Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Did you get a full time or part time Mba?

Did you get it from a top 25 program?

Did you effectively stay at the same firm/position?

Were you already making ~$200k before the mba?

1) Part time

2) The part time program is recognized as a top 25 by US News and World Report but not the full time program. Not sure why but I'm sure they got a system to figure out those rankings.

3) I did. I did look around for a while but for engineering, the MBA is a nice boost but the professional engineering license is still the gold standard in terms of value for an higher level engineer or engineering manager. I had a hard time finding better/more managerial work without the PE. When I was doing my job search, I did not have a PE.

4) No. When I was starting with my MBA, it was a little more than half of that. I'm not even sure that my current boss knows I have an MBA and she does not have one herself.

I think every firm is going to have a different take. When I was taking classes, some of my classmates were getting their MBA because they were not able to advance to a management position without it. Some of them would have received a raise. My firm doesn't really care for some reason so it was very much a personal decision. I have no regrets getting it but I just advise everyone get one with their eyes open unless you are going to a top school like the HSWs, Northwestern, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Totally worth it. I have to stress though that besides networking, people also have to apply themselves and they have to set realistic expectations before entering a program.

My BS was in physics (UCSC), and I was fortunate that my program required me to write a senior thesis. This exposed me to research.

MS/PhD was in EE (UCSB). I talked with three professors before deciding which research group I wanted to join. The deciding question I had to all three was: "Where do your students typically end up after finishing their PhD?" All three gave good answers, but I liked one more than the others, so I pursued that professor more aggressively when I finally had the time to join a research group.

Great job, salary, and life followed.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

if I get a MS from a poo poo school but it would cost me almost nothing, do you think it's worth it for resume purposes to get a related grad cert from Harvard Extension that would cost about $11,000 out of pocket? I don't know what anybody thinks about Harvard Extension, or of grad certs. TIA

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I started at community college and had no loans but, when I transferred the university I transferred to rengeged on their transfer agreement and I had to spend a year retaking, expensive, courses for my BS. My grad work paid for itself and even though its stem, life sciences, almost everything listed now is underpaid. Additionally, all the industry places I've worked have been awful so I am regretting declining the army officer program I was offered sophomore year.

Community college - 0$,
Undergrad - 30k,
Grad - 0$.

Average salary looking at all the industry and academic jobs I've had ~40k$.

Worth it?

Maybe, I really like teaching at this level but, the money is awful and money may not bring happiness but, it sure does help deal with all the things life throws at you that cause unhappiness.

E: This does not consider the time cost of all of this. Which was far more costly than I thought because as my friends and I have grown up many of them that decided to stop at a bachelors or go directly into some type of career were able to start families and get established.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 27, 2019

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Doctor Dogballs posted:

if I get a MS from a poo poo school but it would cost me almost nothing, do you think it's worth it for resume purposes to get a related grad cert from Harvard Extension that would cost about $11,000 out of pocket? I don't know what anybody thinks about Harvard Extension, or of grad certs. TIA
I would guess no, but what cert/what positions would you be applying for after?

CourtFundedPoster
Feb 2, 2019
I just recently received my AA from a community college and I'm pretty happy with the whole process, but my case might be region specific.

Florida is a pretty terrible state in terms of education (and many other things), but one weird quirk of our system is that our in-state tuition costs are some of the lowest in the country. In fact, last time I checked the only state that had lower costs than we did was Wyoming.

This means if you are a low-income student like I am and can get FAFSA and attend a local community college, the funds you will receive will often not only cover all of your costs for a semester (assuming you have transportation and boarding already covered), but also leave a sizable excess, making the entire exercise weirdly profitable. I think I made almost $4000 dollars over the course the last year and a half.

The calculations are obviously a lot less rosy for state universities, which is why I'm going to save up for a while before I make the jump, but so far I would consider the decision to go to community college one of the better ones I've made in my life.

CourtFundedPoster fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 3, 2019

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My sister went to Yale. I went to the University of Iowa.

We both have STEM bachelor's.

She also has a PhD. I just have the B.Sc.

I make more than twice what she makes.

That said, the differences in our incomes is based on career choice not college we went to, and I think going to seriously high quality schools has some potentially pretty major intangibles associated with them.

My other sister graduated from Smith but it was with a double major in sociology and anthropology so I'm not sure it's worth talking about her financial accomplishments.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

what the fucks a grad cert

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

bird with big dick posted:

what the fucks a grad cert

http://bfy.tw/MBe5

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I have a bachelors in sociology and masters in social work and make almost 100k a year :shrug: If you have a sensible career plan, social science can be a good choice

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
BS in Accounting

CPA License

Making 100,000 base, with generous profit sharing at end of year (usually 20% of base).

I think Uni can be worth it if you stick to degrees where there are shortages STEM and Accounting. On the west coast I know plenty of guys who get into heavy construction and can make as much as me with a high school diploma.

Also never, ever do private university. That was my mistake, not even remotely worth the cost.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend is an LPN and got accepted to a LNP-RN bridge program. As soon as that happened, she started "thinking out loud" about advanced degrees that she can move on to from there like a BSN, nurse practitioner, or even MSW. And of course, that restarted my thoughts of getting an MBA. From the outside, it doesn't seem worth it to me right now as I already have a good paying job that I enjoy. I've also recently completed a course for six sigma black belt certification, and I'm working on a few other projects now to actually get the certification, as well as LEAN at the same time.

Convince me not to do something dumb and sign up for $40k plus in MBA costs please goons I need your help.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what job will the MBA help you get that you don't qualify for today

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Not even close, for me anyways.

California resident checking in.

I went to community college (2003-2005.5) which was good in terms of cost and spent a little over $1,800 in tuition for my 2.5 years with the help of a grant that kept things like books down and dented my tuition a bit. Normal cost was around $450/semester IIRC.

Transferred to San Francisco State where I spent another 2.5 years. I took out around $14,500 in student loans in total, on top of working 32hrs a week and carrying 12-15 semester units every semester for 6 semesters.

IIRC tuition was roughly $2500-$2700/semester back then but rent (even back then) was expensive and gobbled up most of my work income.

Finishing with a BA in English net me next to nothing as I graduated right into the recession in 2008 and fell back to bartending, something I'd done a little bit at the end of my college career.

Now, fast forward 10 years, and I'm a career bartender who actually has a bangin job that, at this point, I wouldn't trade for the world.

I make about $110,000 a year working 35-40ish hour weeks and love it because I still have a good amount of free time, can take off time whenever I want, my healthcare is provided at literally no cost to me other than a $30 co-pay and $5 RX's, company matches 3% for my 401k...the list goes on.

My fiancee has her MA in Healthcare Administration and works at a start up biotech company making around the same but her benefits would cost us ~$550/mo and they don't have a match yet on 401k.

She also has roughly $58k in student loan debt from BA and MA combined.

Additionally, the company I work for kicks rear end (as if that wasn't apparent enough) and I've already been tabbed to take over leadership roles in other franchises as we expand, with a ton of upward trajectory ahead of me.

If I could do it all over again I would have skipped SF State and either gone right into bartending to build up my resume or tried to get into real estate early on as opposed to now.

Just finished paying off my student loans btw 2 months ago. Annoying as gently caress and I really regret those, even though they weren't nearly as bad as some other people I know.

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I think there's a really big caveat which people applying to college should be aware of -- the top ~5 private universities actually cost less than state schools for most people in the US. If you get into Yale, Harvard, Princeton, MIT, U Chicago, Stanford, or Columbia for undergrad and your family is middle class it is very likely that you will pay nothing to attend and graduate with zero debt because they have extremely good financial aid. Data shows that these colleges also have the highest rates of upward economic mobility by far if your family isn't already rich: http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/papers/coll_mrc_paper.pdf. So please, if you're considering not applying because (1) you think you can't pay for it or (2) you think that people who go there are so smart you could never get in, just apply anyway (you can often get an application fee waiver). Speaking from experience, getting in is basically a lottery, and there are tons of people just as motivated/intelligent as my classmates who didn't even consider applying.