Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Proud of you. What’s your November budget look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Spokes posted:

Proud of you. What’s your November budget look like?

Well I'll have to re-do it now, but pre-bankruptcy consideration it was:

+2960
-100 Newegg payment
-850 mortgage
-40 meager house/car/vacation savings
-150 car payment
-100 Amazon card payment
-~450 monthly utilities/phone/internet/etc
-600 PSECU card payment
-300 Sheetz card payment
-320 Discover card payment

I suppose my immediate next steps are to more or less stop making payments on those cards, open a new bank account somewhere and start to move what little cash I have over and the direct deposit, and save up the money I'd be putting toward card payments into paying off the $1500 or so in lawyer and filing fees early next year, assuming I clear the means test for a chapter 7.

After it's all done I'd imagine I should crank up my 401k contributions as I have a pitifully small amount in there and am currently only tossing $25/week into it, pay off the car note, and start to build up my savings goals: emergency fund to cover 6 months in expenses, a house/car repair/future down payment fund, and a vacation/date night fund so that stuff can be properly budgeted.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

metallicaeg posted:

Well I'll have to re-do it now, but pre-bankruptcy consideration it was:

+2960
-100 Newegg payment
-850 mortgage
-40 meager house/car/vacation savings
-150 car payment
-100 Amazon card payment
-~450 monthly utilities/phone/internet/etc
-600 PSECU card payment
-300 Sheetz card payment
-320 Discover card payment

I suppose my immediate next steps are to more or less stop making payments on those cards, open a new bank account somewhere and start to move what little cash I have over and the direct deposit, and save up the money I'd be putting toward card payments into paying off the $1500 or so in lawyer and filing fees early next year, assuming I clear the means test for a chapter 7.

After it's all done I'd imagine I should crank up my 401k contributions as I have a pitifully small amount in there and am currently only tossing $25/week into it, pay off the car note, and start to build up my savings goals: emergency fund to cover 6 months in expenses, a house/car repair/future down payment fund, and a vacation/date night fund so that stuff can be properly budgeted.

Even if you don't pass the means test you probably can still file; you just have to do a lot more work to prove it. It's also based on the last 6 months pay, so keep that in mind.

If possible I would definitely increase your 401k ASAP since that is protected under BK.

Edit: And by pass I was referring to the automatic stage of it where you just need to be below your state's median income for your family size. Even if you're not, you likely will still be able to pass the means test it just will take more work.

Raldikuk fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 26, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Declare bankruptcy and then start going to therapy so you don’t spend recklessly in the future.

Maurice Augustus
Nov 27, 2011

No need to get therapy, OP has us.

Edit: Weatherman, Pecota, do you also have links to other threads Droo mentioned?

Droo posted:

Murderknobs: Booze/Alcoholism
Zuarg: Bitcoins
Blue Story: Star Wars crap
Cornholio: stupid cars
DogsCantBudget: Someone to pick up his dog poop for him so he could impress his neighbors
SloMo: Drugs and Opera
And is there a way to save archived threads other than bookmarking them in browser?

Maurice Augustus fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 24, 2018