Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
My wife has a temp job at Target and two guys came in just before the store closed. The bought a bunch of Nicorette gum, some various other stop-smoking products, and some expensive electric toothbrushes. They were required to show their IDs to purchase the Nicorette and both were out of state IDs. They both used coupons, and had to split their transactions up so they could use the coupons multiple times. Here’s where it got weird: they both opted to do a split payment, and both men chose to put just 20 cents of the transactions on their respective credit cards. Then both of them paid the remainder of the balances with various gift cards.

My first thought was that they were using stolen or hacked gift cards and were planning to return all the stuff for either cash or to a refund on the credit cards. The problem with that is, why would they bother with the coupons? That would cause them to get less money back. Why bother putting such a small amount on the credit cards, when you have more than enough in gift cards?

Anybody know what these guys were up to? Could it have really been legitimate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Try asking in the scam thread two posts down

Ohyesitsme
Apr 12, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
In the UK at least, putting even part of a transaction on a credit card gives you the right to get a full refund from your credit card provider if the goods fail within a certain time period (not sure how long). It's called a Section 75 refund.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Ornithology posted:

Try asking in the scam thread two posts down

Sorry, was on mobile so I couldn’t search, and missed it.

• Locked thread