Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cyber Dog posted:

I think early WoW was legitimately good, but its pace appealed to me. I liked exploring poo poo and walking around while listening to music, while the amount of walking seems to be the biggest gripe most people have. I don't really play games anymore so this could be pure nostalgia.

Wow was amazing in the context of the time, which was that MMOs were garbage poo poo for idiots. Actually having a game that was kind of enjoyable to play while being an MMO was like a beam of light from the heavens. Also the griffin rides were fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

MMOs now mostly just consist of following a compass until you reach your objective and the combat is trivially easy to the pointbwhere you can just auto attack mobs to death if you want to.

I remember early WoW being somewhat difficult if you didnt pay attention and drew a bunch of mobs. You can just outright steamroll everything now.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Elderbean posted:

MMOs now mostly just consist of following a compass until you reach your objective and the combat is trivially easy to the pointbwhere you can just auto attack mobs to death if you want to.

I remember early WoW being somewhat difficult if you didnt pay attention and drew a bunch of mobs. You can just outright steamroll everything now.

(Frost) Mage could always do this.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

If anyone else is suicidally depressed and wants to get repeatedly kicked in the dick by an old MMO that I think has an extremely well realized world, NasomiFFXI has between 700-1600 players at all time and thus feels very close to a 2006 retail FFXI experience. I just unlocked my first advanced job on any character retail or private and I'm having fun with some other goons

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Frog Act posted:

If anyone else is suicidally depressed and wants to get repeatedly kicked in the dick by an old MMO that I think has an extremely well realized world, NasomiFFXI has between 700-1600 players at all time and thus feels very close to a 2006 retail FFXI experience. I just unlocked my first advanced job on any character retail or private and I'm having fun with some other goons

if i ever suddenly lost my job or broke up with my girlfriend or something i'd do this

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

if i ever suddenly lost my job or broke up with my girlfriend or something i'd do this

this will get my rightly mocked but honestly, games like ffxi are fuckin great for really depressing monotonous periods in life. i've been job hunting with nothing but lovely sporadic editing contracts, research assistant gigs, and dogsitting since i got my master's degree, which is compounded by a lot of other existential problems i have right now that have made me very depressed

for the past few days i've been playing a probably unhealthy amount but its got me smoking less pot and thinking a lot less about horrible poo poo and, perversely, even exercising more because after seven hours of videogames i feel like not taking a long walk or bike ride is inexcusable

so uh yeah its good for that and also im reliving my Gaming Fantasies from when I was 14

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Elderbean posted:

The dungeons around instances were full of elite mobs, which were hilariously murderous if you for e.g fell off a cliff and pulled 20 of them running back to your party

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

dreadmojo posted:

The dungeons around instances were full of elite mobs, which were hilariously murderous if you for e.g fell off a cliff and pulled 20 of them running back to your party

I too, remember Wailing Caverns

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I too, remember Wailing Caverns

:smith::hf::smith:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Gnomeregan was worse. Especially if you played horde and had to travel for like half an hour through alliance territory just to get there.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh god killing an out of place instance team was so satisfying.

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes
I remember the first time leveling a guy up was kind of fun but after that it was all like, why would i want to run the same raids over and over again with a bunch of other dudes and very little chance of actually getting any loot out of it?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Wailing Caverns had those awful elite raptors right in front and I died to them like six times abortively trying to run WC on nostalrius

Turns out a ton of people are used to modern MMO telling you stuff and get lost / bored in the ponderous as hell vanilla dungeons

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I mained a rogue for most of WoW but found that healer got me into a lot more content. I used to like taking people through lowbie dungeons and classic content that I could solo. I advertised myself as a classic dungeon tour guide, because I would explain the mechanics of fights to people like 'normally you would need xyz group composition to do this quickly *one hits the boss* but that's not an issue here'. It got better when they added that feature that let you swap the appearance of items, so I would take people to dungeons to get nice looking things so their low level characters could walk around wearing tiered sets.

Before games started selling loot boxes for real money, I would pickpocket enemies and sell the unopened boxes on the AH, because some boxes would have rare and epic items.

The other main thing I did was level 10-19 blood gulch and tank it out as a prot paladin. If you could get a few people to support you in a group (like 'I'll take all the attention by carrying the flag while you kill everyone focused on me') it was easy to steamroll the poo poo out of people, and at that level a lot of classes didn't have great tools or gear for doing massive damage.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 14, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Warsong.

I loved arathi basin, horde had that locked down on my server.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
One time in Arathi Basin my pet got stuck permanently in bestial wrath - it was glorious.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
This was Humar the Pridelord who had a 1.2s basic attack speed btw

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Worst thing about Lich King was they never tuned AV to address the stat creep, so every match near the end of the expansion was two zerg rushes competing to see who could faceroll harder. It was sad seeing the map's actual mechanics go unused.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Alliance Bridge of Death was the best mechanic.

chinese hair cave
Aug 23, 2017

by Cyrano4747

open container posted:

REMEMBER WHEN WOW STOOD FOR WHIP EM OUT WEDNESDSAY

i had a WOW sticker on my car in like 1999/2000 and i never got to see em whipped out :(

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Alliance Bridge of Death was the best mechanic.

Horde could just wall jump on the right to get to one of the towers (and mount through the bridge). The damned Horde base would dismount you since you had to ride through a tower to get to the final two.

I liked stealthing into the enemy mine as a Combat Rogue, soloing the boss there, and only having to turn in 6 supplies to get the Demolition Crew.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I think classic WoW as Blizzard is releasing it is the wrong move. Blizzard should have given players the classic wow engine and toolkits for mods and content creation like you can do in Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, with Classic WoW as the starting platform for the mods. Then they should have given players the choice of playing on official vanilla classic servers, or playing offline or hosting their own servers to showcase their own mods.

This will never happen for multiple reasons obviously, namely that Blizzard is the biggest control freak company in the industry, and 99% of the mods would be horrific perverted furry/anime poo poo. But the 1% of actually cool mods that would happen, and the option to make your own cheat codes or whatever would be cool.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 14, 2018

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah unfortunately the era of big studios allowing mods, custom servers, and user created content right alongside the regular game is basically over. At least for online stuff.

Like I can't imagine blizzard releasing an RTS along with a mapmaker and custom game modes in 2018.

SAD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Elderbean posted:

Yeah unfortunately the era of big studios allowing mods, custom servers, and user created content right alongside the regular game is basically over. At least for online stuff.

which is why games like Minecraft, DayZ, Empyrion, Rust, Ark, etc are all way more interesting than anything released by a "AAA" publisher in a long time.

• Locked thread