Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've been seeing a bunch of these at bookstores for various series: Mario, Zelda, a bunch of Final Fantasy ones and an MGS one, among others. They're always sealed in plastic. Has anyone here bought one or had a chance to look through it? Are they any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
depends on who did the art for the game, dont u think? most of them get scanned or the art in them is already all over the internet anyway so theyre just collectors items

https://imgur.com/a/B5KEA heres a ton of kazuma kaneko demon designs from his very expensive art book series for example

you can also find every single piece of final fantasy concept art for every game and spinoff on the final fantasy wiki

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

depends on who did the art for the game, dont u think? most of them get scanned or the art in them is already all over the internet anyway so theyre just collectors items

https://imgur.com/a/B5KEA heres a ton of kazuma kaneko demon designs from his very expensive art book series for example

you can also find every single piece of final fantasy concept art for every game and spinoff on the final fantasy wiki
This is what I was figuring but wasn't sure if they had extra stuff of interest or w/e

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is what I was figuring but wasn't sure if they had extra stuff of interest or w/e

some have developer or artist interviews and things like that. but they get translated and posted online too .. thank u based otakus.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Lol at how theyre sealed in plastic like yeah i saw all the art, no need to buy it now

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

Lol at how theyre sealed in plastic like yeah i saw all the art, no need to buy it now
Once you find out what Mario looks like, what's the point?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I have some. MGS2/3/PW, MGSV, Persona 5, Titanfall 1 and 2 and my personal favorite, Art of Atari. It makes sense that publishers would move to art books since strategy guides are basically obsolete at this point

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

some have developer or artist interviews and things like that. but they get translated and posted online too .. thank u based otakus.

There was a big book of interviews with almost everyone at Infinity Ward that they released alongside Infinite Warfare a couple of years ago, which I don’t think they’ve done for any other CoD game. I would have really liked one for Black Ops 1/2.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the dark souls design works books are pretty awesome, but i think more collectors items than anything since you can just look at scans if you really only care about the content

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Dark horse comics seems to have purchased the rights for the distribution of a lot of these art books in the west recently as most of them have been out in Japan for a while, sometimes years. They are usually pretty good. I have a Japanese nier automata art book and basic guide that is really cool and is getting an English release through dark horse next year.

The Zelda breath of the wild design works is also coming soon and will be pretty cool. Most of the stuff is available online for all these books but it’s kinda nice to look at art this way and they make nice coffee table books

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I own the sole-produced copy of Synthy (Daikatana Ritsu) Maurice Perez's certified "Classic Games In Hyper-Realistic Horror Style" art book and it was absolutely worth the price tag for exclusive access to the awesome traditional media prints.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i got one with persona 4 because wherever i ordered it from had it bundled with the game for free

it was exactly what you would expect, would recommend it to anyone who wants to have a book with a bunch of pictures of the main cast + their personas

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

My snes came with a book called “Mario mania” that was made by the Nintendo power people. It was a walk through of SMW combined with Mario development history, art and interview. it is still good as gently caress, I found it at my parents earlier this year and am so grateful it didn’t get lost/trashed

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mario Mania kicks rear end

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Mario Mania kicks rear end
My brother broke his leg during a Mario manic episode.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

my morning jackass posted:

My snes came with a book called “Mario mania” that was made by the Nintendo power people. It was a walk through of SMW combined with Mario development history, art and interview. it is still good as gently caress, I found it at my parents earlier this year and am so grateful it didn’t get lost/trashed

it came out in 1991. some real teases in there.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Nevermind the underlined part, the tidbit about the Koopa Kids' design in the next question is a nice tidbit.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ive always wanted to have my own copy of Der Mond: THe Art of Neon Genesis Evangelion but its so expensive.

edit: i guess i havent checked the price in like 10 years its only 15 bucks these days.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

ive always wanted to have my own copy of Der Mond: THe Art of Neon Genesis Evangelion but its so expensive.

edit: i guess i havent checked the price in like 10 years its only 15 bucks these days.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've never watched Evangelion

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Ive watched it

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

Ive watched it

I haven't but I want to.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I’ve the ones for Last of Us and Okami and they’re really neat. The Okami one also has a ton of notes by the designers and artists on individual character designs and choices etc.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

evangelion is Good.

i have the ff9 artbook still, and i fondly look over it from time to time. My current favorite is the secret 50ish page, all glossy-color REZ artbook that came with the collector's edition vinyl. it has weird stories about mizuguchi and his team dropping acid and going to burning man and stuff.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It’s sick

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

I.N.R.I posted:

Ive watched it

Me too

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i have a kinu nishimura artbook i bought in japan in a box i also have a copy of The Eyes of Bayonetta in tasteful hardbound coffee table size in a box. cheers

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Yoshitaka Amano "The Sky" artbooks of his Final Fantasy work are really good.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Man I love his stuff

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

the ff6 snes strategy guide i got with the game as a kid has a lot of Amano's illustrations and it's one of my favorite gaming books, despite it being so old and worn it's barely holding together. that combination of art and strategy guide was extremely ftw

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I think they are actually coming out with an amano compilation later this year.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Yoshitaka Amano "The Sky" artbooks of his Final Fantasy work are really good.

Oh I have that one too, and the Dark Souls Trilogy one that came with the DS3 CE.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Amano rules

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I recently received the breath of the wild master works localization and it’s insanely good. It’s very detailed and the concept art is so interesting, especially for the divine beasts. The interviews and development team commentary are really insightful and after looking through it I decided to play through the game again. Some of the lore history stuff is a little weak but it’s a fairly insignificant portion of the book.

I also was given the eyes of bayonetta as a gift and it’s very enjoyable. Fairly sparse on commentary or anything, but the art is great. Some of the concept pieces are fun because they kinda rethink bayonetta to better fit the theme of the costume.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I haven't but I want to.

watch it with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

not a videogame but D&D's Art & Arcana book showcases classic D&D art that inspired the whole genre. i love that retro, often tacky fantasy design that AD&D has. really want to get The Sky, I have an FF6 SNES guide that's fallen completely apart that I still look through and it's the first place I saw Amano's art as a kid. amazing work.