Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

:siren: Spoilers? I don't consider this game to be too story heavy with enough heavy twists and turns to truly worry about. That being said, let's at least keep endgame stuff and one big secret, the deal with the Dark Ones, under wraps. :siren:

Metro 2033 was originally a Russian novel written by Dmitry Glukhovsky and released in 2005 (Russia) and 2010 (United States). In this book, the world has been destroyed through nuclear war, and in Russia, a large group of people managed to survive in the underground metro stations. Since the bombs dropped, mutants, bandits and unexplained anomalies have surfaced within the tunnels, making survival a massive challenge. Twenty years later, our protagonist, Artyom, is sent on an errand to a far-away station in an attempt to save the very metro itself from mysterious beings known as the Dark Ones. In 2010, a video game adaption of the book was made, simply titled "Metro 2033", which later got a Redux in 2014. A sequel, Last Light, was released in 2013 and got its own Redux the next year. Both of these Reduxes include graphical and technical improvements over the originals among other minor things. Despite being a sequel to a novel adaption, Last Light goes off and tells its own unique story away from the books. This thread will cover these two, and currently only, games in the series, both acquired from the Metro Redux pack on the PlayStation 4.

I do not intend to beat either game 100%, and neither playthrough will be live.

Metro 2033 Redux:
Part 1 - Setting Out
Part 2 - Khan and the Ghosts
Part 3 - War
Part 4 - Lurkers and Nazis
Part 5 - Polis
Part 6 - The Library
Part 7 - D6 and The Tower

Metro: Last Light Redux:
Part 1 - The Dark One
Part 2 - Nazi Shenanigans
Part 3 - Betrayal
Part 4 - Regina
Part 5 - The Swamp and Catacombs
Part 6 - Finding The Dark One
Part 7 - Redemption

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

(Reserving a post, just in case.)

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 2 - Khan and the Ghosts

Really getting into the meat and potatoes of the game now. I kind of forgot just how quickly things go by, even when I stop to look around for stuff. Already midway through the third chapter in only two videos. Looks like I was right to make this thread a double feature. While Bourbon may be gone, he is quickly replaced by the best character in the series: Khan. It's great because he just seems like this crazy old man guru that somehow manages to survive a post-apocalyptic world, but just about everything he babbles on about turns out to be true. That, and with his introduction comes a heaping spoonful of paranormal hauntings, which is some of my favorite content in the series. I can understand why a FPS game wouldn't focus so much on it compared to the book, but I still wish there was a tad bit more of it in the game instead of generic bandits and the like. It's also a pretty interesting combination; I don't think I've seen post-apocalyptic and paranormal mixed together so strongly like this aside from things like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or a few side missions in Fallout.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 3 - War

As much as I like a good gunfight, I was getting pretty sick of it by the time forty minutes had passed and I was still shooting at these weird post-apocalyptic Russian Nazis. That's still something from the series I never got; why there are Nazis here at all. I mean I guess it doesn't matter too much but it always seemed odd and out of place to me. Other than that, there isn't too much to say here, just shooting at endlessly spawning mutants for fifteen minutes, then shooting at Communists and Nazis for what felt like nearly an hour. I'd rather have followed Khan through more haunted metro tunnels instead, especially with the Nazis shoving those headlamps and stuff in my face, it was drat annoying.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 4 - Lurkers and Nazis

Boy this part was just really frustrating. Lurkers are a major pain in the rear end to deal with, their their obnoxious hit-and-run tactic paired with being really drat fast. I now know you're supposed to throw grenades in their holes, but even that won't prevent them from getting a couple of cheap swipes at you. The Nazis on the surface were a pain too, especially at that ladder area where I swear the game glitched out a bit and some of my shots just phased through one of the enemies or something like that. Thankfully the next part has a major step forward in the story, where I finally reach Polis instead of just getting ever-closer to the seemingly unreachable station.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 5 - Polis

Finally, I arrive at Polis. Unfortunately, it's kind of a lame visit that doesn't live up to the hype. Polis kept getting built up for several hours, and the player only spends about five minutes there, most of it in cutscenes. I'm aware that there's no side missions or anything in this game, but still would have been nice to at least have the option of taking a look around Polis and see what it's like. All the player really gets are two shops and an admittedly spectacular view when Artyom first enters the place. I have to say, I kind of feel sorry for Artyom, he's just this twenty year-old kid that got roped into this big long mission by Hunter for no real reason aside from the fact that he was nearby to be asked as far as I can tell. At least Hunter made a good choice in who he decided to ask, since Artyom can easily mow down armies and mutants alike. Next time I'll be covering what I consider to be the most stressful part in the entire game: The Library. Seriously, that place is just pure nightmare fuel.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Just use the full auto shotgun and blast down any creature with it. Nothing survives it's 100 full clip. Though for shotgun, I prefer the bike gun. Because it's a bicycle turned into a shotgun.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Just use the full auto shotgun and blast down any creature with it. Nothing survives it's 100 full clip. Though for shotgun, I prefer the bike gun. Because it's a bicycle turned into a shotgun.
I actually do decide to switch out for this in the next video, and it's so drat cool. Unfortunately I made the mistake of switching out my AK too. Too late to do anything about it until I just find another.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Helsing deals with Librarians pretty well.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

The Helsing deals with Librarians pretty well.
Now that I didn't know, though far too late to do anything now. I think I'd rather stick with stealth in the Library no matter what guns I have, I mean it's a pretty good way to save up on ammunition.

Part 6 - The Library

I remember The Library being a lot longer and full of more Librarians than the reality, though I am still genuinely freaked out by the place and the Librarians themselves. They just give me the goosebumps. That being said, I recall the place being at least another ten to fifteen minutes longer, and the Librarians being more aggressive. Though I suppose I did sprint my way through some parts and didn't stop to explore as much as usual, so that probably shaved off a few minutes. Overall things went well, aside from that one big hiccup right at the start, but know you all know why I hate the Librarians so much and want to avoid fighting them. Will probably even just stay stealthy even if I have a Helsing next time I play, the Librarians just make me too nervous. But now we're finally starting to see a bit more of the true nature of Dark Ones, and nice end goal in mind aside from just "Get to Polis and hope for the best" that was Artyom's mission before.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 7 - D6 and The Tower

Thus concludes the first half of the playthrough. I forgot how short this game was, I could've sworn there was maybe another hour or two left to go, but I suppose my memory is just truly faulty. It was nice of the developers to include the Biomass from the book in the game, even if it was slightly less deadly and not around for very long. Something so simple yet so disturbing about a giant living mass of featureless flesh. I mean I suppose if it had hypnotic powers like in the book, it'd be a huge pain the rear end to deal with so on second thought maybe that change was for the best. Even though I kept slipping up near the climax and the Dark Ones' repetitive phrases started to annoy me, I liked the bizarre, otherworldly aspects of the Dark Ones trying to stop Artyom. And I've mentioned this before, but I still find it amusing that you have to work and gain moral points to get the non-canon ending. My guess is, considering Last Light came out three years after the initial Metro 2033 game, they had a change of heart and decided to make the bad ending the canon one to follow the book closer. Makes sense to me.

And again mentioning stuff again, but I'm of course going to get the canon ending for Last Light as well, which will start in a day or two.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 1 - The Dark One

And so the sequel begins. I totally forgot how fast this game movies. Barely a half hour in and not only do we encounter Khan again, but we also go to the surface, see a Dark One up close, and get capture by Nazis...again. I guess with a longer game and no need to have the world be eased into, things can just ramp up to eleven right away. I guess I kind of like it like this. Though that being said, the pacing in the first game could go by pretty quickly too. While I don't remember every last detail, I much prefer the story of this game over the Metro 2034 novel which just felt like a lame duck in comparison to the first book. I really like how the surface in this game looks in comparison to Metro 2033 Redux, like this first area alone looks a lot better than in the previous game. I realize that post-apocalyptic cities aren't really all that colorful or pretty, but it's still nice to see some colors aside from grey and white.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 2 - Nazi Shenanigans

Clearly I am not as good at stealth as I thought I was. I truly was attempting to get through the whole level undetected, minus those sneak kills right after Pavel got captured and that guy at the locker. There was probably some alternate path I missed or whatever. Still, that sequence where I just had to stab five guys in the face in a row was something I found absurdly hilarious. Also I really like traveling with Pavel over pretty much anyone else in the series save for Kahn. I find his dialogue humorous and he's just overall a swell guy. Finally got to some real paranormal stuff with that plane crash, complete with a well-done sequence of the crash right from the view of the cockpit. Getting a lot of the moral points is a bit questionable, such as watching one guy beat the poo poo out of another and calling him mom a whore. Exploring small, hidden paths also get you moral points which is also odd. I recall the wiki explaining it as Artyom getting to know the Metro better...I don't really get it, but the points are easy to get so I won't complain.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 3 - Betrayal

Okay maybe Pavel isn't all that swell. He was pretty amusing when he was traveling with me so he still gets a pass. Whole lot of listening to people and watching shows in this episode, and it really annoys me how a lot of them don't have subtitles. It makes it worse because some of them do and it's almost random. Not only just because I can't talk over it without anyone watching being unable to understand it, but even as I play I have a hard time making out just what the gently caress these people are saying. A lot of the time they just talk way too quietly for me to understand a word. It's even worse because you need to sit and listen to this poo poo to help get the good ending, not that anyone on the internet seems to know how many Moral Points you need to get it.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 4 - Regina

I gotta say, going around the Metro in a souped-up armored car with a ton of light bulbs is actually kind of cool. It was also pretty nice to give the player the option to explore a bunch of side areas during such a brief part of the game, including one full of ghosts. I always enjoy seeing the spookier, paranormal side of Metro 2033's world more than the mutants or political stuff honestly. I feel like it's really unique in the genre of post-apocalyptic games, which pretty much all focus on mutants and bandits or raiders of some kind it seems. The part with the Watchers attacking the car can gently caress right off though, that was awful. The boat part wasn't too bad though, especially since it seemed like the Shrimps were thwarted easier, weren't as fast, and I had someone to help fight them off. I also find it strange how the main part of a bandit camp is totally optional. Like you don't have to save those hostages or even encounter them. I get it's for the whole moral point thing, but still.

Speaking of mortal points, I find it strange how few negative moral points you can get. It doesn't work like in a typical game where you have a good or bad option. With Metro 2033, it's mostly either getting the moral point or just...not. Most positive actions don't have a negative counterpart. Most games with a morality system have it done that way, so having a game that tosses that aside is strange to me.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 5 - The Swamp and Catacombs

Glitches sure can be funny to look back on, even when they're all sorts of frustrating as they happen. I don't remember the game being this buggy, at least the Steam version that I usually play. Hell, I run into another obnoxious glitch in the next episode as well that forces me to reload a checkpoint. I'll just go ahead and be thankful that checkpoints happen every two minutes. That aside, it's nice to actually fight some unique, tougher-than-average mutant monsters as bosses here. That was something really lacking in the first game, the only thing close to it being the weird Biomass underneath D6. Even then, that thing was never fought, just kind of...dealt with. I forgot how lonely the game can be with no companion of any kind with you. I really got spoiled with Pavel, I guess. He may be a traitor and an all-around dick, but I miss traveling with him. It's also good that the plot is really gonna pick up soon, things felt like a wild goose chase for way too long, and next episode that finally changes.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 6 - Finding The Dark One

About drat time that Dark One child appeared again. A part of me kind of forgot this was what the whole game was about, despite the kid being mentioned quite a number of times since he got captured and Artyom saving him. Traveling with the Dark One is actually kind of an interesting experience. While it doesn't come into play too much yet, him observing Artyom as he makes moral choices and commenting on them is a nice idea. It also really helps in knowing what to do in order to get or lose moral points which is extra helpful. Also the kid seems pretty chill when dealing with the guy that killed his entire family and race of people, but I guess the Dark One is supposed to be above those sorts of human emotions and reactions or something along those lines. At least that's what I got out of it. And surprisingly enough the next episode's the finale. I was expecting to get another video or two out this game since it feels so much longer than the first one. I guess I just remembered it being a lot longer than it really was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 7 - Redemption

And so the finale is here...again. Except this one's with a bit of a happier ending than the first game so there's that. Overall a much better finale, ending in that huge battle for the Metro's future. In the first game it was just climbing a tower, fending off a Demon, and walking through a bunch of stone hallways while the Dark Ones whisper the same five phrases into your head over and over and over again. That being said, the little "Where are they now" segment was so short and half the important characters in the game don't get included. Like Anna for instance only gets mentioned or seen at all in the bad ending. Either way, I like this game more than the first. Felt like there were more variation with levels, the stealth options were nice, more chances to choose if Artyom would play things nice or more morally questionable. I'm really looking forward to Exodus and whatever odd new material it's going to bring to the table. I just hope they fix the morality system so that the player has at least some vague idea of how close or far they are to the ending they want. That was my biggest gripe playing through Last Light, not knowing if I was going to get the good ending until literally the very last second.