Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

site posted:

well that's what i mean, if you're watching it in SDR there's no problem because it's specifically a problem with their HDR

Ah I getcha. And no, apparently Firefox still does not support HDR so seems like you’re right (lucky me then)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1784069985276748045

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

feedmyleg posted:

Watching that it sounds like the bigger problem is consumers not turning off auto-dimming features on their TVs. I have little sympathy for that.

on lg oleds you cant normally turn that off without a special service remote or using some software like colorcontrol

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well okay I have a lot more sympathy now

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm watching through a ps5 on a nearly 10 year old Samsung, no issues here.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vintersorg posted:

It happened again with House of the Dragon. There was a nighttime beach scene and some people couldn't see poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D83SXcguwBU

This guy is cool and goes into it (11 minutes).

Thank you so much for that, it was very informative. That's just what I've been experiencing.

Around the 6 minute mark, he mentions that UK streaming and some other countries get this effect - I'm betting that includes Australia. But from comments in this thread, I'm wondering if the US streams content in the same way, given how few other people here have had issues.

Why it doesn't apply when I torrent it, is still a mystery, but one I don't care too much about, as long as I can see what's going on.

edit: okay he goes on to say that UK viewers can use a VPN to stream from the US to avoid this issue, so there're all my questions answered.

So, my options are to either spend $30,000 on a new reference monitor grade TV, or download US versions of shows which are too dark.

In the UK (and I'm guessing Australia) streaming is done using HLG standard. In the US, they use HDR10.

Why they do this? Who the gently caress knows. But, at least now I know that they do.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thats not candy posted:

on lg oleds you cant normally turn that off without a special service remote or using some software like colorcontrol

It also voids you warrantee, according to the video.