Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifisto

in light of the overwhelming* response to last year's contest, on top of an amazing first season, it seems superfluous to hold a competition this year. how can one top perfection? and yet, as halloween approaches, maybe you will feel like making something edible and/or drinkable appropriate to the holiday. if you're so inspired, why not post it here? if there are really good entries, who knows, maybe somebody will award a prize (hint to the mods/admins to hand out free prizes since it is highly unlikely that I will be handing any out).

for what it's worth, the ground rules the past couple of years have been:

quote:

Make something edible or drinkable that is in some sense "tricky." What that might mean is up to you--it could be a special secret ingredient, it could be food that looks like one thing and tastes like another, it could be simply spookily decorative. The basic rule is that it must be actually edible/drinkable, and to prove it you must take at least a bite/sip of it yourself (trip reports optional but very welcome). Post photos, descriptions, even recipes if you feel like it.

by the way, in case anyone failed to pick up on it last year, I was trying (and more or less failed) to make the filling in the middle of the cake look like a dick. that was it, that was the trick. lol.

anyway, good tricky treating everyone, even if you don't make something I hope you get to partake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

further on this topic, I thought these babies looked pretty rad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xko6V36TMtk

would I actually make them? I dunno man, that looks like a lot of work. but, you never know . . .

ty nesamdoom!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Thabks, Manifisto.

Maybe I will actually do this this year.

In fact, this seems like a great excuse to visit my grandma the baker, and ask if she has any ideas. I should probably be visiting her more often anyways.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Robot Made of Meat

blaise rascal posted:

Thabks, Manifisto.

Maybe I will actually do this this year.

In fact, this seems like a great excuse to visit my grandma the baker, and ask if she has any ideas. I should probably be visiting her more often anyways.

You never need an excuse to visit Grandma, but it's still a good one!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

alnilam

Plant MONSTER. posted:

pikachu pasta

Tane

Imdumb.txt

Manifisto

so to get things rolling, I made some pumpkin spice snickerdoodles.

recipe courtesy of chef john from food wishes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF7p8qg4Q8Q

link to his web site which has the ingredient amounts:

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2016/10/pumpkin-spice-snickerdoodles-better.html

I gussied them up very slightly with some orange sugar and some pepitas, but other than that, I followed the recipe as given (without the glaze).

I thought about buying some orange-colored sugar but thought to myself "how hard can it be to make colored sugar?" as it turns out, not hard at all. take sugar, add a few drops of food coloring, mix: voila, colored sugar.

trip report: they're snickerdoodles. they're delicious, duh.

ty nesamdoom!

WindmillSlayer

eat my rear end, lol

blaise rascal

My entry will be these almost-too-cute-to-eat pumpkin corn muffins topped with chia seeds:

The muffins are a suitable side dish for some black bean and squash chili:

Seeing it all laid out hopefully makes clear the orange-and-black gimmick:

The muffins were very tasty. The canned pumpkin complimented the standard corn muffin taste & texture. I also really liked the chia seeds, and next time I make these, I might mix some seeds into the batter in addition to using them as a topping.

The chili was pretty good as well. I think it would have been better to chop the onion smaller and also to use crushed tomatoes instead of whole tomatoes, all in order to make the black and orange ingredients more dominant.

The recipes were inspired from Party Vegan by Robin Robertson.

Manifisto

:eyepop: that looks delicious! are the muffins on the sweeter or more savory side? I could see both being good at different times of the day. maybe they'd also be good with something hidden in the center, like (for the sweet kind) a chunk of soft/melted chocolate, or (for the savory kind) some tangy/salty cheese.

ty nesamdoom!

blaise rascal

Manifisto posted:

:eyepop: that looks delicious! are the muffins on the sweeter or more savory side? I could see both being good at different times of the day. maybe they'd also be good with something hidden in the center, like (for the sweet kind) a chunk of soft/melted chocolate, or (for the savory kind) some tangy/salty cheese.
I'd say they are both sweet and savory, perhaps a little more on the savory side. To me, cornbread is one of those food items that can get away with being both sweet and savory at the same time. For reference, I used 1/4 cup sugar, 1&1/4 cups flour, 1&1/4 cups pumpkin, 1/2 cup soymilk, 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup cornmeal, and a little salt & baking powder.

Your ideas for mix ins are good! The cookbook recipe actually recommended mixing canned green chiles (hot or mild) and pumpkin seeds into the batter, as well as using black sesame seeds as the topping, so those may be good options. I used the chia seeds I had on hand, and skipped the mix ins.

The author of this recipe has published several different muffin & corn muffin recipes in her cookbooks, and they are all very good.

Manifisto

I just learned that many grocery stores sell dry ice. you just need to ask (and have the appropriate container naturally). mind=blown, I always assumed you needed to go to some specialty industrial supply house or something

so there go your excuses for not making spooky smoking halloween drinks, people

ty nesamdoom!

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I want to make funy scary food but all I have is meat

Manifisto

Putty posted:

I want to make funy scary food but all I have is meat

well then knife to meat you

blaise rascal

Oh, I forgot to mention: the pumpkin seeds you mix into the muffins should be chopped up really tiny. Otherwise it's a choking hazard!

Robot Made of Meat

blaise rascal posted:

Oh, I forgot to mention: the pumpkin seeds you mix into the muffins should be chopped up really tiny. Otherwise it's a choking hazard!

That's the tricky part!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

alnilam

Robot Made of Meat posted:

That's the tricky part!

My friend: *gesturing wildly for help*

Me: haha get it? Happy halloween!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluffieDuckie

alnilam posted:

My friend: *gesturing wildly for help*