Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I'm about to start a robotics project based around the Jetson Xavier, and I'll need to plug a number of USB devices into it (the Xavier has an x8 PCIe slot). Does there exist a PCIe expansion card which:

a. Offers full compatibility with Ubuntu 18.04

b. Doesn't require a separate power connection if you aren't plugging high-power devices into it (seriously, WTF is up with that - I thought the PCIe standard was supposed to support something like 75W of power through the card)

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I can't offer specific recommendations but I'm pretty sure that USB controllers all follow the same standard so they don't require specific drivers, the OS should instead have a generic driver that should work with any compliant controller.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cockmaster posted:

I'm about to start a robotics project based around the Jetson Xavier, and I'll need to plug a number of USB devices into it (the Xavier has an x8 PCIe slot). Does there exist a PCIe expansion card which:

a. Offers full compatibility with Ubuntu 18.04

b. Doesn't require a separate power connection if you aren't plugging high-power devices into it (seriously, WTF is up with that - I thought the PCIe standard was supposed to support something like 75W of power through the card)

Thank you.

Are they USB cameras? How much actual bandwidth do you need from the devices / your USB ports?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

movax posted:

Are they USB cameras? How much actual bandwidth do you need from the devices / your USB ports?

Yeah, they're depth cameras. I'm not sure exactly how much bandwidth each one uses, but it's probably a lot.

Edit: For one in particular (The Zed from Stereo Labs), the manufacturer explicitly advises against plugging it into a USB hub.

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 26, 2018

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015CQ8DCS

This card has four separate USB 3.0 controllers connected to an on-board PCIe switch, so each port has the full bandwidth available. It also says it's Linux compatible.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Oculus's head tracking system uses a type of camera that should be similar to what you're using and their support specifically recommends cards based on the Fresco Logic FL1100EX chipset. That support article links to this particular card, though it doesn't meet your "no additional power connector" requirement.

(As an aside, just checking the PCIe spec it looks like the reason most cards require an external power connector is because the PCIe slot only supplies 12v and 3.3v with no direct 5v power, so the cards without an external power connector would need an onboard 12v to 5v voltage converter which probably adds more cost than a simple Molex or SATA power connector.)

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

SamDabbers posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015CQ8DCS

This card has four separate USB 3.0 controllers connected to an on-board PCIe switch, so each port has the full bandwidth available. It also says it's Linux compatible.

Thank you, that looks good.

• Locked thread