Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
We've seen it happen in Canada, that Chinese investments in housing have exploded housing prices to the point of absolute unsustainability; and just a few weeks ago, New Zealand decided to ban foreigners (sans Singaporeans and Australians) from buying homes in a probably-too-late effort to cut into housing prices there where, in Auckland alone, 22% of houses were foreign-owned.

Would it be a progressive and cool thing to ban foreign ownership of houses in the US too?

I'm torn because it's a solution of "fuckin immigants i always knew it was immigants," but here's how I see the pros and cons:

pros?:
cuts down on chinese investment being able to artificially raise housing costs
the IMF hates the New Zealand plan, so anything the IMF hates is usually good poo poo

cons:
could easily just be demagoguery
the New Zealand party that's enacting it is the liberal party
being a citizen might not be good enough to prove you're a citizen in era of trump, meaning a lot of Olivares families could get locked out of a home
it's probably too fuckin late to fix this insanity
american government is corrupt as gently caress so all this will really do is create a black cottage industry of money launderers that shelter chinese investment anyway

Plan B:
斗地主

Fill me in on where I'm wrong or right. I'm genuinely curious what can of worms such a rule would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread