Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Throne of Lies is a 16 player Werewolf / Mafia style game. If you've ever played Town of Salem it is also very much like that. It isn't free like Town of Salem ($9.99 USD on Steam) so the population is smaller but it is still very easy to find a game. If I had to compare Throne of Lies to Town of Salem, I'd say ToL is probably more complex than ToS. Throne of Lies relies heavily on the evil faction converting good players which is a bit of a departure from what you might be used to in Town of Salem.

If you've ever played Salem, Werewolf, or Mafia you should be pretty familiar with the gimmick. There is a good faction of players that starts with the majority and some bad eggs in the mix. During the daytime players vote on who to execute in an attempt to make their faction win. The evil faction all works together and knows who each other are, while the good faction just knows they are good. Each player has a class chosen for them at the start of the game that determines their abilities. You might be a prince who can jail and execute players at night (even normally death immune classes). You might be a fool who can send a chat message as another player once a day and make themselves look guilty at night should anyone check. There are 43 unique classes and each players very differently. Many of the classes are 'evil' versions of the 'good' classes, but they all have their own unique playstyle.

As you can imagine using your abilities to investigate other players / lie about your own class if needed is a major part of the game. To assist with this, each player is given a journal. You'll keep a journal of what you've done (or lying about what you've done). Other players will expect you to claim and based on various investigative abilities, whether you can prove you've done anything you've said, whether the Blue Dragon are just complete idiots, or pure luck you may prove yourself or you may find yourself being executed.

Where can you buy the game? Here you go: https://store.steampowered.com/app/595280/Throne_of_Lies_The_Online_Game_of_Deceit/
Resources: Wiki - http://tol.wikia.com/wiki/Throne_of_Lies:_The_Online_Game_of_Lies_and_Deceit_Wikia
Discord - https://discord.gg/tol

Use the Discord! The devs read it a lot. You can ask lots of questions there too.

What you can expect from each game:

Each game will start with you picking a name. After a brief period you will load into the game. The game will then proceed with alternating Day / Night phases.

Day Phase:

Each day that starts will show the deaths of any players who died the previous night. You will see the player's class (which can be altered by certain classes) and the journal they've kept. If the King died and there are enough players, you'll then vote for a new king. Anyone can step up, but classes with royal blood get double votes. Once a king is chosen or not chosen, players proceed to the voting phase. Players will sort of discuss what information they know via whispers or open chat and eventually people will vote for a player. The player will have the opportunity to defend theirself and then players will vote on whether to execute or not. Many classes also have abilities that can be used during the day. Some allow you to make yourself death immune the next night, others might allow you to chat on behalf of another player, give extra votes during voting periods, etc.

Once the timer runs out or a player is executed the night phase begins. This is sort of where the game is. Evil players may convert / kill other players, an Observer might choose a player and see who they visit, a Court Wizard might swap two players out forcing players targeting one of them to target the other. Once the timer runs out the abilities are all performed and it goes back to the day phase.

Tips:
Keep a log. Even if you are evil. If you don't post a log, you will be executed. As an example, a sheriff can investigate a player and see if they are evil. Your logs might look like this

n1 - investigate 6, Unseen
n2 - investigate 5, Prevented from visiting
n3 - jailed

If you keep these logs and they are accurate you will likely live a lot longer. If you are evil, then a good set of faked logs will save your life. Last night I was a Mastermind, and I convinced players early on that I was a good class. I made it to the end of the game with absolutely no suspicion until the final day.

When you die, stay in the game. You get more gold for some of the goofy cosmetic items you can buy. More importantly, you can stay and talk to people in dead chat. When you are alive, people are going to lie to you. When you are dead, people will instead explain the game to you. There are a lot of classes and interactions for the game. As an example, you might wonder how you got caught when you claimed Hunter. Someone in dead chat will explain to you that Hunter is a unique class (which you could also find yourself on the roles screen), and they already had a confirmed hunter.

Read the roles screen. This screen explains every single class in the game, what they can do, provides tips for playing them, provides suggested classes to claim if you are evil, tells you if they have any immunities / are unique, etc. Its incredibly useful. Use it all the time.

People are going to occasionally accuse you of throwing the game, even when you are just learning. Don't worry about this. Some people get salty and they aren't worth it. Honestly just do the best you can and explain you are new and don't understand everything.

Things expected from players:
1. Don't be a dick / racist / sexist. You'll get banned eventually. They do take this serious. You can join their discord and see their ban logs in the justice channel.
2. Don't purposely throw. If you are evil, don't tell everyone who all the evils are.
3. Don't ask to be converted. Its very against the rules.
4. Just do your best to try to learn.

Interesting / Unique classes

The Fool - The Fool's whole gimmick is that they want to be executed. If they are executed, they win. You can frame yourself so that anyone looking into you that night will view you as evil. You can also use a day ability once a day to talk as if you are someone else in the chat. The Fool plays kind of an outsized role in the game because the good people don't want to execute him. If they do then they lose that day executing a non-evil and the following night those that accused him cannot use their abilities.

The Hunter - The hunter is a unique class for the blue dragon. At night they can protect themselves with a bear. This will kill anyone who attempts to attack the hunter (including normally death immune classes). They can also send a wolf to attack someone, causing them to bleed out the next night. If they are accused during the day and executed, they get retribution on their initial accuser by killing them. I've actually pulled out wins from this ability. I was a hunter and I was being executed, but the initial accuser was the final evil. I was sent to be executed and instead I killed the unseen (winning us the game).

The Herbalist - The Herbalist is a Physician who was converted. They can no longer heal at night like a physician, but they can make it so a player thinks they were both attacked and healed in the same night. This is useful for confirming yourself as a Physician. They can also make it look like a player who died that same night looks like a new class. This might not seem very useful, but there are plenty of uses for it. As an example, if you force a dead player to look like a hunter (which is a unique class), then everyone will be suspicious of the actual hunter.

The Possessor - The Possessor is a neutral killer. They want to kill both the good and evil faction. The possessor can force players to vote for others during the day. They can also disguise themselves as another class during the day. At night they can force one player to attack another (making the attacking player look guilty.) They can also jump to another player. When you do this, you actually take over the other player's character and chat as if you are them. You inherit their logs and everything.

Funny / Frustrating / Weird things about the game

There will be certain claims that are suspect. This changes based on the meta. For a while, Knight claims were incredibly suspect, leading to things like this:

Awful death notes:

Funny name gimicks:

Redirect loops:

Being forced to attack a player you are guarding as a knight, which means you kill yourself defending the player you are guarding from yourself:

Anyway, thanks for reading my terrible OP.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also feel free to add me on steam if you play and i can give you advice / answer questions

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Eonwe01

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this might just end up a thread where only i post, that owns

I was playing last night and called myself Dabman, hoping for hunter. Hunter can use a bear and kill any attackers.

I proceeded to talk only in chat saying *dabs*. Night 1 the assassin attacked me with logs saying "dabs is really lame", so he died

60% of the time, it works every time

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I trollboxed a king into calling for someone to be executed and it ended up being an afk prince lmao

tradjik
Mar 2, 2007

I just played my first game, was a Paladin, got killed by a Knight for being too quiet, and was told that's the meta.

So far I like Town of Salem better, at least vigilantes wait for proof.

e; Played a bit more and it's alright. I don't quite get it yet, though. PS. Sorry for poisoning you.

tradjik fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 24, 2018

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tradjik posted:

I just played my first game, was a Paladin, got killed by a Knight for being too quiet, and was told that's the meta.

So far I like Town of Salem better, at least vigilantes wait for proof.

e; Played a bit more and it's alright. I don't quite get it yet, though. PS. Sorry for poisoning you.

That knight was not really telling you the full truth. You almost always get a chance to defend yourself. The knight told you that because by killing you, he basically really hurt the BD. When a knight uses cold steel on a fellow good guy, the person he attacked dies and so does he. He cost 2 players for no good reason and didn't want to blame himself.

It takes a while to get because there are a lot of classes. Thanks for trying it out though! I feel like goons would like it if they could get over the admittedly steep learning curve.

My recommendation, if someone seems salty or has a reason to blame you, just discount them entirely. If someone explains why you did something not correct, thats cool to listen to.

SalmanBashi
Apr 4, 2007

This is a game I own.

It's pretty fun though with the patches whenever I go to play again something has changed which necessitates having the wiki up, though having it up is pretty necessary since as said there are a shitload of classes. I think there is a simplified/casual mode where there are less classes so it's easier to pick up. I see there's been another giant patch recently!

It's a good rush when you sniff out a scumbag or pull off a victory as a Fool or other comedy class, though whenever I want a chill game I get loving prince or psychic and actually have to do poo poo.

neuts out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They added a Chronomancer class that can redirect deaths you've prevented onto other players. Its really strong

• Locked thread