Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Need to bump this so that there aren't two big updates on one page, so here's an interesting behind-the-scenes bit of trivia.

I was originally going to title this thread something along the lines of "Why are there Tetrominos in the Mean Bean Machine?" until I realized that more people probably know this game than Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, so I just went with the current title.

Update on next page.

EDIT: :shepface: Hooray for unnecessary bumps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Update 5: The Finale is Underway

Video - Puyo-Palooza! (Intro)

Click here to watch!

Music: The Finale is Underway!

: HEY! Get away from there, you blobs!
: Ess! Status report!
: Can't you figure out what's happening...!?
: Huh?
: These blobs just showed up out of nowhere!
: And we've lost control over the Tetra's cockpit!
: Oh no...

: Tee!
: Aren't you the Captain? Do something!
: Th-There's nothing I can do. They're all over the controls!

: Wh-What's that...?
: He says we're caught in that planet's gravitational pull.
: Everyone, brace for impact! We're going to crash!
: Did you say... "crash"?

I love this game.

: Everyone! We need to pop these Puyos as ASAP as possible!

: Right! Let's DO IT!
: Ringo! I want to help!

: You got it!
: And later, teach me how to clear those Tetrominos, 'kay?
: ...I mean, only if we survive, of course.
: *sigh* Ringo...

: We'll be fine! All you need to do is connect four Puyos of the same color! That's all.
: There's some other stuff, like Garbage Puyos and Chains...
: But I'm sure you'll figure it all out, EASY-PEASY!
: Huh...!?
: Exactly! You ready?

Video - Puyo-Palooza!

Click here to watch!

Music: Fun Puyo Puyo Hell (a.k.a. Puyo Funderworld)

Thanks Ringo

I guess we can start out by explaining Chains.

Gameplay Info: Puyo Puyo - Chains

Chains are basically what occurs when you pop multiple Puyo groups sequentially with one pair of Puyos.

The first step on your journey to getting good at Puyo Puyo is knowing the basic approach to intentionally chaining. It's called the "blocking method," and in essence it involves "blocking" a group of Puyos from joining with two or more groups of the same color to form a group of four or more using a Puyo of another color. If you were then to pop that Puyo, the Puyos that had been blocked would then be free to fall down and join with the groups of Puyos it had been separated from, causing them to pop and add another link to your chain.

Of course, you're free to block the blocking Puyo itself from joining with three other Puyos, and now you can see how this would allow you to construct as long a chain as you could manage.

Let's use some visual examples.

Here, we can see the group of green Puyos blocking a blue Puyo from falling into a group of three other Puyos. If we were to pop the group of green Puyos, the blue Puyo would fall onto the other blue Puyos and pop afterwards.

Can you see how this could be extended into a 3-Chain?

Answer: Place a green on top of the yellow.

This is how the chain looked when I decided to pop it with a pair of red Puyos just after the pair of green Puyos falling here. How long of a chain is it? Four chain.

This is the result of me going overboard with the blocking rule in a match. Can you figure out how long the chain is? I'm not giving an answer in spoilers this time, but I will give a hint in the spoilers. See if you can figure out how long the chain is yourself.

Look carefully at the end of the chain.

...Oh right, I still have to explain what a Garbage Puyo is.

Gameplay Info: Puyo Puyo - Garbage Puyos

This is a Garbage Puyo. These fall down whenever you or your opponent clears Puyos, with more of them falling the longer the chain and the more Puyos popped (the length is weighted more heavily than the number of Puyos, though the number of Puyos at the end of a chain could very easily become important). They do not connect to any other Puyos, but they disappear whenever you pop a Puyo next to one.

They're very good at disrupting a chain if they come down in rows of more than one, and they're the primary means for getting a Puyo player to top out.

"But," you say, "wouldn't a 5 chain be enough to end an opponent? Any more would just be overkill."

Well, you clever reader, you would be right... if your last experience with Puyo Puyo in the US was in the 90s. And sometimes, you will still be right. But there's something special in play here: Garbage Offset.

Simply put, when my opponent sends Garbage Puyos to my screen and is done, I have one last pair to use before the Garbage Puyos start raining down upon my head. If I manage to set off a chain right then, any garbage I generate will neutralize (cancel out) any incoming garbage. If I neutralize all of the incoming garbage, then I start sending Garbage Puyos to them.

With Garbage Offseting, a 5 chain is survivable if you have a decent chain ready to go. A 7 chain, on the other hand, requires you to either have a 7 chain or stronger set up to survive. The higher the chain, the more effort your opponent has to go to to survive it.

but it's also just fun to pop a large chain and send large amounts of garbage
if you don't find that fun, what's wrong with you :colbert:

you party pooper

Video - Say Hello to Ess (Intro)

Click here to watch!

: He's a natural at Puyo Puyo battles.
: Well, it's MY turn now!
: HEY!

: I want to learn how to pop Puyos! Teach me!
: You wanna help out...?

: Pshh!
: It's not about being helpful. Clearly, if this starship crashes, I'm in trouble too.

: Wh-What did you say...!?
: Nevermind all that! Show me how to pop Puyos!
: Alright, that's the spirit!

Video - Say Hello to Ess

Click here to watch!

Music: Fun Puyo Puyo Hell

If you tried the blocking method I outlined above yourself, you may have noticed a pretty noticeable downside of it; it's not very efficient, and it's very picky about what Puyos you give it.

(If you're not playing along and are wondering what the hell I'm talking about or how I would know what the method is like given how well I did it on the above video, please keep in mind I too was once bad at this. Now I'm just bad at this in more subtle ways that you would only notice when put up against competitive Puyo Puyo players.)

That isn't your fault, nor is it a flaw in the method itself. The journey to making that chaining rule work for you is the journey of learning to plan ahead and figure out where to drop that upcoming pair of Puyos.

We'll start on that journey by teaching you about a very simple form, so simple a form that most players discover it on their own.

Gameplay Info: Puyo Puyo - Stairs

Stairs has some things going for it: it has a very simple build pattern, and it is very resilient against garbage. For the context of those who haven't discovered it yet or who are too lazy/apathetic to figure it out themselves/buy this game I will outline the basic procedure below.

When you receive a pair of Puyos that are different colors, place them horizontally like above.

When you receive a pair of Puyos that are the same color, place them vertically as in the above screenshot.

Once you get a vertical stack of Puyos about three tall, place a Puyo the same color as the next column over in one of the three rows above it. Ideally, it should be in the first row above the stack.

An ideal Stairs formation would look like the above, but with nothing above the fourth row.

With all of that having been said, I have several problems with Stairs. First off, I found it relatively inelastic and difficult to adapt, but that's just subjective. A bigger problem with it is that if you insist on using it exclusively, some higher-level techniques will be more difficult for you.

Now that being said, if you decide you really like it, there's nothing wrong with using it. But before you stick with it you might want to read my next guide, where I introduce its major alternative.

:argh: ALSO, IF YOU WANT TO MAKE THE STUPID MEME JOKE, YOU'LL DO IT YOURSELF, WITH YOUR $10 ACCOUNT, IN FRONT OF THE THREAD. IF YOU KNOW WHAT STUPID MEME I'M TALKING ABOUT, I'M TALKING TO YOU.

if you don't know what I'm yammering on about, please don't read the thread until the next update... or let anyone know you don't know what I'm referring to

it's for your own good

really

Video - Mascot Mashup (Intro)

Click here to watch!

: We can't let them outdo us, right, Carby?

: Pipipipipipipi~?
: You're Tee's partner... it's "O," right? Did you want to help out too?
: Pipipipi~!
: I guess you and Tee are kinda like me n' Carby, here.
: Isn't that right, buddy?

: Pi-Pipi!
: So... you want to help us pop Puyos, is that it?
: Pipi! Pi-Pi!
: Great! Let's do it!

Video - Mascot Mashup

Click here to watch!

Music: Fun Puyo Puyo Hell

ARRRRRLLLLLLLLLE! :argh:

*ahem* Sorry, that's the trauma speaking. Anyway, let's get on with the last guide for tonight.

Gameplay Info: Puyo Puyo - Sandwich

Time for the other major form people go for. It's a little more complex to build than Stairs and is more vulnerable to Garbage Puyos, but it makes up for it in flexibility. In fact, we've already seen it earlier.

See the Puyos I've highlighted? They're in the Sandwich form.

Let's see another example of the sandwich form.

You may notice some doodles, but ignore them for the moment and notice how the Puyos in the chain have been laid out: one Puyo blocking the completion of a group of four Puyos, like what the Blocking Rule describes.

Now pay attention to the doodles, specifically the portion outlined in purple. That is the core component of a Sandwich. The Puyos not marked with a K are the Puyos we are suspending, and could be considered the "color" of the Sandwich. The Puyo marked with a K is the one doing the suspending, and is termed "the Key Puyo" because it's popping is key to the chain's continuation. You want the sandwich before it to have the non-key Puyos be the color of the key Puyo so that your chain doesn't just... end. The big thing, though, is that the only requirement for the Key Puyo is that it must be in one of the two center positions. This gives the prospective Sandwich builder a lot of flexibility to work with, allowing them to choose a more efficient way to build their chain.

...Okay, that isn't the only requirement, but the vast majority of the time it is. If you take the time to learn it, you'll eventually come to learn what those extra requirements are and when they come into play. As an added bonus, you'll have learnt a form that gives you a lot more flexibility and makes execution of high-level techniques easier. Congratulations!

Although again, choosing between Stairs and Sandwich as your main form is a matter of preference. Some players even go for hybrid styles that use both! But whatever you choose, stick with it. This is one of the areas where the only way to get better is to play a lot of games of Puyo Puyo.

...Speaking of which, the last three stages are actually quite ideal for practicing Stairs and Sandwich as I've just presented them. The AI is pretty aggressive here and will often punish attempts to build chains longer than 5 links. If you're playing along and this all feels pretty overwhelming and the videos don't even follow the advice I presented AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, just focus on building and popping 5 chains: the AI is fairly aggressive and good at building and setting off quick 2 and occasional 3 chains, but will go down like a sack of bricks against a 5-6 chain.

If this doesn't feel hard enough, try to figure out how you could make a 7 chain using a Stairs or Sandwich formation. But again, only once you have either Sandwich or Stairs down pat.

Don't do what I do in the videos. I have to demonstrate a 7-chain, minimum, every Puyo Puyo game this LP or I feel people will begin to ask questions and I'll have to resign from this LP in disgrace.

That last fight took 2 hours over 3 days to record. Every other attempt either had me do something stupid or ended when Arle shut off my main chain with garbage. :shepicide:

Video - Mascot Mashup (Outro)

Click here to watch!

Music: Travelers Woes'

: *wheezing* I think we...?
: I think we got most of them!
: Nice job, everyone!
: Looks like we're in the clear!

Music: :siren:

: YOU'RE KIDDING ME!
: No matter what we do, more just keep coming!

: O! How long can we last!?
: Pipi... Pipi... Pi.

: Uh... *ahem*
: Captain's report.
: We have lost control of the Starship Tetra.

: Huh...?
: Hey, did you say we were crash landing on a BLUE planet?

The screen goes dark.

*crash*

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 29, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MayOrMayNotBeACat posted:

screeenshot(110o11)

Missing image?

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

Missing image?

Nope, just a stupid typo.

Fixed.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The first cutscene video in this update is unavailable!

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

AweStriker posted:

The first cutscene video in this update is unavailable!

HOW?! HOW DID THAT S BECOME UNCAPITALIZED????

(fixed)

EDIT: It was in the original source.

I am deeply ashamed.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Update 6: Tetra in Trouble

Video - Tetra in Trouble (Intro)

Click here to watch!

Music: Happy Days like Usual~!

: Hey, look, we're still alive.
: And check out where we landed.
: It looks like I'm back at Suzuran Junior High...!
: Well, looks like I made it back home.

: A-Arle! Carbuncle!

: Amitie~!
: Hey, wait.

: Oh... I'm not sure.
: This could be bad. Arle, we need to find them.
: Bye, Ringo! See you later!
: Um, okay... bye, you two...

: Well, I guess I'll go search by myself.

More characters I need to explain. Yipee!

Maguro debuted alongside Ringo. The elder son of the local fishmongers, he's a close childhood friend of Ringo's and a fellow classmate. He also has a lot of hobbies, but he's kind of the "regular" guy in the cast, which even extends to his weapon of choice in Puyo Puyo battles: a Puyo-themed Kendama.

The reason for the bangs is apparently that his face is really handsome, to the point that anyone who sees it falls in love. Including boysand fish. Ringo is the only one who isn't affected by it, which she claims is due to repeated exposure. Whether that's actually the case is left as an exercise for the audience.

He also tends to sprinkle ★stars★ in his words, which makes it kind of hard to transcribe his dialogue.

His voice actor is Spike Spencer.

: Oh, hey, Maguro! What's up?
: We missed you in class! ★
: Where've you been...?
: No biggie, just a little trip aboard a starship!
: Wow~! ★

: Oh...?
: Yeah, it kinda was.
: So what's up? Need something?
: Well, this huge object just landed on top of the school roof.

: I had a feeling if ANYONE knew something, it'd be you!
: What did you say...?
: That's... That's gotta be Tee!
: Show me, Maguro!

: Pipi... Pipi...
: The Starship Tetra has landed on an unidentified world.

: Pi-Pi...
: Hm?
: Captain Tee?
: Ringo! Are you alright?
: Oh no... the Tetra!
: It's... well, it's... it's pretty beat up...
: Plus, my crew appears to be missing.
: Ringo, I think there's only one logical course.
: Do you think you can help me with something? Something very important...
: Absotively!
: Whatever you need!

: Aw, you remembered...!
: It's easy. Just make a solid line, and they'll clear!
: There's some other stuff like Tetris Line Clears and Back-to-Backs and T-Spins...

: *giggle*
: Now then... Are you ready?

Video - Tetra in Trouble

Click here to watch!

Music: Challenge GO! → Puyo 2 Tetris!

Gameplay Info: Tetris - Stacking Pointers

Something that is extremely important for high-level maneuvers is knowing how to stack Tetrominos. Unfortunately, a large part of this is going to have to come from experience.

However, there are a few pieces of info that can help you along your way Here are some pointers:[list]
[*]Stack flat, but not too flat. If your stack is too flat, S and Z tetrominos will cause problems for your stack.
[*]If you are stacking for Tetrises, try to leave the far-right column open for Tetrises.
[*]Try not to build empty columns greater than 2 cells deep. It'll force the use of an I tetromino in its filling, which could have been used to Tetris instead.
[*]Try to keep an I in reserve for inconsistent stacking, usually caused by RNG hatred. Use it if not doing so would prevent you from stacking optimally.
[*]Don't waste the I tetromino if another tetromino would fit better.
[*]In single-player, try not to Tetris if an I tetromino is not in reserve. (Disregard this in multiplayer)
[*]Avoid situation that would force a soft drop. The only exception is at the beginning of a game, where you should avoid situations that would force more than one soft drop.
[*]Look at the NEXT window. Try to ensure that you can place all upcoming pieces.
[*]The T block is valuable for fixing problematic stacking structures.
[*]Avoid placing J and L pieces that are not flush against the edge of the stack if you do not expect another one of the same piece to come soon.
[*]Deal with extra open columns before overstacking forces the consumption of all your I tetrominos.
[*]Try not to stack in such a way that a duplicate piece is required.
[*]T-indents can accomodate both S and Z tetrominos. Don't fill up that T-indent with a T if a barrage of S and Z pieces is coming up.

For an explanation of these pointers and more, check out this page that I shamelessly stole from summarized the above pointers from.

Any clarification the thread asks for will be put here before the outro.

Video - Tetra in Trouble (Outro)

Click here to watch!

Music: In The End we all Laugh!

: You feeling better now?
: I think so. Thanks.
: Let's focus on recon.
: I don't know what "recon" is, but I'll tag along... We should look for your crew!
: You sure? You don't have anything else to take care of?
: Nope! This is actually my hometown!
: Out of all the planets... What are the odds!?
: Right?

: Plus, I owe you, since you were a gentleman and brought me home!
: So let's go find your crew!
: Pipipi~! Pipi~!

Next time: Placating the Pooch

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 1, 2018

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Wrong video for the tetris battle.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Thadius posted:

Wrong video for the tetris battle.

:eng99:

(Fixed.)

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Not enough :3: on the internet to express just how :3: that giggle actually is. Well done, voice actress.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Update 7: Placating the Pooch

Video - Placating the Pooch (Intro)

Click here to watch!

: What a spectacle.
: Eh?
: For a moment there I was convinced you were...
: No wait, hold on... What ARE you...?
: Pipi-Pipi...?
: Oh, that's just Risukuma!
: He's in the Physics Club with me. He's a pro at popping Puyos.
: Are there... many like him on this planet?

Unlike Maguro, there isn't much more that needs to be explained about Risukuma. He *was* human once, but an incident that occurred before the start of his debut game turned him into his present form, a hybrid between a human and a squirrel bear.

I have no idea what a squirrel bear is.

Risukuma is voiced by Kyle Hebert.

: Hey, Ris!
: Why, hello there, Ringo.
: What're you thinkin' about?
: Well, I saw something most unconventional over there.
: What was it?

: ...And the most exceedingly out-of-shape robot ever.
: Oh...?
: Am I thinking what you're thinking?

: Pipipi!
: Let's move out!
: W-Wait a moment. Just a sec... I'd like to join.
: I'd like to observe how this all plays out just a bit more closely.

: Who is a good doggy? That is correct... Nothing to fear...
: Rrrrufff! Rrrufff!
: Tee should arrive soon to help us. Just remember, who is a good doggy?
: *whine*
: I think I found 'em.
: Huh...

: Can I take a picture with you?

: Ai! Zed! You're all in one piece!
: Ah, Captain, I am pleased to see you are in only one piece, yourself.
: Zed, status report.
: As you can see, Ai is afraid of this alien world.
: Rrruff! YIP! YIP! Rrruff! Rruff!
: Aw, looks like he needs a belly rub! ★
: Captain, I have not been successful at calming him down.

: Whoa! Talk about delegating!
: Just leave it to me!
: Let me show you that my hometown really is a safe place!

: MEEP!

Video - Placating the Pooch

Click here to watch!

Music: Challenge GO! → Puyo 2 Tetris!

Alright, time to talk about one of the most essential parts of high-level Puyo play, the Transition!

Gameplay Info: Puyo Puyo - Transitions

I've seen several people say that they are intimidated by Transitions, and to be honest, I can't blame them. They are kind of tricky to set up, and even when you know how to do them they are easily the weakest part of your chain.

Get them right, however, and the results are monstrous to behold.

So, let's walk through the theory regarding Transitions, shall we?

Here, we can see a (mostly) finished first floor chain. We can pop the chain by putting down a Green Puyo on the left.

Now we can extend this, but with so little room on the horizontal plane, there's only one way to go.

Up.

You see that Red Puyo pair I've set up? If we put a third Red Puyo on top of that and then place a Red-Green Puyo pair, we'll get an extra link in our chain.

But what if we extended our chain again?

And we're done with the Transition! Set off the Yellow Puyo separating the Red Puyos, and we'll set off the bottom chain as well. We can extend the top chain using the usual methods... although it's a little bit trickier. We'll get more into that in the next guide.

Also, funny thing. When you extend your chain past 7, the lines begin repeating. Given what Ringo repeats, if you get off a large chain on your friend while playing as Ringo, you can tell them they just got "integrated" right before the garbage starts falling.

Of course, you should do that only if you're about to leave because that joke is so bad no one's going to tolerate you after that.

Wait, poo poo, I'm nowhere near done with this update.

uhh

uhh

UHH

:suicide:

Video - Placating the Pooch (Outro)

Click here to watch!

: You stopped this from being one of those... dog day afternoons.
: *chuckle*
: Eh...?
: This chihuahua doesn't make sense, does he?
: Tee, does your whole crew look like him?

: Ai! Zed! The SS Tetra is damaged.
: And the rest of the crew is unaccounted for.
: Pipi-Pipi! Pi-Pipi!
: I saw Jay and Elle earlier.
: You don't say...!
: Actually, I do, Captain.

: AND THEN THEY SKIPPED OFF, HAND-IN_HAND!

: We need to find them before they cause any trouble.
: That sounds bad!
: We should hurry, Tee!
: I agree! Let's move out!

: Zed and I will look at the Tetra.
: Sounds like a proper task for an engineer, after all...

Next time: The Terrible Twins

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 17, 2018

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I was planning to continue this, but work (and my keyboard malfunctioning) caused significant delays.

Hopefully I'll get the next update out in a more timely manner.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Welcome back after your keyboard troubles! Good to see you're still going.

: What a spectacle.
[timg][/timg]: Eh?
: For a moment there I was convinced you were...

Someone's speaking here, but their portrait is missing.

Update 7 posted:

: Oh, that's just Risikuma!

The screenshots suggest this should be "Risukuma" (two u's, only one i)... there's more occurrences than just this one.

still Update 7 posted:

Here, we can see a (mostly) finished first floor chain. We can pop the chain by putting down a Red Puyo on the left.

All the Puyos in the left column are green, though.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

:eng99:

Well, thanks. One of those can be chalked up to EXCITING software bugs.

And in my defense I honestly thought that the 'u' in Risukuma was an 'i'. What an LP will teach you, I guess.

I have no excuse for mixing up the colors on that explanation, though.

Fixed all of them. Having somebody else pointing out where I've made a mistake is immensely helpful.

Also, it's nice to know somebody is enjoying this.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Also, it's nice to know somebody is enjoying this.
I don't know about anyone else, but personally, I don't think there is a problem with the LP itself. It's just that I stopped being interested in the story stuff. I know there is some good stuff coming up, but right now there's very little of it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm enjoying watching the high level play totally demolishing the opponents, so I'm willing to be patient with the plot. BTW what are Puyos in the world context? Are they some kind of pest, Or are they never explained?

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Interesting read, coming from someone whos pretty bad at multiplayer Tetris, but is pretty good at Puyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
This has been a magical ride...and drat if it's not making me tempted to get a switch to play this.