Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

queef latina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nurge posted:

Wyatt Earp was better than Tombstone. Fite me. Quaid was a better Doc than Kilmer.

Cannot fight a man who has already defeated himself.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Tombstone isn’t that great

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Eastwood’s character in High Plains Drifter is supposed to be upsettingly amoral and violent, even by comparison to his previous amoral violent protagonists who were themselves unusual in their time. The character’s rapey ways should be seen in that context, or within the film, the context of his character being some kind of ungodly revenant/angel of death poo poo. He’s kind of like a prototype of Judge Holden or something and likewise I don’t think we’re supposed to think he’s morally cool and good for raping people.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Artsygrrl posted:

Fine vintage Lee Van Cleef (with Peter Graves and Beverly Garland):

It Conquered the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vD-Z56Px_k

Man is a feeling creature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9iC7DvuD3s

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

General Dog posted:

Tombstone isn’t that great

it's pretty mediocre outside of val kilmer, but he single handedly lifted it into the decent-good range

naem
May 29, 2011

Ceyton posted:

it's pretty mediocre outside of val kilmer, but he single handedly lifted it into the decent-good range

probably his best movie

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Prince of Egypt is the best Val Kilmer movie. Honorable mention to Willow

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

This guy who doesn't even mention Real Genius has got to be trolling.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ceyton posted:

I'll agree with that

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

This thread inspired me to rewatch High Plains Drifter and it got me thinking, was this the first movie with the concept "guy comes back from the dead to avenge his own death"? It seems like such a basic idea and I'm sure it's an established folkloric motif, but this movie is certainly older than The Crow or The Wraith (lol) and I can't think of an older one on the theme.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Hogge Wild posted:

lee van beef

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

extra stout posted:

its time to elevate all the lee van cleef fans, he did a western called da uomo a uomo, english title was instead 'death rides a horse'

100% This - Also Mario Brega who managed to appear in a lot of films with a face that was made for radio.

While I love me some Van Cleef, why no love for Tuco Benedicto Pacífico Juan María Ramírez? Single greatest western character ever made and really the toughest fucker there ever was. He missed his mama's funeral but, it's the cost of being that gangster.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Revolvers

REVOLVERS

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Is this the thread where I finally talk about Have Gun Will Travel?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

General Dog posted:

What if was Lee Van Rollingstock and he was a trainsman

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bedevere posted:

100% This - Also Mario Brega who managed to appear in a lot of films with a face that was made for radio.

While I love me some Van Cleef, why no love for Tuco Benedicto Pacífico Juan María Ramírez? Single greatest western character ever made and really the toughest fucker there ever was. He missed his mama's funeral but, it's the cost of being that gangster.

The change from asking the price of the gun to robbing the man loving owns.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

Thank you! Such a great monologue.

Back to western talk: Tuco was an amazing character if only for the line "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Paladin posted:

Is this the thread where I finally talk about Have Gun Will Travel?

Paladin was like James Bond, Rick Deckard, and Batman all rolled into one.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
He did sell out the whole human race once.
It did not end well for him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Arrhythmia posted:

The change from asking the price of the gun to robbing the man loving owns.

'How much?" lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrbPiGBD81k

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The hell. Is this from some sort of a director's cut? I've never seen that chicken clip before and I've watched the movie at least a dozen times.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Nurge posted:

The hell. Is this from some sort of a director's cut? I've never seen that chicken clip before and I've watched the movie at least a dozen times.

I'm pretty sure it was in the most recent time I watched it at the very least.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nurge posted:

Yeah, there’s a directors cut which adds this and a couple of other scenes, like one where Angel Eyes stumbles across a camp of soldiers who were abandoned for being too ill to travel. The movie’s mostly better off without them imo (they were never dubbed into English until like, 2000 so Eastwood and Wallach sound distractingly like 70 year olds and VAN CLEEF sounds like someone more alive than Van Cleef was at the time) but there is one scene I wish had made the regular ole cut

https://youtu.be/qmlqyPDLj24

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The civil war parts of TGTBTU always seemed out of place and shoehorned to me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The civil war stuff is one of (many) things that makes GBU such an awesome movie. It’s at the root of the movie’s revisionist attitude. The great moral crusade of American self righteousness is torn down as a pointless meat grinder which the heroes, regardless of their ostensible moral standing, only pay attention to so they can get rich.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

The civil war parts of TGTBTU always seemed out of place and shoehorned to me.

Look if you can't appreciate Blondie and Tuco being surprised by the several mile long union base just fifty yards away I don't think your know how to appreciate film

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The bridge stuff felt like filler, but the dusty uniform bit was funny.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lee?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Look if you can't appreciate Blondie and Tuco being surprised by the several mile long union base just fifty yards away I don't think your know how to appreciate film

If it’s not in frame, it doesn’t exist for Leone. There’s an even more egregious example of this when Tuco is digging in the grave.

• Locked thread