Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oh, that's cute. nice to hear things are still going! i was curious how things were nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

pixaal posted:

I haven't played since around launch but I'm pretty sure dungeons scale with player count only epic dungeons need a full party. You can easily solo them.

Yeah in my experience from around launch and ~2 months after, anything but an epic dungeon was easily doable with a single player.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

oh, that's cute. nice to hear things are still going! i was curious how things were nowadays.

I haven't played it since a couple months after launch. I am not sure if any other goons still play this game, I killed off the discord server a couple months back after it got to the point where the server was having like 1 post every couple days, and it looked like the goon groups had basically collapsed and anyone who was still playing had moved off the dead goon guilds. I don't really have a desire to play this again, though so any goon revival will be run by someone else.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Did they ever get around to releasing the Punchmans class?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Yeah there are two "new" classes from when I tried it out at launch; the Striker who is the punchman mentioned and the Soul Binder who is like 'Priest Only Fun'.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

When I played the game last year at launch I never really played around with the professions in game but since the person I'm playing with right now is obsessed with farming and ranching I have been this time and I have to say that compared to WoW the whole thing feels pointless.

Aside from mounts there doesn't seem to be anything worth crafting and a ton of the items that you can make just give a bonus to skill gain for one of the other professions which... okay, I guess but it is so simple to grind them that I don't exactly know why you'd want that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

NorgLyle posted:

When I played the game last year at launch I never really played around with the professions in game but since the person I'm playing with right now is obsessed with farming and ranching I have been this time and I have to say that compared to WoW the whole thing feels pointless.

Aside from mounts there doesn't seem to be anything worth crafting and a ton of the items that you can make just give a bonus to skill gain for one of the other professions which... okay, I guess but it is so simple to grind them that I don't exactly know why you'd want that.

It's something to do while you wait on the dungeon queue

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Did the max character level increase or any new actual areas or content come out? I haven't played since whatever like a year+ ago because it was just running the fire-lizard dungeon over and over or whatever. I love the style, but there just wasn't enough content (probably due to the epic quest accelerating everything, in a roundabout sort of awful way).

I just want a relaxing game to grind while drunk on a Saturday night, where I don't have to do the same damned dungeon over and over.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Sundae posted:

Did the max character level increase or any new actual areas or content come out? I haven't played since whatever like a year+ ago because it was just running the fire-lizard dungeon over and over or whatever. I love the style, but there just wasn't enough content (probably due to the epic quest accelerating everything, in a roundabout sort of awful way).

I just want a relaxing game to grind while drunk on a Saturday night, where I don't have to do the same damned dungeon over and over.
It's level 70 now but the grind is essentially unchanged; there are just new dungeons you're doing over and over.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Not that I've played this game in ages, but just got email the game is shutting down end of month.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

loving game didn't even make it 2 years. Guess you can't get it right twice i guess.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

orange juche posted:

loving game didn't even make it 2 years. Guess you can't get it right twice i guess.
I had fun with MS2 but I think the feeling that there was no real reason to bother with the lategame grind hurt it a lot; there wasn't anything behind any of the gates except for more grinding and the fact that after the first real content update people realized that they were going to give away items that were on par with the things you were grinding to get made it feel meaningless.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it was a cute game but yeah i don't think the actual gameplay aspect had enough to keep people hooked

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I had fun making a few outfits but Animal Crossing lets me do that too. Dungeons were okay but after the first month or so I was kind of done with the game.

Still don't want to go back to it, but also sad it's going away it's something I have recommended for quick a quick MMO fix to friends.

RedRaven
Sep 11, 2001

He's going to SHOCK the world!
It was a cute game but outside of a few things it didn’t really hit the “maplestory” itch for me. There was a lot lost in terms of aesthetics from the move to 3D from 2D.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I only really liked exploring and house building, but tons of house cubes were locked behind currency where you could only buy one at a time? Also there was stupid 4chan and chud stuff everywhere

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I enjoyed the little mini games more than the actual game.

Dance Dance Stop was my favorite.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The core gameplay seemed fine but I really didn't care for the grind. Who has time for that anymore?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

The core gameplay seemed fine but I really didn't care for the grind. Who has time for that anymore?

looks at unemployment rate sharply increasing "lots of people as of 2 weeks ago".

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

pixaal posted:

looks at unemployment rate sharply increasing "lots of people as of 2 weeks ago".

ya that's why every mmo is having a special to get quarantined people to play

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

pixaal posted:

Not really? I've got a backlog of other games I could be playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

pixaal posted:

So nexon loving up again by shutting down Maplestory 2 when they could be luring new suckers in