Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

RIP Trion/Rift. You were fun for a week at launch, sort of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Rift used to be one of my favorite MMO's until the AH change debacle.

See, Rift (like other MSW-approved-MMO EQ2) had these random collectibles that you could find on the ground in every zone that players referred to as "Shinies." A complete set of shinies (common, rare, etc) could be turned in for cosmetic rewards and XP. People would use these to powerlevel alts, so they were always in demand. Rare shinies, even from the low level zones, could go for hundreds of plat. That was enough to buy a $15 PLEX equivalent on the auction house.

This covered a lot of the Rift F2P store's sins. Sure, maybe the costs seemed bad - but if you didn't want to pay, it really was enough to collect enough shinies to get a REX in a week. Maybe they put raid equipment in the store - but that's just a week of literally picking up stuff off the ground, anyone can do it! They even used this as a selling point for unpopular changes.

In a seemingly unrelated problem, the Rift servers could not handle holidays. There would be constant disconnects, server crashes, lag problems, etc. It didn't matter what the holiday was. Being unable to complete holiday events because of server issues annoyed people, so Trion promised to investigate.

They eventually found the problem. Holiday events were usually tied to seasonal shiny collections. The thing that was killing the servers was the number of players buying and selling shinies. The server crashes were happening because the shiny trade was too popular. In order to combat that, Trion decided to make a few changes.

First, they made the deposit for shinies scale based on list price. Most MMOs do that, but Rift did it punitively to stop people from selling the shinies. This didn't effect the people who already made a lot of plat, but the people who didn't have a lot of plat already couldn't eat the 2-3 weeks worth of deposit losses while waiting for a sell. So the REX trade ended up becoming restricted to high level raiding guilds who could run raids they didn't need for plat every week.

Second, they added the ability to directly buy collection items from the collection tab. If there was a rare shiny you needed to finish a set, you could just click the button and buy it, no auctions involved.

This is when they actually started seeing their player base revolt, because decisions that were just annoying before suddenly became real. "We're going to charge for an earring slot, but don't worry, you can buy it with REX" is something you can deal with when you actually can get REX and buy it. If it becomes impossible for you to earn enough plat to buy a REX, that excuse starts looking pretty dire.

Edit: My last post about the Patron changes is kinda illustrative of this. In the full post, one of their justifications for removing features from F2P players and putting it behind Patron was "you can buy Patron for in-game currency." By that point, buying Patron with in-game currency was out of reach for everyone but like 30 people per server.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 1, 2018

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Trion was pretty heavily tied up in VC funding, they even went through a third and final round of funding not long after launching Rift to raise a pretty substantial chunk of change. Declining revenue and a change in management brought with it a pretty drastic change in how Trion treated its customers and managed its products. Games like Defiance were ahead of their time and should have had a dedicated following got very little marketing and were pretty badly mismanaged. The company basically got pillaged by the VCs and what happened is probably a pretty good example of how corporate greed and an emphasis on short term profits can really gently caress things up.

Lol @ defiance being ahead of its time. C’mon man, don’t do that to yourself.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
archeage was very good until it went pay to win

then it turned to poo poo very fast and then someone did something bad

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Archeage was very good in alpha 1.0 then went to poo poo after the first patch.

Then it went and jumped on the human effluent slip and slide.

Remember how we all paid... I think was a hundred bucks to play the alpha? Those are some good bad with money memories.

Also the fishing boat drama that was basically the end of coordinated goon play in subsequent MMO launches. :v:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 1, 2018

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Pretty sure that's just because people were so burned out by that piece of poo poo that not many were even willing to get into another MMO at all. The fishing pact was the best though and it didn't even happen in America.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Lol @ defiance being ahead of its time. C’mon man, don’t do that to yourself.

It was effectively a bunch of Rift mechanics; the drop in events actually being pretty good, but the whole game was _tangental_ to the TV series, which was just beginning to hit it's stride, despite have one of the worst lead characters.

It was entirely of it's time, not ahead.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
It was a third person Destiny style shooter a year before Destiny released. It definitely should have been able to at least find itself a solid albeit smaller player base.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
An MMO shooter with WAR-style public quests, dynamic scaling, and vehicles. Yet they hosed it up!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Destiny 2 might finally be good after three expansions but they kinda burned through all their goodwill after duping me into paying for the first two wet farts, so bad developers. No more money.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Schubalts posted:

An MMO shooter with WAR-style public quests, dynamic scaling, and vehicles. Yet they hosed it up!

The shooting and vehicles were total poo poo though. It wasn’t even like the ideas they had on paper were that good.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
About the time the Defiance MMO was being shown off, I read that Trion had plans to essentially mass-produce MMO tie-ins to lovely Syfy original series.

I just kind of looked at that and wondered who on Earth they duped into believing it was a good idea.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Why did they buy Gazillion's garbage a few months ago if they were in that much poo poo? :psyduck:

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Bieeanshee posted:

About the time the Defiance MMO was being shown off, I read that Trion had plans to essentially mass-produce MMO tie-ins to lovely Syfy original series.

I just kind of looked at that and wondered who on Earth they duped into believing it was a good idea.

as a sad child, i really wanted to play defiance, only to realize how dumb it all was. seriously trion sucks sometimes.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Bombogenesis posted:

Why did they buy Gazillion's garbage a few months ago if they were in that much poo poo? :psyduck:

If they were lousy with VC parasites it makes sense, it's VC 101. Buy up a load of bullshit on someone else's borrowed money, pay your stockholders a dividend and give your executives a bonus, then flip it and bail before the company you bought out collapses under an avalanche of debt you hoisted upon them.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

gently caress em.

Also I can't wait to see Funcom burn as well for being just like them. If it wasn't for Joel Bylos that company would already be dead.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
We're not in Azeroth anymore, boys. We are in fact homeless because we lost our jobs. Please help.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Drinkfist posted:

gently caress em.

Also I can't wait to see Funcom burn as well for being just like them. If it wasn't for Joel Bylos that company would already be dead.

Funcom is about to birth two more Conan games and has an unannounced MMORPG in the works. They just simply refuse to die and I don't understand how.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Givin posted:

Funcom is about to birth two more Conan games and has an unannounced MMORPG in the works. They just simply refuse to die and I don't understand how.

Funcom seems to be the only game in the business that learned to scale their studio(s) as their projects require it. AO and AoC are effectively on maintenance but they've gotten pretty good at making little tweaks and additions that keep the couple hundred thousand people they've got across both games happy and playing with only a handful of devs. The Secret World relaunch is doing fairly well for them, despite it still being garbage and Conan Exiles did absolute gangbusters for them by being one of the only decently polished games in that genre (good is a different issue.)

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 19, 2018

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
RIP RIFT I guess.

I enjoyed the hell out of it the brief time I played it at launch, and even came back for a month when Storm Legion launched, but stopped because none of my friends would quit WoW long enough to try it. I suppose that turned out to be a good thing since I only have pleasant memories of the game.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
RIFT back during the beta was loving boss.

The NPC's could actually take over the zone by invading it. Then some moron thought that actually being able to have the first ever warzone in a MMO that's all about the world essentially being at war was stupid and they were altered to become the ineffectual loot pinatas they are today.

People actually bought it off of what they were showing off back then and were disappointed that someone in the company was laser focused on being a "WoW killer" and not actually going with their strengths.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 25, 2018

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
RIFT is the only MMO I've pre-ordered. I wish I'd got a bit further in the beta than I did, because it really kind of fizzled for me in the mid thirties. :(

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Good riddance I say. Let the Chinese have it.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I sort of blame RIFT with infecting me with the completionist disease that has ruined so many RPGs for me, singleplayer included. Those shinies you could collect in each zone as part of a set, the riddle chests you could find and loot once per character per zone, the named mobs that checked off a box in the acheivement tracker... That poo poo is just irresistible to me. I would spend days wandering around the starter zone, looking for nameds I didn't care about, collecting shinies while hoping for the rare one I needed, never really progressing my character or the story. And then, getting bored as poo poo and quitting the game, because I could not mentally get past the idea of not completing the checklist before moving to another area.

And here I am today, a ruined man who can't complete Witcher 3 despite everything about that game being extremely My poo poo. I want to know what happens to Geralt, but then the idea of investigating another pointless ? on the map for loot I never need anyway just wilts my interest...

Gah, gently caress you RIFT

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Annath posted:

RIP RIFT I guess.

I enjoyed the hell out of it the brief time I played it at launch, and even came back for a month when Storm Legion launched, but stopped because none of my friends would quit WoW long enough to try it. I suppose that turned out to be a good thing since I only have pleasant memories of the game.

RIFT raiding up until storm legion is still the absolute peak of theme park MMO group content. its never been topped and I suspect it never will be, it was just so much fun and so well constructed, especially the second-tier dungeons like the one with the giant glittering scorpions or the underground death worm

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Frog Act posted:

RIFT raiding up until storm legion is still the absolute peak of theme park MMO group content. its never been topped and I suspect it never will be, it was just so much fun and so well constructed, especially the second-tier dungeons like the one with the giant glittering scorpions or the underground death worm

wait what, I did Infernal Dawn and it was extremely Not Good, "never been topped" made me bust out laughing

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah I had fun doing akylios or w/e but those actual fights were not incredibly designed or intricate, ffxiv is doing way better poo poo

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Tsurupettan posted:

remember when rift came out and we all (myself included) heralded trion as a great company that was saving the industry and revolutionizing customer service? what happened along the way lmao

Maybe the world really did end in 2012 and we are all in hell.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
They thing I remember most about Rift from playing the free beta for two hours is how they completely ripped off the UI from WoW. I mean it was literally copy and pasted into the game. I think the only thing missing was the two dragons on the far sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
lol get hosed Trion

But also thank you for giving us Archeage because shattered fishing pacts and pedophiles was probably the best and gooniest MMO drama I've ever seen.