Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

All aboard the spike train?

Wily 2 is a decent enough stage, but I'm not entirely sold on it and I think I enjoyed Wily 1 more. It's just not very interesting outside the train segments, and until the final one (which I'll admit is epic) they're functionally no different from Torch Man's fire walls.

Mawverne is a good boss, though, and definitely has a very different feel to the robot masters (which is good in a fortress boss). Weirdly enough, I tend to struggle more with it than I do with Yellow Devil, though that could just be because Yellow Devil's pattern is easy enough to memorise, and Mawverne is big enough I keep running into it.

I was definitely just as surprised as you guys when the rematch room appeared; this may well be the shortest Wily Fortress we've ever had, which I can't help being disappointed by even if the levels we got are pretty good. It was short enough that I almost expected a second fortress, like several games had. It doesn't help that on top of that, the rematch level just ends after the rematches; I don't think this is the first time that's happened, but it feels a bit cheap when there are this few levels. I don't want to complain too much, but at the same time, saying "the game is good and I wanted more of it" isn't exactly bad.

One of the things I'd been talking about under spoiler bars before was Bounce Man breaking up when hit with his weakness (in addition to knocking him out of his speed gear mode). Even if it doesn't make a huge difference, I like how much it can change the fight, and I think it's a bit of a missed opportunity that they didn't do anything like that with the other bosses. (IIRC they've occasionally done this in previous games too - Armour Armadillo comes to mind, for instance - but never consistently.)

I'm disappointed you still haven't seen Blast Man's power gear attack, but he definitely seems to be the easiest one to defeat without seeing it. It's unfortunately less interesting than some of the others, he basically does the same throwing patterns but with the giant bombs (the same ones you throw under power gear) instead of his normal ones.

Fuse Man may be rather generic and interchangeable with every other electric robot master, but I still think he's a solid execution of the concept and that should count for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 17 - Where's The Boss?

And that my friends brings us to the end of the LP!

As Tea and I mention in the video, we have a few good options for our next LP:

Chrono Trigger Randomiser: Honestly there is very little more that can be said about Chrono Trigger, it is a stellar game with an amazing plot and incredible music and characters. For a long time Tea and I have considered LPing it, but we didn't know what else we could contribute to the game.

The advent of Randomisation has given us a chance to hopefully approach Chrono Trigger in a completely new and interesting way and we would love to be able to share that with you.

XCOM: The original XCOM is touted as an excellent strategy game, but somehow Tea and I have managed to avoid the entire series to date. I've played a number of strategy games in a similar vein to XCOM whereas Tea has broadly avoided the genre entirely. We hope this Blind LP will ideally highlight how players of different backgrounds and experience levels approach the same game as a team. Also we're excited by the idea of you all submitting your character creations to us for our pool of random soldiers.

Sonic Generations: A younger Nat once bought Sonic Unleashed on his Wii. He fell in love with the Daytime Sonic gameplay and began a desperate search for games that would fill the niche. Sonic Generations, was the second game, after Sonic Colours to scratch that itch. Tea however, has never played the game at all. We think this provides an interesting LP concept with Tea playing the game through for the first time and then comparing his level approach to my own from an experienced perspective.

Voting is available here, you may vote for any games that you want to see played and we'll pick the one with the most votes at the end:
https://www.strawpoll.me/16845475

Thanks so much for following through this LP with us and we'll be happy to see you again on January 7th 2019 when we debut our next project!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh you should have looked at the Gallery.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I laughed so hard at doctor Wily's end :D Thanks for a fun LP, guys!

Also, I'm really really rooting for a blind X-COM :getin:

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

... oh my god that was amazing. You somehow skipped the final mode of Wily's 2nd form entirely (once he reaches low enough HP, he uses Double Gear and starts rocketing across the screen very fast with the power gear attachments, making him very tough to hit; it also goes on forever, unlike every other boss's gear attacks). You definitely had a much easier time with this Wily Machine than I did, though some of that comes from my trying to do it buster-only for a long time and being reluctant to use E-tanks.

Both forms of Wily are actually weak to Acid Barrier, although Chain Blast definitely works well against the first form (and I tend to prefer it so as to save Acid Barrier ammo for phase two, since you can blow through it fast if you keep screwing up and getting the barrier popped).

If you reload your clear file and go back to the shop, there are actually two new items you can buy that are basically god-mode (one gives you unlimited weapon ammo, and the other gives you unlimited gear meter), and you can replay all the levels (and the bosses will be back). Not terribly interesting and it gets old quickly, but they're a neat novelty I guess. A few of the other items that didn't unlock for you have surprisingly arcane requirements, but you didn't really miss much.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh you should have looked at the Gallery.

Also this, definitely this.

I agree with you guys that the end of this game is disappointingly short; it's my one real gripe with it, as I said earlier. Challenge Mode isn't quite as bad as it sounds, though I'm not quite going to recommend it (some modes are much more interesting than others, and it doesn't sound like most will appeal to you); Medal Collector and Balloon Rush really are interesting twists on the stages that feel like new content, there are a handful of interestingly weird things in Playground, and I found Dr Light's Trial very satisfying to finally beat even though it was frustratingly hard to slog through. I doubt I'd have spent so much time on Challenge Mode if the game itself had had more content, though.

I do find it quite interesting you both liked MM9 better than this one - personally, I was very disappointed by both 9 and 10 and never even bothered finishing them (I got a lot more enjoyment out of the fangames Megaman Unlimited and Megaman: Super Fighting Robot). I thought they felt a bit uninspired, though my biggest gripe with them was that having the slide (and to a lesser extent charge shot) taken away felt like they were ignoring innovation to force a retro (and specifically MM2) feel. It didn't strike me as a good design decision; even if I understand why they did it (2 and 3 do tend to be considered the highest points of the NES games) it just felt like they were trying too hard to me. I also tend to be pretty buster-focused, to the point the weapons in 9 didn't even register for me and I keep being surprised by the way you both talk about them. I'm not sure why this game's weapons appealed to me in a way previous ones didn't, but I think the situationality of them may be part of it - you can feel clever for figuring out how to make use of them, and it rewards rapidly switching between them (which they make it very easy to do with the right stick).

The plot in this game was utter nonsense and the gear theme an endless exercise in dead-horse-beating, but I still thought it was a breath of fresh air and might well be my favourite Megaman game.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm surprised you didn't do the bonus game content with Dr. Light's stages. You guys were willing to put up with Beelzebub and Galamoth after all.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Only at the end of the Wily fight right now, but that's an interesting way to speed up the second phase.

Azurelana
Nov 6, 2018

Too cute to function

Shitenshi posted:

I'm surprised you didn't do the bonus game content with Dr. Light's stages. You guys were willing to put up with Beelzebub and Galamoth after all.

Yeah they went through a lot in SOTN.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't care about 9 or 10 because they lack the slide and mega buster. Making the gameplay slower and limiting options. I can enjoy playing this game and doing hard mode, despite taking away some expectations of the franchise.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If you play the original X-COM: UFO Defense/UFO: Enemy Unknown, will you be using any kind of patch with it? There's apparently a weird bug that resets the difficulty to the easiest setting whenever you reload a save, which got a lot of people thinking that it was really easy back in the day. As a result the sequel Terror From The Deep was made to be harder than UFO Defense's hardest difficulty. And that turned out to be so soul-crushingly painful that only crazy people like GuavaMoment and Jade Star could make it through TFTD's own hardest difficulties.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
OpenXcom (with their data patch) is the reasonable way to play X-Com these days. There are plenty of pretty nasty glitches in the original, some are potentially run ending. Such as the one where your soldiers don't get any ammo for a critical mission, because there wasn't enough room in the squad equipping screen to display it. OpenXcom also enables a bunch of useful quality of life type stuff.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I can't believe you've been evaded "WILY ALWAYS WINS":byodood:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi posted:

It's very much that we felt that the LP came to a natural ending with us beating Wily. We could have thrown ourselves into the bonus content but there's an extent to which I feel that wouldn't have worked as well as a conclusion. (We did that in Mega Man 9 because we knew we were going to LP Mega Man 10 straight after). Also with SotN I didn't know that Galamoth wasn't actually mandatory.

In poll news.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but after a day of voting CT Randomiser and XCOM are neck and neck with 21 votes a piece and Sonic is only slightly behind with 16 votes.

I'll keep the poll open until Sunday the 25th of November so if you're invested get your friends voting away!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm going to have to vote against Chrono Trigger. It's one of my favorite games ever, but I just don't think a randomizer would significantly affect the way you play the game. With games like ALttP and Super Metroid where the randomizer affects tools and power-ups that you use to solve puzzles and traverse the game world, and progress is more gated by what you can do rather than plot progression, randomizers can result in some crazy and unconventional play. In an RPG like CT, where you're going from plot point A to plot point B, will it matter whether you get a sword in a different spot or who ends up with what element? And from your description it sounds like most of the game is going to be "bash your head repeatedly against an enemy whose numbers are far too high, and then sleepwalk through a section when the randomizer tunes it too low", and that doesn't sound too interesting. Honestly, I think Cross would be better for a randomizer than Trigger, because you could at least switch up what characters join when.

I have absolutely no experience with XCom at all, and pretty much all I know about the series is that the first game had a glitch that locked it at the highest difficulty level, regardless of which one you selected. Then some sperglords complained that it was too easy, so the easiest difficulty of the sequel is tuned to the highest difficulty of the first game. XCom would be interesting due to my inexperience with the franchise, but the fact that neither of you know much if anything more than I do about the series is a bit of a turn-off.

Sonic Generations is supposedly one of the better 3D Sonic games, and since we've seen Nat20 playing blind and Tea being the guide in SOTN, it'll be interesting to see the dynamic flipped.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I'm very much pro-xcom out of the choices! It's a great game for a blind LP, since the whole theme is 'Enemy Unknown'. It's all about discovering what the aliens actually are and how to fight them.

That being said, it's also very old school, and I'd encourage you to stick a bunch of QoL enhancements in there to make the idiosyncrasies more bearable.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
To clarify: Tea and I will be playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown, the 2012 release.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Ooh, solid game. That's my vote, especially if you tack Enemy Within on. It's a content expansion, it's pretty massive.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

To clarify: Tea and I will be playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown, the 2012 release.

Allright, then I would encourage you to play with the Enemy Within expansion, since it fleshes out the campaign.

edit: have you thought about just going straight for XCOM2? With the DLC I think it's just the superior game. And the ways you can personalize and individualize soldiers are out of the park.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hello Everyone!

The Polls are now closed and winning with an impressive 44% of the vote is XCOM.

So it's settled our next LP will be XCOM Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within Blind. I'll be keeping this thread open and giving it one more sneaky bump when the new LP releases to nudge people along to it before closing and submitting for the archives.