. Gotta look at that later.

E2: VVV thanks, will do.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 4, 2022

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Probably just put a note on it to open it in a browser or imgur, that's what I did when it didn't work for me.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Just did a readthrough of the thread and am thoroughly impressed and jealous! When's the goonmeet?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Greatest Living Man posted:

Just did a readthrough of the thread and am thoroughly impressed and jealous! When's the goonmeet?

Thank you! Hope to put some more stuff on here soon.

Soon as I get a chance anyway. Want to post some more farm stuff as well. Maybe of one of these rascals from my front yard on the wall.

Anyway, goonmeet as soon as I finish the zipline!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Frozen chain.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Rick posted:

Frozen chain.

Livepost!

Bet you didn't know,

they melt from the inside.

It's easter, folks, and time to drink in all the vitamin C you need for the coming winter. It's påske, and that means skiing, utepils and the suntan only the high mountains can deliver.

Happy easter folks. Be back later.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Livepost!

Bet you didn't know,

they melt from the inside.
I didn't! Cool.

It's easter, folks, and time to drink in all the vitamin C you need for the coming winter. It's påske, and that means skiing, utepils and the suntan only the high mountains can deliver.
utepils sounds good.

Happy easter folks. Be back later.
Is that a hair-on hide?
Or a hideously haired hound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

Is that a hair-on hide?
Or a hideously haired hound?

It's a hairy reindeer pelt.

Or a norwegian couch, whatever you want to call it.

The hare though is hidden

I like to imagine it was the easter bunny checking things out.