Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

A.o.D. posted:

Is, uh, anyone reading this?

Nystral posted:

I’m frantically searching for my Sketch Zephyr football rookie card, I think my dog ate it though :(

This one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

ulmont posted:

Yeah - we're almost to the stretch I've been waiting for.

Same.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Finger Prince posted:

Yes, with gusto.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I'll try to have an update tomorrow. I've been held up by trying to photoshop an rear end on top of Gregg Williams' neck in such a way that you guys can tell the difference from his normal arrangement, and I'm not having much luck.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Did not find this thread until today but it's a very good thread

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

2012. That was a really bad year for the Saints. 2011 ended in the second round of the playoffs in which the Saints fell short in a game against the 49ers on an Alex Smith touchdown run that saw something like 4 lead changes in the 4th quarter (don't @ me, I'm not bothering to look it up, it was one of the best playoff games of all time, so go watch it if you haven't already). The off-season saw bombshell after bombshell unloaded by the league office about a pay-for-performance scheme by the defense that was quickly dubbed "Bountygate". Details had been leaked about the scheme, and how big hits and injuries were rewarded. I'm not going to recap the whole thing, and if you want to catch up, you can do so by reading here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_Saints_bounty_scandal

Needless to say, everyone was duly outraged, hands were wrung, and poo poo was posted. It was a great time for all. League toadstool Roger Goodell saw an opportunity to take some moral high ground and whip out his authoritative dick, two of his three favorite activities* handed out steep penalties an suspensions. Here's a quick summation of those suspensions:

Sean Payton, as the head coach and man responsible for all team activities, was suspended for a full season.
Gregg Williams, the architect and executor of the pay for performance scheme, was suspended indefinitely.
Mickey Loomis, the Saints director of personnel, was suspended for half a season for failing to shut the program down.
Joe Vitt, the Saints linebackers coach, was handed a 6 game suspension and would serve as an interim coach for the remainder of the season while Sean Payton was out.
A number of defensive players were also handed suspensions.

Here's a summary of what happened after the league handed out their penalties:

None of the players served any suspensions. What was particularly galling is that at least one of the players penalized definitively had nothing to do with the program and was simply penalized because "he was a team captain". That guy was Scott Fujita. Who is Scott Fujita? https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/steve-gleason-scott-fujita-documentary-saints Just some guy that carried another guy with ALS up a mountain so that guy could visit Macchu Picchu. No big deal.

It was discovered that had possibly run bounty programs at other teams he'd coached for; to include the Tennessee Titans (including the game in which Peyton Manning received the neck injury that would cost him a season and eventually his career), the Washington Redskins, and as head coach of the Buffalo Bills. The League opted to not pursue any investigations into the conduct of those teams during Williams' career.

Sean Payton went off to the Caribbean to put some moves on some thoroughly disinterested women. He would serve his entire suspension. Meanwhile, Gregg Williams would run to the league, blubber out some mea culpas, and actually be reinstated a full week before Sean Payton's suspension would end. A year is a year, but indefinite? Meh, whatever.

As for the actual conduct of the Saints players? Well, they must have been really awful at their jobs, because they injured players at a rate below the league average.

On to the actual season.

The Saints would start their campaign with 4 reasonably close losses. They would go on to end the season 7-9, which was disappointing for the amount of talent on the team, but far above expectations considering everything else that happened to the team. Steve Spagnuolo was an absolute disaster as a defensive coordinator and the defenses he coordinated rarely made effective adjustments and were typically not suited to the personnel available to him. Aaron Kromer, the O-line coach, filled in for Joe Vitt for the first six games as head coach, and he was clearly overmatched in the role. Vitt, the long-time assistant head coach and linebackers coach, would do much to steady the ship and keep the entire season from turning into a shitfest. Even with everything working against the Saints, the offense was still spectacular. Brees had found a new favorite target in Jimmy Graham, and week after week would see the Saints engaging in, and almost as often as not winning, a high scoring shootout. There was even one game where the Saints won a 41-0 shutout over Tampa Bay. Jesus Christ, Tampa, get your poo poo together.

In all, Brees had another great year, but because of the defensive ineptitude, was forced to make throws that were questionable or even impossible. His interception rate went up, and his completion percentage went down. He had yet another 5000+ yard season, and threw a bunch of touchdowns, mostly because that was the only way the team could win. For almost any other quarterback who had ever played the game, this would have been a good year. For Brees, this was a slightly down season.

code:
COMP%     YPA     TD/G  Total TD    INT/G  Total INT   Passer RTG     Total YDS
63        7.74    2.69     43        1.19      19         96.3          5177
Meanwhile, in the rest of the league, Sketch Zephyr's star would rise once again. His season was very productive, and comparable to his banner 2007 effort. Adrian Peterson, the child beater, still won the MVP that year, mostly because the writers love a good story. Even so, Sketch feasted upon the Saints' defense, and his efforts for both the Broncos and the Cowboys were nearly flawless, even though the Saints managed to squeak out a win against Dallas. Sketch didn't play for Tampa bay in their second game against the Saints, mostly because the Buccaneers got lost on the way to the stadium and forfeited the game.

code:
COMP%    YPG     YPA     TD/G  Total TD    INT/G  Total INT   Passer RTG     Total YDS
62.5     383     8.4     2.13     34         1       16          99.1           4979
Once again, Sketch Zephyr was a better quarterback than Drew Brees. In fact, he was the 5th best passer (tied with Matt Ryan) by passer rating, 2nd best in total yards, 1st in yards per attempt, and tied with Tom Brady for 3rd in TD passes.

* his third favorite being destroying the players' union.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 6, 2018

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The 2013 season saw the reinstatement of head coach Sean Payton and a new DC in Rob Ryan. Things improved immediately. Offensive production increased and the defense gave up fewer big plays through the air, and Mark Ingram had become a valuable running back. The team looked very much like its old self circa 2011, but with the addition of an improved running attack. This season would see the Saints win every home game, which combined with 2011, means that New Orleans hadn't lost at home under Sean Payton since the last game of the 2010 season. It looked like the woes of 2012 were an anomaly brought about by the heavy handed penalties of Bountygate. The team would make it back to the playoffs, only to be bounced out in the divisional round by the ascendant Seahawks.

Drew Brees rebounded from his reduced output last season. While his raw touchdown count went down, his efficiency went up, and he protected the ball more. The team didn't miss the extra touchdowns, as the running game became far more efficient, which helped Brees make better decisions as he rarely needed to force the ball into difficult situations. For a second straight year he broke the 5000 yard mark, and this made the fourth time he'd done so.

code:
68.6      7.9     2.44     39        .75      12          104.7          5162
As the Saints' fortunes rebounded, so did Sketch's results regress to the mean. Where he was exemplary last season, this year he could best be described as... average. In no particular area did he excel, just as in no particular area was he terrible. He just sort of was there, occupying a roster slot, doing what you expect a quarterback to do.

code:
COMP%    YPG     YPA     TD/G  Total TD    INT/G  Total INT   Passer RTG     Total YDS
58       251     6.73    1.25     20        0.75      12         83.1           3527
Next time: Would 2014 see the Saints finally make a deep playoff run and finally return to the Conference Championship game? In a word, no.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

2014 came and went with a wet fart. The Saints lost to good teams, they lost to bad teams. They lost when they should have won, even when they won, they couldn't put teams away. Curiously, they managed to get a win over a good Green Bay packers team and a decent Pittsburgh Steelers, but other than that, they kind of sucked. Rob Ryan's defense couldn't protect a lead, and once the opposing team had a lead, they surrendered touchdowns faster than the prolific offense could generate them. For most of the season, anything less than perfection by the Saints offense was a recipe for disaster.

Drew Brees was good, but not good enough to bail out the team. With him, they were 7-9. Without him, they probably would have been in contention for the 1st overall draft pick. He wouldn't set any records this year, nor would he get any sort of recognition for his futile efforts to bail out the team, but he kept at it, never taking a snap off, and producing at his expected high level. With the defense sucking rear end, he had to force the ball a lot more than last season, which accounts for his modest drop in production and efficiency.

code:
69.2      7.51    2.06     33        1.06      17          97            4952
Sketch would see a marked improvement from last season. He wouldn't go to the pro bowl, but he'd likely have been a top 10 Quarterback in the league, which would have made him an asset for most of the teams he played for this year. There's really not much to say here other than that he was good but not great.

code:
63      296.1    7.75    1.63     26        0.75      12         93.9           4146
Next time: It gets worse, but somehow doesn't change the results.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
This is a good thread and I guess the saints defense isn’t as bad as I previously imagined

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sweeper posted:

This is a good thread and I guess the saints defense isn’t as bad as I previously imagined

Sadly, this narrative isn't including the running stats. Also, bear in mind the entire time the Saints are putting up losing seasons, they're near or at the top of offensive production in the league. The only reason why this team has produced mixed results over the past 12 years is because of the defense. Other than the 2006 NFCCG and the 2017 2013 Divisional round, every single playoff game this team has lost has been because the defense couldn't get a stop.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 11, 2018

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this dude is the frank gore of qbs

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Cavauro posted:

So he's Vinny Testaverde?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

Bite your tongue!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quiet Feet posted:

So he's Vinny Testaverde?

Vinny Testaverde is a god-tier football player name.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

This is it. The post you've probably been waiting for. Today is the day Sketch Zephyr goes super saiyajin 2015, pops all the performance enhancing drugs, and goes absolutely batshit insane.

Just take a look at this poo poo:

Who are those lines on the spreadsheet you might ask? IT DOESN'T MATTER. Guys who are riding the pine this year posted career games in 2015 against the Saints. Week after week the guy under center benefited from the performance enhancing drug known as the Saints Defense. By my reckoning, 6 different quarterbacks had the best games of their career against the Saints that season. Kirk Cousins Sketch Zephyr posted a 158.3! Carson PalmerSketch threw 3 TDs and 0 picks in week 1! HoyerZephyr was nearly twice as effective as Brees in the Houston game! Somehow, the Saints managed to win 7 games, despite the fact that thanks to the nearly nonexistent defense, Drew Brees was usually the statistically 2nd best quarterback on the field nearly every week of the season.

For Brees' part, he did not let the team down, though he did miss a game thanks to an injury to his throwing shoulder, the same one that had been repaired during the 2006 offseason that led the elite QB to the Saints as a free agent. This would be only the 2nd game Drew would miss, and the 1st he'd miss due to injury. Drew put up his typically excellent numbers, but they just didn't matter. With half the team being so abjectly miserable, he'd be ignored, and unjustified speculation that his career was done would begin in earnest this season.

code:
68.3      7.77    2.13     33        0.73      11          101           4870
*note that these stats are from 14 1/2 games.

Sketch would feast upon the Saints defense all season long. His worst game was merely good, his best games, and there were many of them, would count as career days for almost every quarterback that had ever played the game. In our world, Cam Newton won the MVP, but here, Sketch wins it, and it the voting isn't even close. Even in losing efforts Sketch was almost always the best quarterback on the field. He was accurate, efficient, and prolific.

code:
69.8    297.2    9.04    2.81     45        0.56      9         114.9           4755
Those numbers probably make Sketch's 2015 campaign somewhere in the top 3 three QB seasons of all time. Think on that for a moment. One of the best seasons a quarterback has ever had was because a team had no answers on defense all season long.

Next time: More of the same.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 15, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Something you didnt touch on is Sketch Zephyr sets the single seaon passing yardage record and its not close.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Barudak posted:

Something you didnt touch on is Sketch Zephyr sets the single seaon passing yardage record and its not close.

He's never broken 5000 yards.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

A.o.D. posted:

That's amazing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Im missing something here because if you average 365 yards a game over 16 games you end up well north of 5000

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Barudak posted:

Im missing something here because if you average 365 yards a game over 16 games you end up well north of 5000

Very good catch. My Formulae were all hosed up. Like I said, I'm not very good at this. Sketch still had an amazing year, and his hallmark has been efficiency, not raw stats, though his raw numbers this year were still pretty great.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 15, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Holy moly I had no idea, I thought the peak worst saints defense was right after the super bowl win, not two years ago

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mastershakeman posted:

Holy moly I had no idea, I thought the peak worst saints defense was right after the super bowl win, not two years ago

Oh god, no. 2010-2011 were much better than 2012, 2014, 2015, or 2016 (2013 was weird Rob Ryan dead cat bounce).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

How many consecutive years can a team finish 7-9 and not be labelled :mediocre:? The Saints would post their 3rd straight 7-9 season, their 4th in the past 5 years, and their 6th in Sean Payton's 11 year tenure*. Amazingly, the team never did get called that. The offense was too stellar, the defense was too putrid. The only aspect of the team that could be considered average was special teams, as they did little to help or hurt the team's overall chances.

*reminder that 2012 was the suspension season.

That's not to say there was no attempt to improve. Rob Ryan was given the boot after his 2015 defense proved to be the worst in league history. Dennis Allen was promoted to take his place and some personnel changes were made, though they weren't enough. The pass defense was nearly as bad as last year, and teams knew to air it out at will. Turnovers were generated at a very low rate, and too many games required the offense to score 30+ points just to stay competitive. What was more frustrating was the defensive unit's lack of consistency. They produced a few decent games, but at their worst they were every bit as bad as the previous season. There was some reason to hope, however. The 2016 defense proved to be effective at the run, and the Saints were considerably more effective on the ground than their opponents.

Drew Brees blah blah carried the team, :words: :words: let's laugh the people that suggested he was done, tl;dr he was "merely" great. Oh yeah, and he had yet another 5000+ yard season. No biggie.

code:
70        7.74    2.31     37        0.94      15         101.7          4208
Sketch Zephyr would continue to feast on the Saints' defensive woes. Although this season he wouldn't enjoy the support of a strong run game, defenders were wide open most of the time he looked downfield. He'd have more games with a passer rating over 100 than under, and his worst game of the year posted a 74.8. He wasn't especially prolific in the Red Zone, but he protected the ball and did what it took to take his team to victory 9 times this season. While Matt Ryan would get the MVP, Sketch earned a pro bowl appearance.

code:
65.9    284.4    7.94    1.69     27        0.56      9         99.1           4550
Next time, things finally get better, but for Saints fans this season did have 28-3 redeeming things to it. Is that 25 redeeming things? I'm not sure how the math on that works out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

It's 2017, and we've come to the end of our journey so far. The Saints would finally claw their way out of the mire of mediocrity, but not without some changes. Long time Payton cohort Joe Vitt was fired from the time, as was most of the coaching staff. This was almost certainly a job saving measure by Sean Payton, as three consecutive years of 7-9 finishes had eroded most of the patience he'd earned from the good years, as well as the Superbowl victory. Dennis Allen was brought in to be the DC, and an almost completely new staff installed around him. In truth, this only marginally improved the Saints' defensive performance that season, as what really mattered was that the team had produced one of the greatest draft classes in its history. This year the Saints would have both the Defensive and Offensive Rookies of the year in Marshon Lattimore and Alvin Kamara. They'd gain 4 wins from the previous year, finishing the regular season at 11-5, take the NFC South over the Carolina Panthers (whom they managed to defeat three times that year), and lose to the Minnesota Vikings on a missed tackle as time expired in the divisional round of the playoffs. A disappointing end, to be sure, but a massive improvement over the previous three years.

Some of Drew Brees' raw stats saw a sharp decline from previous seasons. His touchdowns were way down, but so were his interceptions. A closer look showed that his efficiency was way up. Thanks to the combined rushing attack of Kamara and Ingram, the most effective rushing duo in the league, Drew no longer needed to carry the team. His passing attempts went down, as did his yardage, but his yards per attempt went up, as did his passer rating, even though, or rather, BECAUSE he was throwing the ball less. For the entirety of Drew's career in New Orleans, he was always the first look to make a play happen, but 2017 finally saw that dynamic shift, and it wasn't at all because of Drew's age. When he had to, he was more than capable of carrying the team on his shoulders. He just didn't have to as much. On a final note, Brees would again set a new record for best completion percentage all time.

code:
72        8.09    1.44     23        0.5       8          103.9          4334
Sketch Zephyr's inconsistent ways would come back strong this year. He never seemed to be able to find his center. He was almost never okay instead, he seemed to only be capable of either great performances or abject garbage. What's more, he tended to be very streaky. He'd be able to carve up the Saints secondary several weeks in a row, but then suffer an equally long stretch where the only open hands he seemed capable of finding were wearing black and gold. His play could be only described as mercurial. He was equally likely to put up a good performance as a bad one, regardless of what team he passed for. Some of his raw stats were better than Brees', but in general he just wasn't as efficient or as protective of the football. Taken as a whole, his season was decidedly average, but at his worst he did far more to hurt his teams' chances than Drew did.

code:
61.4     222     7.07    1.5     24         1.38      22         84.6           4161
Next time: Well, there is no next time, not just yet. The 2018 season is still unfolding, and Sketch's vendetta against the New Orleans Saints hasn't run its course. He's had his ups and downs so far this year, but they've mostly been ups. Even so, he's lost more than he's won, and Drew Brees' efficiency has never been better. We'll see how it turns out in the fullness of time.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Next time: Well, there is no next time, not just yet.

We need the career numbers of Brees versus Zephyr for 2006-2017.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

ulmont posted:

We need the career numbers of Brees versus Zephyr for 2006-2017.

Yeah this is what I was going to ask for. It would also be cool to find someone who put up very similar numbers in a similar time span (like how pfr does automatically ) but I have no idea if there is an easy way to do that

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i fuckin hate this qb really bad!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah this is what I was going to ask for. It would also be cool to find someone who put up very similar numbers in a similar time span (like how pfr does automatically ) but I have no idea if there is an easy way to do that

It'd be easy to do on a year by year basis, but in order to do it on a career basis, you'd have to compile a SHITLOAD of stats. I ain't doin' that poo poo. Nuh uh.

I'll do a career to date for Sketch, and compare him to the QB he was closest to each season in a future post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
This was a great thread! Really appreciate you putting in the time and effort.

• Locked thread