Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Huragok posted:

as far as what you should be doing

a g I t a t e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hruSHRsZ1JU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

It's been great. I think it's really just that most people, especially working-class people, don't know how a budget works. And they can't really predict what they'll need, especially when until recently, many of the committees didn't do much, so there's little useful data.

But that's why the finance committee exists! So hopefully we'll start correcting that moving forward.

:hellyeah: everyone's better learning from each other and learning how to do what's needed. data's a bit biased on my side since I know what to collect and look for and all, but not everyone knows how to do that

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Victory Position posted:

:hellyeah: everyone's better learning from each other and learning how to do what's needed. data's a bit biased on my side since I know what to collect and look for and all, but not everyone knows how to do that

I have an MBA, which is why I wanted to be on the Finance Committee (I sure as poo poo ain't gonna be a manager ever again). I want to help others who don't know how to do that.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Oh, hey sweet, I just found the thread, I've been a member in the UK for several years. Most of the time has been at large but I've reached out to the Freelance Writers Union since I used to write copy and still occasionally submit stuff for publication.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Just had a chat with an organiser for the Freelance Journalist Union, it was an interesting discussion, still early days but they've been overwhelmed with the interest they've received, and have a strategy of sorts for targeting several employers.

There's also a website now https://freelancejournalistsunion.org/ they're still very interested in reaching out to anyone interested in getting involved and sharing their experiences in the industry, including people who've worked for websites and other online jobs.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh gently caress i never saw this

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Just went through OT101 and folks, it's good! Gonna need to work on building some more support structures in my local area (gotta herd all the wobblies together into an actual branch), but poo poo may just be moving.

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls
Yeah OT101 is kind of life changing and it loving owns.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

I have an MBA, which is why I wanted to be on the Finance Committee (I sure as poo poo ain't gonna be a manager ever again). I want to help others who don't know how to do that.

:hellyeah: :hellyeah: use your powers for good

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
gently caress why didn't anyone tell me you were gonna start posting in the thread, now I've gotta edit the op to be better

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls
lol get owned effort poster

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

general strike??

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
One of my coworkers is attempting to organize but its looking pretty hopeless. There are maybe 10 people on board and any effort would be largely symbolic imo so i'm on the fence about paying $22 a month for dues.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

tha_hotstepper posted:

One of my coworkers is attempting to organize but its looking pretty hopeless. There are maybe 10 people on board and any effort would be largely symbolic imo so i'm on the fence about paying $22 a month for dues.

If y'all form a GMB and have a secret core at your workplace, you could funnel peeps money and effort towards related industries and try to leverag what you have asymmetrically while slowly innoculating your workplace to have more affinity. Also, you can comp 1-1 food purchases thru your GMB, which is insane and my #1 buy in reason I give to my fellow poor friends to encourage unionization (legit doubling social reproduction with organizing is praxis102 and it feels sooo good)

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
What is a GMB? Im new to this

Edit: found it on the site and applied. Cool thst you only need 10 people to start a branch

thetan_guy42 has issued a correction as of 05:15 on Apr 22, 2019

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

anyone here attend the nyc branch meetings?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

A lot of the Freelance Journalists do considering the New York branch was the main group that started organising in the sector. Speaking of which it seems to be progressing. There have been some meetings, drafting testimonials and a statement of support for a worker being harassed, and we got some interest in the UK, so now its a question of trying to coordinate something.

Oh and we got a new logo

Which I feel is pretty sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

woke kaczynski posted:

What is the IWW?

The preamble to the IWW constitution is as good a place to start as any:

History of the IWW

The IWW was founded in Chicago in 1905. It was marked by a staunch opposition to capitalism and particularly the AFL's compromising with capital, as well as its craft union model excluding unskilled workers. The IWW was notable for being open to women, minorities, and immigrants at a time when that was highly unusual, if not outright illegal. Some notable early wobblies, as IWW members are known, include Eugene Debs, Big Bill Haywood, Daniel De Leon, Joe Hill, Lucy Parsons, Elizabeth Gurley Flynn, and Helen Keller. Notable current wobblies include Noam Chomsky and Tom Morello.

I'm hoping someone smarter than me will post some more history I will edit in later, but let's talk about :

The IWW Today

There are a few thousand IWW members scattered throughout the US and Canada, a few thousand in the UK and Ireland, and some folks scattered all over the world. While a far cry from the 150,000 members the IWW had at its peak, the union has survived political splits and heavy-handed political repression during the Red Scare and continues to punch above its weight. Notable current IWW campaigns and activities include:

• Burgerville: The Burgerville Workers Union has won NLRB elections at two locations, with organizing continuing throughout the chain.
  • Stardust: Stardust Family United dealt with massive firing waves and allegations, ultimately winning back wages and jobs back for any fired workers who wished to return.
  • Prison Strike: The IWW's Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee is one of many groups that has helped organize phone zaps and other support for prison strikes including the latest one starting August 21st and led by Jailhouse Lawyers Speak. IWOC is one of the most active groups in the IWW.
  • GCI: Canvassers with Grassroots Campaigns are fed up with progressive talk from management masking toxic labor practices, and have been organizing nationwide.

In addition, wobblies have taken the organizing lessons they've learned into workplaces around the world, even without public campaigns. For instance, my current workplace will likely never see a public campaign like any of those listed above, but I have organized with my coworkers around various demands, and we won the dismissal of a serial sexual harasser who had been working there for years before I started.

So You Want To Join The IWW
Well hello there, fellow worker! The only membership requirements are:

• You don't have hiring or firing power.
  • You're not a paid officer of another union.
  • You aren't a cop.

You can join regardless of the industry you work in, whether you're a member of another union or not, or even whether your profession is legal or not. (For instance, IU690 is the industrial union covering all sex workers.)

In order to join, I recommend you go here and look up the closest branch to you, then contact them directly. You can also join and pay your dues entirely online, but building relationships with other members of the union is what really makes a difference. If you don't have any branches in your area, you can join as an at-large member, but to be honest that isn't the best experience in the world at the moment. You'll also want to see what industrial union you fit into. Dues are based on income and range from a minimum of $6 a month to $33 a month for the highly paid, self loathing computer touchers among us (hi!)

There's a surprising number of goon wobblies out there already, who will be happy to answer any questions/shitpost endlessly into the ether. Let's bring to birth a new world in the ashes of the old!

been saying this