Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've really been getting nostalgic for Guild Wars the past few days and its made me wonder why nobody ever ran with the ideas it incorporated. From what I understand even the loving sequel ditched a lot of what made the first game unique in favor of more traditional MMO content.

I wanna play a game where I get to design a character, but also get to tactically manage an adventuring party to go along with them. And when I wanna play with other people, I have the option of teaming up with them instead. I really enjoyed that aspect of Guild Wars. I never fully appreciated it until I got older and realized that every other MMO I tried was just mindless grinding against monsters in 1v1s outside of group content.

Are there any MMOs like that now? Games that force group content but let you team up with controlled AI so you aren't screwed when nobody is around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

jokes posted:

This is the FFXIV roulette system. There are 8-man "raids" or whatever, usually they're just the bosses themselves. The content itself doesn't get rendered obsolete for a number of reasons: you get tokens for end-game poo poo if you do it at end-game level, but more likely than not you have other jobs that aren't at max level you should level up by doing the content. Then they have wondrous tails which is like a bingo card of sorts but for completing random content, like specific dungeons from specific sets, things like that. A lot of the dungeons/raids have a good amount ofexclusive glamours that give you incentive to do certain dungeons over and over.

And if you hate other players you can do a whole mess of dungeons with an AI party to skip the dungeon finder queues.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I think Dragons Dogma Online lets you do that with the Pawn system (you get 3 of them) but I never got far enough to test it out. You also have to go through the hassle of the VPN and dealing with user created translation.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I've seen FFXIV. Its loving 60 levels of mindless grinding to get to the content people actually care about. Its the exact opposite of what I want.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Squadrons are not anything close to how gw1 worked.

Also why do you want to play an mmo whose sole feature you seem to care about is not playing with other people.

Play a regular rear end single player rpg, there’s lots of good ones to choose from, and then go play a multiplayer game when you feel like playing with other people.

Also ffxiv isn’t mindless grinding, it’s playing through the story. If you’re don’t give a poo poo about the story there is zero reason to play it, but don’t mischaracterize it.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

People who want story can play a proper story-based game instead of one littered with 100 hours of mediocre mmo questing, xp gaps and mandatory group instances.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Honestly this is kind of how ffxi works now. You do most content with a little squad you control. It's pretty laid back but very grind focused. Something about that old mmo feeling is kind of relaxing though, it's not very fast paced combat.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Squadrons are not anything close to how gw1 worked.

Also why do you want to play an mmo whose sole feature you seem to care about is not playing with other people.

Play a regular rear end single player rpg, there’s lots of good ones to choose from, and then go play a multiplayer game when you feel like playing with other people.

Also ffxiv isn’t mindless grinding, it’s playing through the story. If you’re don’t give a poo poo about the story there is zero reason to play it, but don’t mischaracterize it.

I want play an MMO where I have the option to play with other people when I want too but have my own little group of party members I can customize and direct when I don't. I don't think its such a crazy concept.

Also don't tell me that FFXIV doesn't have some crummy grinding in it. I watched a guy streaming it go crazy doing all the boring midgame stuff. If that part of the game was worth playing you wouldn't have the option to pay extra money to skip it. People say all the expansion stuff is really good but there's a huge midgame lump you have to crawl through to get to it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 26, 2018

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Internet Kraken posted:

I want play an MMO where I have the option to play with other people when I want too but have my own little group of party members I can customize and direct when I don't. I don't think its such a crazy concept.

Also don't tell me that FFXIV doesn't have some crummy grinding in it. I watched a guy streaming it go crazy doing all the boring midgame stuff. If that part of the game was worth playing you wouldn't have the option to pay extra money to skip it. People say all the expansion stuff is really good but there's a huge midgame lump you have to crawl through to get to it.

I don't have some great suggestion but I too am curious if there is something like this and fully agree with you OP. You are not alone.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Guild Wars 1 is online and still rules you know. I think they even do balance patches here and there.

That being said, I also really like the idea of building up a party and doing a series of dungeons that level your dudes up and give them more gear. The MMO part doesn't lend itself to henchmen systems very well, but sometimes it is implemented well. You have a better time playing single-player game where you develop your boiz.

Games I play/played that are good for dungeon-running with an AI-designed party:

Dragon's Dogma (single player)
Pillars of Eternity 1/2 (2 is way better) (single player)
Dragon Age: Inquisition (Multiplayer, but you don't design your character really)
Dragon Age: Origins
Divinity: Original Sin 1/2 (2 is way better) (co-op)
FFXV (single player)
FFXI (this is one hell of a rabbit hole though) (MMO)

Honorable mentions that I don't know anything about but are supposed to be party-based dungeon runners:
Dungeon Siege series
Pathfinder: Kingmaker or whatever

Honestly I just play GW1 from time to time. I'll blow through an area before I get burnt out or whatever, and then pick it up again a couple months later. I dropped like $20 or so on mercenary hero slots (which are heroes you make yourself) that I can dress-up and control to a far more granular degree than regular heroes. There's just not many options quite like it, and when a game dev company makes a game that's party-based they also include companions and an overarching story and that makes the games even way more hit-or-miss, as you get characters that really bring a game down. Or the story brings it down.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I didn't know the mercenary thing even existed. There's a lot about GW1 I really didn't appreciate as a kid but I'd be totally into it now.

I might just have to reinstall it at some point if I can figure out my old account. I just know I'll end up longing for the days when it was populated thoguh. Even if I play alone most of the time it was fun to break it up with some PvP or missions with totally random people. One of my favorite things to do was the Factions mission that paired up two teams from two different outposts. If you got a full group of players it was a chaotic clusterfuck of idiots running around trying to kill/being killed by zombies. I loved it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

It's mega spergy to set up, but it's possible to play Diablo 2:LOD multi-boxing using bots to play alt accounts. They follow you around obeying your commands.

This is basically the experience you are after. It's obscenely good fun.

• Locked thread