Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The synth pop songs, like compliance or panic station, pressure of half of ST all belong on one record with their Hungry Like The Wolf cover and more Halloween songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I'm going to see if I can make a good Muse album with tracks from 2nd Law, Drones, Simulation Theory & Will of the People. I think there's enough good material from these to make a solid album, will probably have to tinker with Survival in Audacity though.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

The halloween song is easily the stand out to me. Other than that some of these seem fun live but it feels more like a collection of bsides than an album

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SUNKOS posted:

I'm going to see if I can make a good Muse album with tracks from 2nd Law, Drones, Simulation Theory & Will of the People. I think there's enough good material from these to make a solid album, will probably have to tinker with Survival in Audacity though.

I once had a pretty good tracklist/theme for an album mashed up from the good 2nd Law, Drones, and Resistance tracks in my head, but the "concept" wasn't all that coherent by the end.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Luckily I'm not fussed about the concept and just want to ensure that everything flows nicely. It's actually been surprising since initially there's about 5 songs from each album. I hadn't thought about Resistance however since that's where I fell off and 2nd law got my attention again (Supremacy is awesome, Madness is a solid pop song with Queen vibes, Panic Station is really fun and lyrics aside, Survival is a banger. I like Animals & Big Freeze too) so maybe I should pull tracks from Resistance too and make it a double album :v:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SUNKOS posted:

2nd law got my attention again (Supremacy is awesome, Madness is a solid pop song with Queen vibes, Panic Station is really fun and lyrics aside, Survival is a banger. I like Animals & Big Freeze too) so maybe I should pull tracks from Resistance too and make it a double album :v:

Animals & Big Freeze are very underrated; I chalk it up to the track sequencing on that album being so phenomenally bad that it almost felt like deliberate sabotage. I always listen to it with the alternate order I posted earlier, and it's a much better album that way.

I think the re-sequenced 2nd Law actually holds up good enough on its own, so I would only throw the last 3 albums in a blender to try to fix them.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 29, 2022

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

henpod posted:

Well, it's out there now. I like the album, but it's just a shame how short it feels, especially as we've heard nearly half of it before release. It's modern muse, we ain't getting exogenesis or map of problematique, but for what it is, it's good I guess. 36 minutes though...

I remember when the entire world lost their mind because Linkin Park release an album that was 47 minutes long.

This album is a greatest hits album, but with new songs. Each song sounds like it would fit into a different album. For Example, Liberation could be slotted right into The Resistance.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kneecaps posted:

I remember when the entire world lost their mind because Linkin Park release an album that was 47 minutes long.

This album is a greatest hits album, but with new songs. Each song sounds like it would fit into a different album. For Example, Liberation could be slotted right into The Resistance.

With new songs that'd likely be the worst track on the albums they came from

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

Animals & Big Freeze are very underrated; I chalk it up to the track sequencing on that album being so phenomenally bad that it almost felt like deliberate sabotage. I always listen to it with the alternate order I posted earlier, and it's a much better album that way.

I think the re-sequenced 2nd Law actually holds up good enough on its own, so I would only throw the last 3 albums in a blender to try to fix them.

I think the problem is that the start of the album is so strong that it makes the latter tracks seem worse than they are. My biggest gripe with the album are the final two dubstep tracks which I think would be better if they were purely instrumental (no samples or vocals at all, just experimenting with that style and Matt noodling away) and the lyrics to Survival. Something similar bugs me with a track from Drones which has some goofy samples in it, I think Psycho? With the drill sergeant and recruit?

Having listened to The Resistance again, I think 2nd Law was a reactionary album since I think there was a negative sentiment at the time that Muse had disappeared up their own asses? It's a very coherent album with a clear style and direction that they pulled off, but I think it threw me and a lot of other people and so with 2nd Law the band wanted to come out with something much less serious and having the first track be Supremacy, which essentially builds upon the sound of The Resistance but makes it very distinctly Muse at the same time was a great idea. It was kind of a "We're back!" statement. I think Drones was exactly the same, with the band reacting to fans and putting out something heavier. It does make me wonder what the next album might be like given that people were mentioning Reddit etc. is full of positive reactions to Will of the People, but maybe the band will just take away that fans enjoy the variety on the album and approach the next one with the same mindset?

Also, I don't think anyone would disagree that Muse has embraced a sound very similar to Queen with a lot of songs but whenever I listen to Supermassive Black Hole I kinda wish they'd dabble more in that sorta-Prince style. Potential monkey paw moment but I'd love to hear Matt tampering with his voice to emulate Prince's 'Camille' (I think that's what he called it?) vocals and experiment in the style of 3121. They could definitely pull it off imo.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SUNKOS posted:

I think the problem is that the start of the album is so strong that it makes the latter tracks seem worse than they are. My biggest gripe with the album are the final two dubstep tracks which I think would be better if they were purely instrumental (no samples or vocals at all, just experimenting with that style and Matt noodling away) and the lyrics to Survival. Something similar bugs me with a track from Drones which has some goofy samples in it, I think Psycho? With the drill sergeant and recruit?

Yeah, and it's the most hacky drill sergeant poo poo imaginable. I liked Psycho better as a random jam tossed in at the end of another song.

The two halves of The 2nd Law would have worked better as bookends, really. I still really like Isolated System; the backdrop film is one of the least cringey they have and the numbers station stuff added live was great.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm on the third track and this is the worst album I've ever heard

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Yeah, and it's the most hacky drill sergeant poo poo imaginable. I liked Psycho better as a random jam tossed in at the end of another song.

The two halves of The 2nd Law would have worked better as bookends, really. I still really like Isolated System; the backdrop film is one of the least cringey they have and the numbers station stuff added live was great.

Thankfully the drill sergeant stuff is easy to edit out in Audacity but you're still stuck with it in the background during the solo outro, but at least it's buried in the mix.

I agree with those two halves of 2nd Law working as bookends, Unsustainable would have led really well into Supremacy but that dubstep robot voice and the woman talking are really bad. The music is solid though and Matt just wailing at 2:30 actually works, more of that and a little variation in the guitar noodling would have been great, maybe just building up the orchestration at the end as well for a big climax.

Feel the same about Isolated System, it would be perfect if they just removed the samples of people talking and if they wanted some vocals of Matt just wailing it would sound much nicer.

triple sulk posted:

I'm on the third track and this is the worst album I've ever heard

Stick with it to hear the Halloween song at least. Kill or be Killed is a decent Stockholm Syndrome alternate take as well and Euphoria is goofy but good imo.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Kneecaps posted:

Yeah, I had the same though recently. Compliance is also neatly an alternate Panic Station. Euphoria has Invincible / Guiding Light energy.

I like the album, but if we're getting this level of variety on every album it's weird to have such a full-on, distinct aesthetic. But even then, the Halloween video has clips of them in their studio.

Who knows, man. I just want another solo like on Reapers.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Alright here's my first crack at a post-2nd-Law compilation album:

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRMa3p93j6w0XbPY0wqRg-1oyE5Os9LaV&feature=share

1. Algorithm
  2. Reapers
  3. Dead Inside
  4. Pressure
  5. Won't Stand Down
  6. Verona
  7. The Handler
  8. Break It to Me
  9. You Make Me Feel Like It's Halloween
  10. Kill Or Be Killed
  11. Propaganda
  12. Euphoria
  13. The Dark Side (Alternate Reality Version)
CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE: Either end it there or proceed to...

14. The Globalist
15. Drones

...depending on how much melodrama you're in the mood for. (And whether you feel icky about the word "globalist" these days.)

I actually really like the album version of "The Dark Side" but ultimately, "Dead Inside" does all the same stuff better.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Pitchfork review is up

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/muse-will-of-the-people/

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Out of 5 or 10?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Out of 5 or 10?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Bahahahahahahahahah

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Not defending WotP, but they also gave Black Holes and Revelations a 4.2

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

Alright here's my first crack at a post-2nd-Law compilation album

I like this, but can't stand Verona & Propaganda so swapped them with Psycho (with the sergeant stuff edited out) and Blockades, and added in Defector :3: Definitely prefer the album version of The Dark Side as well but it's cool that they put out the alternate version for people that prefer that.

Been going through the Origin of Muse set as well and made my own mix of Showbiz because some of those b-sides should have been on the album. Going through Origin of Symmetry now (basically just adding more...) and god drat, how the hell was Futurism not on the track list by default?! It's insanely good. It really makes me wonder how many b-sides there are for other albums however, since I imagine a few other albums must have a bunch of tracks that never made the final cut and it would be fascinating to hear them.

I'm guessing they don't really have any b-sides these days given how short Will of the People is, since surely they would have made the album more substantial if they had the material? Curious about what, if any, tracks were left off 2nd Law though. I imagine The Resistance must have had a lot of material recorded for it as well.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

IIRC they left off Futurism because they didn’t trust themselves to be able to play it live without loving it up.

Then a couple years later they learned to play better and did Hysteria which is 2/3rds the same song so :shrug:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Turns out its also just a stone banger live, saw it during that mini Psycho tour where they played small venues and got the weird poo poo out

(I just about prefer Spiral Static if we're talking Japanese bonus tracks, but they're all really loving good)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The version of Showbiz I put together ends with Spiral Static, Recess and Forced In. It works really well imo and with the final two tracks in particular I cannot make sense of how they were left off the album in favor of some others because they're amazing. Recess in particular is an awesome track and should have been a single.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

Alright here's my first crack at a post-2nd-Law compilation album:

I've put together a post-The-Resistance album. My head cannon is that Matt went on an epic decade-long bender following the end of the touring cycle for that album and this is how he was found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI4g0Sxs1jA

So the track listing for the double album of the grand return of Muse, titled 'Behold, The Glove' is as follows:

1. Algorithm
2. Dead Inside
3. Reapers
4. Survival
5. Supremacy
6. Big Freeze
7. Won't Stand Down
8. The Handler
9. Break It To Me
10. Compliance
11. Madness
12. Panic Station
13. You Make Me Feel Like It's Halloween
14. Blockades
15. Pressure
16. Euphoria
17. Kill Or Be Killed
18. The Dark Side

Might still add a couple tracks but I think this is pretty solid.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I guess it says a lot if no one is talking about the album, making dream tracklists and so on. Can't say I've listened to it much myself. It's not bad....but having heard what we have from these guys, it's really not anything special.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I like that it's got me back into Muse, I've been listening to their entire library a lot since this released and feel silly for forgetting how good of a band they are. I've also come to appreciate Simulation Theory a lot more as well.

I agree that the new album isn't anything special but I think it could have been if it was more substantial since it's quite short and feels like it's missing 4 or 5 songs. There are some great tracks on it however (does anyone not love the Halloween song?) and from what I've gathered in interviews with Matt during press for the album I think the next one will probably follow on from tracks like Kill or Be Killed & Won't Stand Down and be something heavier.

He's talked about how his son is always at their shows now and is a big Slipknot fan which led to Matt wanting to do heavier stuff and encouraging Dom to learn double bass drums, and while his son wasn't fond of their more recent albums apparently he loves the heavy stuff on The Will of the People. That combined with Matt revealing the first new track via a video of his son headbanging to it in the car was wholesome as gently caress :3:

I think they've got a lot of great songs left to write in the future, even if their albums are uneven, and they're still an amazing live show. They seem to still be very popular as well, even if newer stuff doesn't click as much with those of us that are older fans.

Noticed that they release a lot of singles as well. WotP is only 10 tracks and has had 5 singles, 6 if you count We Are loving hosed. Simulation Theory had 6 singles as well and they even got Terry Crews for some of them. What they're doing definitely seems to be working for them and as someone pointed out earlier, despite our disappointment the band's Reddit is apparently full of praise for the album so I'll still be excited for new releases but keep my expectations in check.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I may have asked this before, but what film has Muscle Museum been used in? I want to say it was in Snatch, or maybe Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, but searching google yields no joy either way - not listed in either OST and no results searching "muse "muscle museum" OST" or whatever either. The opening guitar riff definitely reminds me of a movie, especially funny because I had no idea about the band at the time I heard it (so definitely pre-2004 when I discovered them), only more recently going back and listening to Showbiz did I have an "of I've heard this in a movie somewhere" moment.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I feel fairly confident saying it wasn't in Snatch or Lock Stock but I have no idea, maybe a TV show? I feel like I've heard it in something too but can't place it.

It wasn't that long ago that I heard Neutron Star Collision for the first time since I never paid attention to the Twilight movies and that was apparently the main song for one of them? Pretty good track! Put it out between The Resistance and 2nd Law and it's a good bridge stylistically imo.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Still no joy trying to find out where Muscle Museum was used in picture. Actually I kinda forgot about it; maybe I'll throw on Snatch tonight and see if I'm not crazy.

In other related news, I haven't intentionally watched much John Oliver recently but I saw a clip of him just now and remembered that he has a very similar breathing technique to Bellamy - one you also cannot unhear.

UPDATE: Muscle Museum is NOT in Snatch. I could have sworn... and it's not Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels either because the movie came out a year before the song did. This is going to drive me nuts; I've absolutely heard the first few bars of the song (the guitar riff) in some movie or TV show.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 7, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Bumping this thread because I just saw this announcement even though it's apparently a month old. They're doing an "Absolution XX" anniversary re-issue that comes out in about a month.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/muse-announce-absolution-20th-anniversary-deluxe-reissue-vinyl-artwork-tracklist-buy-3498650

I'm guessing the "remaster" will be pretty matter-of-fact in this case and not a significant overhaul like the remix they did for OOS XX. Absolution seems like it wouldn't really benefit from any audio enhancement, it'll probably look slightly different in an audio editor but not sound different at all.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm guessing the "remaster" will be pretty matter-of-fact in this case and not a significant overhaul like the remix they did for OOS XX. Absolution seems like it wouldn't really benefit from any audio enhancement, it'll probably look slightly different in an audio editor but not sound different at all.

Instead of kinda looking like a series of rectangles, it'll actually be a series of rectangles.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Absolution XX is out, it sounds pretty similar. Perhaps a little thicker and I think I detect some more bass. Decent upgrade from what I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's identical as far as I can tell from A/B testing the new & old versions on YT Music and also checking them against my MP3s. So this is really just if you want B-sides and stuff I guess. And some stripped-back mixes which are pretty cool, though the full instrumental album already exists if you know where to look for it...

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 17, 2023