Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Legs Benedict posted:

to the tune of like $180mm yeah

I thought they bought out of Microsoft but I never heard anything about Activision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

xzzy posted:

Whichever lawyer writes bungie's contracts must be a genius for the company to be able to remove themselves from ownership twice in their history and not really lose anything for it.

They lost Halo, which was at that time a massive beloved franchise. I'd consider that a pretty big loss.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Close this trash down, we're going to the moon for the first time in human history here:

NEW THREAD: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3900022&pagenumber=1#lastpost

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

galagazombie posted:

They lost Halo, which was at that time a massive beloved franchise. I'd consider that a pretty big loss.

I don't think they consider that a loss, they were loving sick of it. Now there's rumors of Bungie having a new game out in 2025, so maybe they're getting sick of Destiny too!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Now if only CoD could get the hell of the Blizzard launcher.

Not because I don't like the Blizzard launcher, I just liked it more when it was easier to forget it's Activision-Blizzard.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

qbert posted:

I thought they bought out of Microsoft but I never heard anything about Activision.

They bought themselves from MS. They were never owned by Activision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

xzzy posted:

I don't think they consider that a loss, they were loving sick of it. Now there's rumors of Bungie having a new game out in 2025, so maybe they're getting sick of Destiny too!

I know all about how sick they were off Halo, but things like royalties and residuals and reselling the games unchanged on a newer system as an "HD Remaster" were probably sorely missed. In these days where every "classic" game can be put on the download store of every pocket calculator, being able to resell Combat Evolved for 30-60 dollars every three years is a wonderful effortless income stream.