Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

kater posted:

Did anyone keep up with Golden Kamuy?

I loving LOVE the manga, but the anime makes me kind of sad that it can't replicate that level if loving crazy awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It doesn't entirely do the manga justice but once they settled into it after the first few episodes of s1 it got a lot closer. I haven't caught up on s2 yet tho

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Everything Burrito posted:

It doesn't entirely do the manga justice but once they settled into it after the first few episodes of s1 it got a lot closer. I haven't caught up on s2 yet tho

True. It still doesn't sit well with me that they skipped so many things though like Sugimoto's past, his relationship with Umeko and Toraji, Umeko "seeing" him again and not recognizing him due to how much he's changed. All of those things are major character pieces to him that aren't there in the anime.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Anima Yell gets me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I kept putting off Golden Kamuy because of how it was being received, but finally watched it a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Been reading the manga as a result though, and I can see why folk were put off. The most glaring thing is for some reason they've been removing a lot of Sugimoto's past and motivation?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

CrashScreen posted:

I kept putting off Golden Kamuy because of how it was being received, but finally watched it a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Been reading the manga as a result though, and I can see why folk were put off. The most glaring thing is for some reason they've been removing a lot of Sugimoto's past and motivation?

This. Stuff like his family dying off from TB, his relationship with Umeko and Toraji, his post war return. All of that stuff is major character stuff for explaining why he is the way he is, but it's all absent in the anime. Not to mention skipping around some arcs like Barato(upcoming in an OVA), the three demon bears, the fake Ainu. It's all hard to ignore.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

bahamut posted:

I am overcoming my posting shyness to say that I did. I know it's not the best animated thing, and some of the hijinx and wackiness can be kind of off-putting (this was the issue expressed to me by a local friend), but I will continue to stay caught up if they keep making more episodes. I really need to get around to reading the actual manga.

:justpost:

Everyone's down to read a good/interesting take, or just get hype about something.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
So did anyone actually watch RErideD? I don't think I've heard anything about it all season.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Skull face Honda-San was great i’m trying to track down the manga/pivix it originated from.

Himote House was ehhhhhh decent. It really should of finished with the all ad-libbed episode imho

I’ve still got Anima Yell & RErideD on my backlog i haven’t started either of them yet. I hope the latter is good, it had Abe Yoshitoshi on character design

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'd be surprised if anyone finished rerided, i dropped it like six or so episodes in. sadly just an ugly show that didn't do anything of note with its characters or plot.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Irozuku ended and solidified itself as my strongest fave of the season. Beautiful visuals like that were essential to make it and I'm a sucker for aspects of time in storytelling, felt like the finale could have stretched out the tiniest bit more and given us additional thoughts from the gang but it was all fine. Probably something to re-watch.

Rerided I finished for idiotic curiosity's sake. It had a good idea but quickly threw it out and derailed into face on palm, same for Spyce which largely felt like a waste of studio and was I right, there was not a single bit about negatives from the drugs other than overdoses are bad you guyz? I best go enjoy Princess Principal a few more times and feel better about life.

Beelzebub was an okay remnant of moeblobbery, Yagate's art style I absolutely loved but not so much the mostly predictable events, Jingai was strange but kinda heartwarming and I want so much more from that world. Conception was tremendously stupid, Irritating Maid had a muscular lady going for it and blew the budget in the first episode, felt more sorry for the kid and all the poo poo she was put through than interested in everything else. Goblin was ok. Decker was refreshingly colourful but really not a new T&B so I want watch that all over and follow it up with Space Dandy. Juliet was a fine adaptation of the manga which deserves a live-action version with people capable of stunts and fight scenes. Banana very good, man. SAO cringe-material. Index tiresome grand scheme shounen fighter that quickly reminded me why I quit the manga, can we have more Railgun instead? Gridman was superb and Ulyssees was the opposite. Honda kicks rear end.

I like the goofy cute meme poo poo of Golden Kamuy as that seems to be its focus, over dark serious matters. CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW LEG!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Irozuku meandered around the middle but I've rarely seen a landing stuck so hard.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sindai posted:

Irozuku meandered around the middle but I've rarely seen a landing stuck so hard.

I've loved nearly all of it so far so I can't wait to watch the finale tonight when I can.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, drat, for all the slow pacing in the middle that made me worried if they could end the story well, they just went and did that. That was a really good ending. Wonder who the grave was for? Her mum? Yuito? Hopefully not Yuito :(

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah, drat, for all the slow pacing in the middle that made me worried if they could end the story well, they just went and did that. That was a really good ending. Wonder who the grave was for? Her mum? Yuito? Hopefully not Yuito :(

Speaking of which, shouldn't Hitomi's friends still be alive? Heck the average lifespan in Japan right now is nearly 84 years, and the Magic Photography Club should all be around Granny's age. Most of them should still be kicking!

That's not really a complaint, maybe it just sort of ties in with the theme of trying to look forward instead of back. Just seemed a little odd that it wasn't addressed at all.

PA Works has done a pretty good job with their endings.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Agronox posted:

Speaking of which, shouldn't Hitomi's friends still be alive? Heck the average lifespan in Japan right now is nearly 84 years, and the Magic Photography Club should all be around Granny's age. Most of them should still be kicking!

That's not really a complaint, maybe it just sort of ties in with the theme of trying to look forward instead of back. Just seemed a little odd that it wasn't addressed at all.

PA Works has done a pretty good job with their endings.

Isn't Glasslip pretty infamous for pretty much nothing happening throughout? I haven't actually watched it myself, but I saw a bunch of people worrying that Irozuku would be a new Glasslip whilst it was running.

Also the two girls that Hitomi runs into at school pretty much look like alternate versions of Kurumi and Asagi, so at least we know they had grandkids.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Ibblebibble posted:

Wonder who the grave was for? Her mum? Yuito? Hopefully not Yuito :(

Well, Hitomi said she wanted to talk to her mother with her grandmother, but then she went to the grave alone. So you could conclude that the grave wasn't her mother's. Although I think they deliberately left it ambiguous, so it could be either one.

Ibblebibble posted:

Isn't Glasslip pretty infamous for pretty much nothing happening throughout?

Yep. The best way to put it is that you can really enjoy all the wonderful animation in Glasslip, because there's certainly very little story-wise to distract you.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was the best capstone finale I could have hoped for. A beautiful show all the way through, art and music included. I still think they had a missed opportunity not doing much thematically with the art direction but at least it remained gorgeous the whole show. Another incredible title to add to PA Works's incredible catalogue of shows.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I wish Glasslip was about nothing but glass blowing instead the weird supernatural plot it forces in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005