Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Throuple of Ted Kord, Barbara Gorden and Booster Gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah I think her time between Batgirl and Oracle is pretty evenly split. But her and Dick going out on team ups has been fun.

Honestly the only time Babs as Batgirl was really intrusive was in, oddly, Batgirls where it should have been much more about Cass and Steph in the early going but I think there was something that mandated Babs be Batgirl at the time, plus coming out of Future State or whatever it was.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Throuple of Ted Kord, Barbara Gorden and Booster Gold

Ted has two hands; Greg Rucka could write this perfectly imo. Hell, might get me to pick up a mainstream book again.

Somewhere along the way I thought Dick and Barbara dated young, broke up/drifted apart when Dick went to the Teen Titans, then Dick dated Kory for a while until (insert whatever reason someone is dead this week) and now Dick and Barbara are dating again just in their 30s like when you come back to a high school partner? But I’m probably mashing together multiple book and TV timelines. Like are all the bat kids still kids after 20 years? There was a graphic novel I had where it was the Bat Fam with Nightwing running stuff because Bruce was dead a caveman Fourth World shenanigans not there and it felt like they were really pushing the story forward and wish we had more of that.

Why can’t these whining manchildren get mad about stuff like “we never got Ralph and Sue Dibny ghost detectives?”

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

site posted:

Only one solution: throuple

I accidentally came to this conclusion myself. We have a solution, people! One's on the East Coast, one's on the West, you don't even have to worry about them stepping on each other's toes (unless you want them to, I guess).

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
A supervillain who's plan is to get women to date Nightwing until his schedule is too full to fight crime.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
How to beat Nightwing

Introduce him to women.
Set him up with multiple women.
Make each one believe he has a date with them.
Make it so the date is at the same place at the same time.
Allow them to discover he has a date with each while waiting for him.
Arrange for him to show up at the location soon after.
Profit!

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I’m fine as long as Batman isn’t involved in any way.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The Last Call posted:

How to beat Nightwing

Introduce him to women.
Set him up with multiple women.
Make each one believe he has a date with them.
Make it so the date is at the same place at the same time.
Allow them to discover he has a date with each while waiting for him.
Arrange for him to show up at the location soon after.
Profit!

This is Dick Grayson, somehow he'll manage to not only talk his way out of it, but they'll all be perfectly satisfied and supportive of him.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Kurui Reiten posted:

This is Dick Grayson, somehow he'll manage to not only talk his way out of it, but they'll all be perfectly satisfied and supportive of him.

Nightwing"s super power is Dat rear end

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Why can’t these whining manchildren get mad about stuff like “we never got Ralph and Sue Dibny ghost detectives?”

It's unfortunate, but appropriate for this thread, that the super fun Elongated Man mini from the early 90's is written by Gerard Jones.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Starting to watch Jimmy Palmioti retweet a bunch of alt right and comicsgate creator projects and I'm not sure if it's ignorance on the subject or a changing of ideals. I'm really too exhausted at this point to figure out which. He's always seemed center lib which seems like a ripe place for cg'ers to pull from.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Palmioti wouldn’t surprise me although I’m basing this on a decade-plus old “I just have this feeling” impressions after reading Queen Crab

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I found my copy of Comics Journal 304, which I bought because it has a long interview with Simon Hanselmann in it, and woof, he is a fascinating dude, and also a oval office (in his own words, and accurately). Absolutely lovely upbringing that a lot of the events of Megg Mogg and Owl are drawn directly from, genderfluid, weird mix of bootstraps mentality and leftwing political leaning, has a hatred of soft-queer tumblr culture and neo-pronouns, thinks the metoo movement went too far but has never been accused of anything even obliquely and is all accounts not a creepy gently caress. I wish I could repost the whole thing but it's a good chunk of the issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I always figured the creator of Megg Mog and Owl had some, let's go with "interesting," upbringing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

I always figured the creator of Megg Mog and Owl had some, let's go with "interesting," upbringing.

in the interview he casually mentions several instances of being abused as a child ("not too seriously though"), and also smoking weed at 8 years old.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Werewolf Jones is not the product of a sound mind

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Hanselman has basically stated that any comic featuring Megg's mum is autobiographical which if you've read them is woooof.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The other stuff is very typical Australian "popular left" which is mildly centre-right. Mildly progressive socially, "except for the real weirdos" (this was lgb people a decade and a half ago) and economically gently caress you got mine

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

The other stuff is very typical Australian "popular left" which is mildly centre-right. Mildly progressive socially, "except for the real weirdos" (this was lgb people a decade and a half ago) and economically gently caress you got mine

The thing is, Hanselmann IS one of the real weirdos and specifically quotes the existence of the dole as being the reason he could focus on comics. In the interview you can really see him ping-ponging back and forth between progressive views and the ingrained centre-right attitudes you describe. Real fascinating stuff.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The thing is, Hanselmann IS one of the real weirdos and specifically quotes the existence of the dole as being the reason he could focus on comics. In the interview you can really see him ping-ponging back and forth between progressive views and the ingrained centre-right attitudes you describe. Real fascinating stuff.

Absolutely, and that "well it doesn't include me" attitude is also very Aus-centric, politically. Maybe some hangover of our cultural tall-poppie syndrome or similar, I dunno :confused: but iot's what makes Megg Mogg and Owl a really good example of Australiana. It's progressive enough that this diverse group of gently caress-ups can recognise that they're on the outskirts of society, but they also take glee in punching down at those some minorities with a very conservative bent? The WWJ Annual definitely highlights this concept a lot more than other MM&O books too, imo. There's a lot of queer self-loathing and targeting to be had with that character and it goes full tilt towards it in quite a few of the stories.

MM&O is an enigma wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a pre-lubed dragoncock dildo laced with meth, is what i think i'm trying to say. a land of contrasts

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Most people irl are a weird mix of ideologies, often ones seemingly in contrast to one another. Thats life

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
I was a huge fan of Hanselmann up until Crisis Zone, at which point I fell off hard and kind of regretted how much I enjoyed the earlier work. Not only did the quality and coherence of the work take a dive, but it also read like Hanselmann had veered hard into "gently caress You, Got Mine" territory after the success of the last couple of books.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

RevKrule posted:

Starting to watch Jimmy Palmioti retweet a bunch of alt right and comicsgate creator projects and I'm not sure if it's ignorance on the subject or a changing of ideals. I'm really too exhausted at this point to figure out which. He's always seemed center lib which seems like a ripe place for cg'ers to pull from.

Is there any more news on this?

Considering he tends to collab on several books with people, usually his wife Amanda Connor this could go quite bad.

They tend to get successful work, and they have not been blacklisted up until this point so it's not like they need to deal with these people or support them.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The Last Call posted:

Is there any more news on this?

Considering he tends to collab on several books with people, usually his wife Amanda Connor this could go quite bad.

They tend to get successful work, and they have not been blacklisted up until this point so it's not like they need to deal with these people or support them.

It's been a slow burn. I mostly started noticing it in the past couple months when i saw him retweeting stuff about the Soska Sisters new project with the Rippaverse. He then started appearing on Eric July's youtube channel and promoting that. And recently I saw him retweeting a project from a Melanie Mac fanboy and that kinda became the final straw for me.

He's a big "creator owned, back kickstarter projects" kinda guy but it felt like it's going in a direction that's gonna be bad.

It's one of those things where I felt like i was seeing the flags starting to pop up and having to say to myself "am I actually the crazy one?"

I don't think he's alt-right per se but it feels like one of those "we need to find a middle ground with people who are actively antagonizing vulnerable groups' succlib centrist bullshit you hear.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Claytor posted:

I was a huge fan of Hanselmann up until Crisis Zone, at which point I fell off hard and kind of regretted how much I enjoyed the earlier work. Not only did the quality and coherence of the work take a dive, but it also read like Hanselmann had veered hard into "gently caress You, Got Mine" territory after the success of the last couple of books.

Yeah, plus Crisis Zone is pretty much a webcomic done over COVID, whereas the others are either deliberate long-form works or collections of zines. So there's less room for the kind of sudden punch of tragedy that the other books have.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

RevKrule posted:

It's been a slow burn. I mostly started noticing it in the past couple months when i saw him retweeting stuff about the Soska Sisters new project with the Rippaverse. He then started appearing on Eric July's youtube channel and promoting that. And recently I saw him retweeting a project from a Melanie Mac fanboy and that kinda became the final straw for me.

He's a big "creator owned, back kickstarter projects" kinda guy but it felt like it's going in a direction that's gonna be bad.

It's one of those things where I felt like i was seeing the flags starting to pop up and having to say to myself "am I actually the crazy one?"

I don't think he's alt-right per se but it feels like one of those "we need to find a middle ground with people who are actively antagonizing vulnerable groups' succlib centrist bullshit you hear.

I know he's very good friends with Quesada so it'd surprise me if he went chuddy. Likely he's just older and doesn't follow the minutia imo. Being married to one of the biggest female artists doesn't seem to mesh with CG either.

It's this century though so they're probably terrible and awful. I hope not though.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

That's how I see it, it's an education thing. But at the same time, I feel like educating people these days just drives them further right. That's where my biggest frustration right now comes from.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RevKrule posted:

That's how I see it, it's an education thing. But at the same time, I feel like educating people these days just drives them further right. That's where my biggest frustration right now comes from.

To be right wing requires being at least one of evil, ignorant and stupid. The evil ones you don't bother trying to educate. And there's nothing a stupid, ignorant person hates more than admitting they are wrong, so they inevitably double down.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Studies have proven that to be true.

You can try to educate them and show them actual evidence and they'll only get worse from it.

It kinda explains a lot for the current state of the world.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

The Last Call posted:

Studies have proven that to be true.

You can try to educate them and show them actual evidence and they'll only get worse from it.

It kinda explains a lot for the current state of the world.

That is very interesting! Has anyone found a method that works, then? Or does it take like, an actual full-on cult deprogramming treatment?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

isasphere posted:

That is very interesting! Has anyone found a method that works, then? Or does it take like, an actual full-on cult deprogramming treatment?

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be much you can do.

There are tons of stories out there of family trying to help one member who went down the rabbit hole. But what can you do? As soon as you lay off them they're watching and listening to the same old things and any positive change goes out the window. And that's if they even listen to you. Most won't.

The most you can really do is call out their BS when they say it and give some tough love and hope somehow it gets through.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You are effectively indoctrinating them into an entirely different way of thinking. So it's going to take as much effort as raising a child. No single event is going to change anything.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There are methods of persuasion that can be effective but a lot depends on the particular situation and their prior view of you as an information source. I’ve got some old posts digging into the persuasion literature, I can dig em up next week.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Seems like every successful story I've heard has required either them coming into personal, face to face contact with something that contradicts what they are being fed, or being threatened with losing loved ones. Or using parental controls to block access to Fox news, ironically enough. Of course, none of these are full proof.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Listened to the QAnon episode of Maintenance Phase today (it’s a health myths podcast, there’s a pipeline from wellness industry to QAnon) and their guest said you basically keep an open line of communication where you do NOT discuss their beliefs and even then the people he spoke to about getting out of it were inspired by the smallest loose threads they chose to pull. If you chose to remain in contact it’s more about being someone they can come to and confide their regrets/shame in and maybe ask for help.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I’ve been meaning to slog through that (not a podcast fan); the interplay between pseudoscience and other harms is like my whole thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.38north.org/2024/04/what-we-learned-inside-a-north-korean-internet-server-how-well-do-you-know-your-partners/

quote:

However, in 2016, the studio was sanctioned by the US Department of Treasury as a North Korean state-owned enterprise. The US government has twice laid additional sanctions on Chinese companies that have worked with the studio or acted as a go-between, once in 2021 and again in 2022.

All three cities are known to have many North Korean-operated businesses and are main centers for North Korea’s IT workers who live overseas.

Projects Identified

The files related to a range of projects, suggesting several animators were likely involved in the work.

Over the month we observed this traffic, the apparent identity of some of the projects became clear. They included:

Season 3 of “Invincible,” an Amazon Original animated series produced by California-based Skybound Entertainment. A document on the server carried the name of the series and “Viltruminte Pants LLC,” which appears to be part of the Skybound group.
“Iyanu, Child of Wonder,” an anime about a superhero created by Maryland-based YouNeek Studios and being produced and animated by Lion Forge Entertainment for airing in 2024 on HBO Max.
“Dahliya In Bloom” (魔導具師ダリヤはうつむかない), a Japanese anime series scheduled to air from July 2024.

quote:

There is no evidence to suggest that the companies identified in the images had any knowledge that a part of their project had been subcontracted to North Korean animators. In fact, as the editing comments on all the files, including those related to US-based animations, were written in Chinese, it is likely that the contracting arrangement was several steps downstream from the major producers.

tldr, stuff contracted to chinese studios is getting passed further on to NK studios, violating lots of things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's a graphic novel memoir called Pyongyang that's about a French animator working with North Korean animators that their show had been outsourced to. This isn't a new thing.