Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

CBJSprague24 posted:

How in the hell did this season get "generally favorable reviews"? It's probably the worst season of TV I've ever endured (congrats, Justified S5, you're off the hook).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Cards_(season_6)#Reception

Scanning through Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, most of the positive reviews are pretty middling and focus on Robin Wright's performance over the plot which, if you can manage, I suppose that's fair. Wright does turn in a pretty admirable performance despite the show falling apart around her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I endured it just for Robin Wright, she's doing great considering how badly her character was written. Season 1 showed you how Underwood was ruthless, season 6 had to tell you how Underwood was ruthless.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CBJSprague24 posted:

How in the hell did this season get "generally favorable reviews"?

Because 'It's her turn' and most of the outlets couldn't bring themselves to truly poo poo talk a show depicting a female president doing hot button political things, to the point they couldn't even remember she was, you know, one of the major villains of the show. Before anyone jumps down my throat trying to insist that's not the reason, here read some of these headlines from the positive reviews:

quote:

'Wright's performance reflects all of his cynicism, calculation and deep, unhealed wounds that powered his engine, and now hers as a President who pledges allegiance only to herself and her gender.'

'Claire's turn and she makes it count.'

'The self-serious drama hasn't just morphed into a Ryan Murphy fantasy sequence; it appears to have thought more holistically about what promoting women should actually look like.'

'The one story line that towers over all others is the one about gender with Claire Underwood as president of the United States.. '

AKA "We don't care if she's the villain or if the show sucks dog poo poo, it's got a female president and by God we're going to give that a good review." Modern media reviews really are just about how political you are and not the quality of the product.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 18, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What was the bed Jane Davis crawls into before she dies? Did she rent the spaceship from 2010? I've never seen a pod seemingly carved out of the wall like that in a house or apartment.

mobby_6kl posted:

You must've been really sheltered if you think S5 of Justified was the worst season of anything, except perhaps Justified seasons.

Admittedly, I am- there haven't been that many series I've really gotten into in the last few years which I've watched all the way through/am working all the way through and it was the "least favorite" season among comparable shows (The Shield, Justified, The Americans, Southland, The Wire (which I've only discovered in the last year), Fargo, Luther, Atlanta, The Bridge, Better Call Saul) until you get to this mess.

Justified was fantastic enough that S5 was redeemed a bit in the end as being the setup for the run to finish with Sam Elliott, Mary Steenburgen, and The Goonslinger.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

CBJSprague24 posted:

What was the bed Jane Davis crawls into before she dies? Did she rent the spaceship from 2010? I've never seen a pod seemingly carved out of the wall like that in a house or apartment.

I don't think it was ever specifically explained but my take is that it was some kind of custom-built meditation chamber.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I had a lot more typed up that I wanted to say about how pretty terrible this season was but my computer destroyed what I was typing. I think a lot of the badness of this last season was due to having to rework most of the plot since they couldn't use Spacey but there was still so much that didn't make sense at all.

Like, what was up with the app that the Shepherds were using to spy on people? Seth is shown trying to get people to sign up for the app and it specifically showed him encouraging a man to just click "accept" without reading the fine print. To me, this implies that in the fine print it says that the app will use their personal data but you really have to be looking for it to realize it. But then a major plot point later in the season is that the app is doing stuff illegally and a bunch of other politicians are using the app to spy which allows Claire to do whatever she wants and refusing to bow to Congress because she claims they are corrupt. So if they were planning to do illegal stuff with the app anyway, what was the point of trying to pressure people to accept the terms of service?
The real dumb part of this subplot is the fact that they already had a magic algorithm that Frank and Claire used to win the election, which magically disappeared and was never mentioned again. The way that this plot should have worked was that Frank and Claire use their algorithm to (illegally) sway public opinion to win the election. Then, once they were done using it they should have leaked info about how to use the algorithm to their political enemies (including the Shepherds) and as soon as they try to use it, or at a time that is most convenient The Underwoods expose them. It has the goal of calling back something from a previous season and would have actually shown Frank and/or Claire actually plotting to take out their opponents who are actually brought down by their own hubris and inability to stay away from an illegal method of manipulating the public.

But instead we got treated to Seth moping around while the Shepherds yell "Just make sure they download the app!" for half of the season, then it becomes Claire's do-whatever-I-want excuse that she didn't even have any part of creating.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Vs what they actually did, doing literally anything else would have been better

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Federalist Pig is indeed pretty good barbecue

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZveA-NAIDI

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

:yikes:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
http://twitter.com/Variety/status/1077293777541361664

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Welp I never expected that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I would buy a seventh season that was just 12 hours of repeated footage of Spacey’s lawyer seeing that video for the first time.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Jerusalem posted:

I would buy a seventh season that was just 12 hours of repeated footage of Spacey’s lawyer seeing that video for the first time.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Does this not open him up to serious lawsuits by Netflix?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm not sure why it would. He's just saying threatening, vague, and well-crafted things in a southern accent. You can't exactly slap a trademark on that.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Titling the video after the character, using his accent, referencing the death of the character, breaking fourth wall, and putting on the characters ring all seem to show that he's obviously referencing House of Cards. But I guess parodies aren't illegal so maybe it's fine? I dunno, I thought continuing to put out videos in the style of a tv show you were fired from would be illegal in some way. If you even check the YouTube comments some dumb people are confused and think it's some kind of Netflix comeback video explaining that he'll be in a new season of HoC. At the least it puts out a confusing message, can't see why there wouldn't be some legal action coming from Netflix.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I mean, I'm sure he's blackballed as hell from Hollywood already, but doing this kind of crazy poo poo just pushes him out of acting gigs even more.

That said, based on how I've seen Hollywood work in the past I expect he will get offers to be a minor player in movies in 10 years or less if he's not convicted of anything, and 15 years or so if he is.

This is some surreal stuff though. I I were Netflix I wouldn't bother going after Spacey, do a brief press statement at the most reiterating that you have no ties to him. It does more damage to your brand to keep being in the news related to him than whatever money you could possibly get would be worth. Maybe try to get a cease and desist on him if he keeps putting videos like that out, at the most.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Let him be Frank :kiddo:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Jerusalem posted:

There's a video of a Trump official reacting to The Wrestling Tweet. It's basically that.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ornithology posted:

Titling the video after the character, using his accent, referencing the death of the character, breaking fourth wall, and putting on the characters ring all seem to show that he's obviously referencing House of Cards. But I guess parodies aren't illegal so maybe it's fine? I dunno, I thought continuing to put out videos in the style of a tv show you were fired from would be illegal in some way. If you even check the YouTube comments some dumb people are confused and think it's some kind of Netflix comeback video explaining that he'll be in a new season of HoC. At the least it puts out a confusing message, can't see why there wouldn't be some legal action coming from Netflix.

If I Did It by Kevin Spacey.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NowonSA posted:

I I were Netflix I wouldn't bother going after Spacey,

If I were Netflix I'd make a response video in the same style to call him a piece of delusional poo poo

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just allowing the video to exist with no take-down attempt is the best troll they could do right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Khablam posted:

Just allowing the video to exist with no take-down attempt is the best troll they could do right now.

It’s a troll on the audience since that video is better than anything in the last season