Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The long-running and beloved WarioWare franchise is a simple idea done expertly: fill a game with hundreds of microgames, minigames so small you finish them in seconds, and surround them with the colorful and wacky hijinks of Wario and his long-suffering cohorts. Gold brings the franchise to the 3DS, combining all of the previous entries' playstyles and many of their microgames, plus the addition of full voice acting to the properly hilarious story cutscenes. They kept Kyle Hebert busy.

Wario's Excuse This Time: Having just stolen a golden pot from the village of Luxeville, Wario decides to make even more cash by delving into the tried-and-true well of microgames. He sets up a tournament to attract people and blatantly steal their money for himself, and he has his many "friends" develop even more microgames for the tournament. Sort of. They're more just doing their own thing, and you help them with their task by completing the games. The game doesn't try to make it make sense, and it doesn't need to.
Complicating matters, however, is the appearance of the tiny Luxeville hero Lulu, out to recover the golden pot and kinda just sit around until the final story segment.

JigglyJacob returns as the showrunner, taking Mugiwara Yoshi and myself (ThornBrain) along for an even better ride than last year's WarioWare: Smooth Moves LP. Warning: commentary devolves into hard laughter a lot.
----------------------------

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Cristina Vee voiced Shantae and Risky Boots in Pirate's Curse and Half Genie Hero.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The onion from 5 Volt's minigame is from a GBA game called Rhythm Tengoku. Wario's rabbits also originally came from that game. The developer for both of these games (and all other Rhythm Heaven/Warioware games) are the same.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The card one and the onion one in 5-Volt's stage are Nintendo related. The cards are because of Nintendo's start in making playing cards. The onion one is Rhythm Heaven

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

yeah boyyyy
this game good

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Weren't those bunny aliens in Orbulon's stage in the original WarioWare? Did the GBA Rhythm Heaven predate that?

Surprised it wasn't mentioned that some of the returning minigames are from Smooth Moves and DIY, also. At the very least that squat one that's in Jimmy's stage here was.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Gotta love the mid-stage music and the SPEED UP.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Mmm, so many characters to love, and WarioWare Gold delivers. Torn between Dribble and Spitz, or 5-Volt as the ones I love the most so far. Pure buffmom, or Voted Most Likely To Fight Da Toitles? Tough call.

Ah well, lookin' forward to seeing more!

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

AweStriker posted:

Weren't those bunny aliens in Orbulon's stage in the original WarioWare? Did the GBA Rhythm Heaven predate that?

Surprised it wasn't mentioned that some of the returning minigames are from Smooth Moves and DIY, also. At the very least that squat one that's in Jimmy's stage here was.

Oh yeah, the bunny is originally not from rhythm tengoku. I mixed up the dates :sweatdrop:

EponymousMrYar posted:

Gotta love the mid-stage music and the SPEED UP.

I think the SPEED UP and BOSS music is the same as Twisted (the Warioware one, not the book about rollercoasters one).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Ughhhh I want this game so bad but I promised myself no new video games until I got a new job :negative: WarioWare is really good!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Part 1 already set a good comedic baseline. This league jumps it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ThornBrain posted:

Warning: commentary devolves into hard laughter a lot.
not gonna lie this is about all i really needed to read before clicking in

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I really enjoy this cast of characters Wario's somehow just kind of blundered into surrounding himself with.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You want Robbie Daymond roles? I've got Robbie Daymond roles.

Stella Glow: Alto
The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel 2: Lloyd Bannings
Persona 5: Goro Akechi
Sailor Moon (Redub): Tuxedo Mask
Fire Emblem Heroes: Ares, Tobin

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

And then there's his latest role: Kenshiro.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

There's only room for one nice horsey in this town.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Wario, the worst Christmas caroller.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This is such a cute game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The Orbulon Boss Game (Thief) is a twist on the Fruit minigame in Game & Wario, so that's one WiiU reference in this game!

If you haven't played it, it's one of those very few WiiU games that actually make use of the GamePad, where you have one player using the GamePad to play the thief trying to snatch all fruit in the stage and a few other players watching the entire stage from the TV screen who try to figure out who the thief is. It's pretty neat, try it out if you get the chance.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
I'm pleasantly surprised at how funny this game is.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The story concludes in much the way I expected, but the LP is far from done.

Dudethunder
Jan 12, 2012
Honestly, I was expecting the hat to be one of those tins you seal evil in, not that.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

You can't be a doctor without a Ph-atDick.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Wario Watch is indeed a mode from Twisted, compare this surprisingly watchable GBA offscreen footage.

I think Twisted still has my favorite aesthetic of all the games.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Sameow. I'm still disappointed.

Wednesday will be the final update, and it's a doozy.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Pyoro was originally from the first GBA WarioWare. It's also in that game as a plot device for why Wario is making these games in the first place. Super Pyoro is new though. Similarly, Mewtroid is from WarioWare Twisted, while Mewtroid 2 is new for this game.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 20, 2018

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
goddamnit thorn! your LP has just convinced me to buy the dang thing. There goes my birthday money.

Also, you guys are great and the fact that y'all seem to have so much fun really sells both the game and LP.

After playing FE Echoes and Heroes lately it's so weird hearing Celica, Frederick and Tobin again.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The LP goes out on multiple high points.

Thanks again to Jacob for doing this absolute blast of an LP for us!

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Fantastic LP with a lot of laughs. Thanks!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh my god I nearly died laughing at the dub of Ashley.

I need to catch my breath.

Holy poo poo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Warioware is really good
this LP is really good

more LPs where the commentators just lose it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Beware those with Uve's. Youve's?

Man I dunno, it being hungry is weird enough but to also be truncated? English cannot handle this.

• Locked thread