Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
Hey, contary to the post title, I do read manga but sparsely. I've been having a hard time getting into them as their format tends to confuse my eyes alot. That, and most of of the art I see is very offputing I guess. what's better to do than ask a bunch of random strnagers

here's what i'm looking for:

• comdey, fantasy, action, adventure, sci fi. doesn't matter if it's shonen or shojo but mostly shonen (depsite the fact i'm female)
  • interseting art styles. none of that moe blob poo poo.
  • romance is not the main focus but it's a plus for me.
  • good character development (both male and female)
  • mostly lacks cliches but a few I can tolerate.
  • isn't sqaurely in japan most of the time.

with that being said, hope ya'll can concoct some good reccomedations for me. Good luck, ya goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Witch Hat Atelier is done by one of the most talented illustrators alive today. If what you care about is art in your comics its ace.

A lot of inspiration from durer woodcuts and moebius.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 7, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://mangadex.org/chapter/15946/1

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Full Metal Alchemist is top-class fantasy stuff. Good plot, good characters, doesn't wear out it's welcome, has a great ending.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Read Helck!

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Pierson posted:

Full Metal Alchemist is top-class fantasy stuff. Good plot, good characters, doesn't wear out it's welcome, has a great ending.

Yeah full metal alchemist fits your criteria perfectly.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Yokohama Shopping Trip

Ultra Heaven

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (lovely box set for not too much on amazon, or I'm sure you can find it some other way)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Jealous is my favorite currently running manga :twisted:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Honestly, your requirements are so wide Im just gonna list a bunch of stuff I like out of a bunch of different genres.

Monster - The story of a surgeon who saves a killers life, then goes on to track him down in East Germany
Genre: Suspense/Thriller
In Japan: Only at the beginning
Art: Nothing awe inspiring but Urasawa has his own unique style and its pretty divorced from the generic anime style
Romance: Absolutely none

Hinamatsuri - A psychic girl from the future drops onto the head of a Yakuza in the middle of the night. She forces him to take care of her and they eventually learn to live with each other
Genre: Comedy. One of the few mangas I can say is legitimately funny instead of something that just makes me go "heh" every now and then
In Japan: Yes
Art: Bad at the start, but unique and serves its purpose
Romance: A little bit, theres a few chapters about the psychic tryin to hook up her foster dad with a bartender. For the most part tho this is about a Father-Daughter bond

Full Metal Alchemist - In a world where alchemy is real Edward Elric and his brother Alphonse are out searching for the Philosphers Stone. This eventually leads into them being drawn into the military as State Alchemists and getting drawn into a world of secret plots
Genre: Action/Adventure
In Japan: Takes place in a fantasy world
Art: Excellent
Romance: Yea theres some in the background

Dungeon Meshi - A group of adventurers are challenging a dungeon when they get completely destroyed by a dragon. The main characters sister sacrificed herself so the others could escape, so they have to rush down and kill the dragon and resurrect her before shes completely digested. They eat the monsters they kill on the way down since they didnt have the time or money to get supplies
Genre: Cooking/Adventure
In Japan: Takes place in a fantasy world
Art: Absolutely wonderful
Romance: Nah, not really. One guy liked one girl at some point but its not a big plot device.

One Piece - If you want to take on one of the Big Boys that have been around for a billion years and have a zillion chapters this is the one. The story of the man who will be the pirate king, hes out to assemble a crew and tackle the roughest sea the worlds ever known: The Grand Line
In Japan: Takes place in a waterlogged fantasy world
Art: Extremely unique, to the point that a lot of people who like manga and anime would go 'Ehhh it just looks so wierd Im not that interested in it'
Romance: The author straight up said this isnt ever gonna happen. Everyones in love with the concept of adventure.

Uzumaki - Strange things are happening in town. Hard to describe, it starts as just the strange and unsettling things that are happening locally. Junji Ito is absolutely wonderful when it comes to making strange and unsettling horror situations.
Genre: Horror/Suspense
Art: Weird and gruesome at times, although I think he draws peoples faces strangely
Romance: Nah

Jitsu wa Watashi Wa (My Monster Secret) - A dude who cant tell a lie suddenly finds out a Real Big Secret about his classmate: Shes a vampire. If her dad finds out her secrets out she will get pulled from school so hes gotta do his best to keep it.
Genre: Romantic Comedy. This is a special romcom because unlike every other romcom the main characters actually get together at the midpoint instead of the very last chapter.
Art: Sorta bad everyones got big ol googly eye faces but whatev, its a romcom not a fantasy epic.
Romance: Yes, although the main character gets a bunch of girls following him around the story makes it obvious that hes only really interested in the other main character.

Jojos Bizzare Adventure - The Joestar Bloodline gets pulled into a lot of supernatural BS. Excellent, one of my favorites, its just fun. Broken up into 8 stories, the main character changes to a different descendant of the same family every time a story wraps up. Lots of goofy posturing and bonkers explanations for how the characters manage to swing a fight into thier favor. The first story isnt awesome but its also short.
In Japan: Two of the Eight stories take place in japan. Its a very globetrotting sort of deal.
Art: Youll love it or hate it. Im on the love it side.
Romance: Theres some. As much as in any other shounen punching story.

Im tryin to think of more stuff with romance in it, but everything that has a love story as a focus is almost always set in japan. My Love Story is excellent, Girlfriends is great but the generic art might be a turn off, Kaguya Wants to Be Confessed To is along side Jitsu Wa one of the only romcoms I actually like. Theyre all Japan though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Knights of Sidonia might interest you. It's a sci-fi transhumanism tale about the sidonia, a massive colony ship searching for a new home after earth was destroyed by alien entities known as the Gauna. It's got a lot of really neat designs, lots of mech battles or otherwise, some real good cosmic horror stuff, and also a very cute and unique romance at one point. Also a talking bear. Not like a mascot critter, but a grizzly bear who talks and pilots a mech suit and is played completely straight.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dorohedoro is a super great fantasy thing in a very atypical setting. It also lacks the sort of aesthetic people normally associated with manga/anime, so I think it's a good thing to recommend to people who aren't necessarily "into anime" or whatever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, dorohedoro rules, and is supposedly about to finish

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
In the vein of Monster I would recommend Pluto by the same artist; It's 9 volumes long so it's more digestible if you want something shorter. The premise is a sci-fi murder mystery thriller set in a world where robots and humans coexist. It's very similar to classic sci-fi in that it explores a lot of contemporary issues viewed through the story's universe as well as some ideas unique to the setting. The artist does love action movie tropes so you'll see a few.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

Dorohedoro is a super great fantasy thing in a very atypical setting. It also lacks the sort of aesthetic people normally associated with manga/anime, so I think it's a good thing to recommend to people who aren't necessarily "into anime" or whatever.

Oh my gooooooooood I love Dorohedoro and I totally forgot to mention it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm too lazy to think of rec's on my own so i'll endorse others instead.

Dorohedoro is excellent. Excellent. Character faces are very uh, stereotypical anime and samey, but that's literally the only downside to the art. The backgrounds and world are very detailed and grimy future-/fantasy-punk, and the character designs are very good, detailed and varied (aside from aforementioned faces, which the author deftly mitigates by having almost everyone wear masks). The worldbuilding and storytelling is something you'll find in basically no other manga, and aside from very japanese food, nothing else will remind you of said country. Sorta dark and violent though if that's not your thing, but whimsical at the same time.

Post-apocalyptic daily life and drinking coffee. Meant to evoke a sort of wistful feeling. If you're not feeling it after a couple chapters - it's not goona get better. Just drop it (i'm speaking from experience)
This has some primo art, drug-fueled nightmares have never been so pretty, does some truly inspired things in manga as an artistic medium with panel layout and flow. More or less unfinished though, so don't read it for the story. Still recommend it.

Dungeon Meshi (a.k.a. Delicious in Dungeon)
Top pick. If you're even somewhat into conventional fantasy (it's no coincidence the english title can be shortened to DnD) you should probably read this. Art is pretty manga-like (softer and rounder, big faces), but not extremely so. Characters are nuanced and fleshed out, even those not in the "hero" party. Art is very good on a conceptual level, like panel flow/layout/detail, but not mind-blowing at a glance. Worth lingering on sometimes. The author also has some older, excellent short story compilations that are worth a look.

Hinamatsuri
Very japanese, but very funny. Translation quality can kind of swing wildly. Art is serviceable, and takes getting used to if you aren't already. If you've ever wondered what it would be like to raise a child with super powers when you can't chastise them (because they'll force-choke you and turn your body into a pretzel with their mind), you should read it. If you haven't, well, read it anyways.

I got bored so i'll stop here, well these 4 should keep you busy for a while anyways

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

HenryEx posted:

If you've ever wondered what it would be like to raise a child with super powers when you can't chastise them (because they'll force-choke you and turn your body into a pretzel with their mind), you should read it.

It's hard to raise a child when you're a man who only cares about blood, violence, and money.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and fancy pottery

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

good to see a bunch of people recommend dorohedoro because it is very good and the last chapter drops in 4 days so there is really never been a better time to read it. Of course an actual translation of the chapter wont be out for months but whatev

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I knew I liked you. YKK is a top-notch rec.

I think some of Kaoru Mori's works would be in your wheelhouse, fruity.
Emma is one of her completed works, set in Victorian England. Mori really likes maids, and it shows. It's pretty romance-centric, but not to it's detriment at all.
Otoyomegatari is one of her currently running series (along with Shirley, which is also worth a read), and has romance in it but it's not ... cliche about it. It's set in the West Asian steppes in the 1800s, and it's beautiful.

E: oh, and I linked the mangaupdates page for otoyo because i know for sure it's being licensed and the physical volumes are gorgeous.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 9, 2018

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

If you never watched the anime, Dragon Ball (not Z) is an iconic adventure/comedy series.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

K-ON has everything you need and more

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Fruity20 posted:

Hey, contary to the post title, I do read manga but sparsely. I've been having a hard time getting into them as their format tends to confuse my eyes alot. That, and most of of the art I see is very offputing I guess. what's better to do than ask a bunch of random strnagers

• comdey, fantasy, action, adventure, sci fi. doesn't matter if it's shonen or shojo but mostly shonen (depsite the fact i'm female)

with that being said, hope ya'll can concoct some good reccomedations for me. Good luck, ya goons.

Gotta second Yokohama Shopping Trip; it's one of the best manga ever written IMO.

To add something new: Land of the Lustrous is a surreal fantasy about gem-people fighting evil Buddhist lotus-people from the moon.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Baki the Grappler

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Full Metal Alchemist, though I actually prefer it in anime form as FMA Brotherhood.

Berserk if you're okay with lots of blood and sex.

Witch Hat Atelier for having the best character designs and crosshatching.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Read Berserk.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Misappropriation Investigator Nakabo Rintaro

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Witch Hat Atelier is done by one of the most talented illustrators alive today. If what you care about is art in your comics its ace.

A lot of inspiration from durer woodcuts and moebius.

Holy poo poo I'm glad someone recced this because I hadn't heard of it at all and it's fantastic. :aaa:
Thanks Sharkopath and ccs!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

witch hat atelier is good

hinamatsuri is hilarious

but my favourite manga ever is grand blue:

it's a comedy series with some extremely highly detailed reaction faces

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Battle Angel Alita. You can read the first chapter of the first volume in the link I gave, then you can read all the books from volumes 1-9, then all of Last Order, then join us in the Battle Angel Alita: Mars Chronicle thread once you've caught up!

It is a long-running, classic cyberpunk action sci fi series about a cyborg who finds new life after being resurrected from a hibernation state by a kindly doctor with a dark secret. The thing I love about it is that despite all the high-energy action, it's ultimately about ideas and characters. It's hard to explain, but a large part of the appeal is found when you "get" Yukito Kishiro's offbeat, surreal, dark humor interspersed with all the random sci-fi/speculative science that he reads and then integrates as a thinly-veiled justification for whatever wacky nonsense he decides to throw at the reader that day. It's a kind of jazz-like, "make it up as you go along" feel that never ceases to entertain.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Fruity20 posted:

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is a series by story-telling savant Satoshi Mizukami. It's the type of story that tees up a cliche and either knocks it out of the park or misses the swing and flings the bat into the stands at every opportunity. Draws largely from shounen roots, and has elements of comedy, fantasy, action, adventure, and at moments dips into sci-fi. The art starts off a bit rough around the edges, but grows into itself over time, eventually even becoming quite good I'd say. I definitely find it charming and expressive, even if it's not a showcase of meticulous detail or artistic ingenuity.

Mizukami has a very distinctive no-nonsense character focus in his stories, which means that while the cast is quite large, all of them get their day in the sun, they all learn and grow, and nothing gets drawn out unnecessarily. The main couple in particular get the bulk of the focus, but everyone is quite fun and memorable in their own right. It's a larger than life story that's inevitably mired in human emotion, and it's something I think everyone should read if they have even the slightest inclination to do so.

About the only thing it doesn't hit for you is that it's set in Japan, though this has ultimately no bearing upon the story itself and could easily be set anywhere. Here's the archived thread where people read and commented on it as it was released, and here's the plot synopsis from the active Mizukami thread:

quote:

Yuuhi Amamiya wakes up one morning to find a lizard on his bed, and to his surprise it talks to him, claiming that he has been enlisted as a beast knight to save the world. All well and good, except Yuuhi turns out to have a pretty twisted personality and no real desire to do anything to help anyone. That is, until he meets the "princess" of the beast knights...who says she wants to destroy the world herself! Yuuhi immediately pledges his loyalty to her, and the rather unconventional tale of the Lizard Knight and the Lucifer Princess begins. This series has been completed and it owns a lot.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 11, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service is also really good. Might be hard to find online because its licensed but its a lot of fun. Stories veer between horror and comedy and mystery.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ccs posted:

Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service is also really good. Might be hard to find online because its licensed but its a lot of fun. Stories veer between horror and comedy and mystery.

Please support the official release

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I own a bunch of the Kurosagi books. They're high quality stuff from Dark Horse.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Fruity20 posted:

Check out Boku no Pico.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ichi the killer fulfills all but your final bullet point op

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Pewdiepie posted:

Check out Boku no Pico.

:siren: Don't recommend shotacon please.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
thanks for all the recommendations you guys!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

Check out Boku no Pico.

Wait a second that's not a manga.

• Locked thread