Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Undead Nightmare never wanted to work on my PS3 properly, so it will be fun to see it to completion (as far as missions go)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Has there ever been an article/interview about where Undead Nightmare came from? I've played a lot of Rockstar open world games and RDR1 is the only one that got this sort of weird genre-switch content.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Aces High posted:

Undead Nightmare never wanted to work on my PS3 properly, so it will be fun to see it to completion (as far as missions go)
The only things I don't complete in this run are a couple of the challenges (namely Undead Sharpshooter and Undead Treasure Hunter) and the missing persons side missions (because there's a lot of them and you don't get anything interesting from them, there isn't even any actual dialogue from the NPCs you save), so you won't be missing out on any content aside from the "Legend of the Apocalypse" outfit.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Can you play as John running around in his underwear?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

White Coke posted:

Can you play as John running around in his underwear?
You can! The union suit is one of the outfits available at the start of the game. I generally opted for outfits with a bit more protection (and eventually the Army of Darkness outfit, which admittedly covers up quite a bit less than the union suit) due to the whole zombie apocalypse thing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Undead Nightmare Episode 2: You Can't Eat Me, I'm Herbert Moon

Herbert Moon would totally have a podcast or YouTube channel nowadays. Or at least he'd be a racist (and sexist and homophobic and anti-Semitic and xenophobic etc. etc) Facebook grandpa who brags about getting banned from family gatherings.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 15, 2020

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Doc M posted:

the Army of Darkness outfit

Does it have the only thing that matters?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

White Coke posted:

Does it have the only thing that matters?
Unfortunately not. We'll have to make do with the boomstick.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Doc M posted:

Unfortunately not. We'll have to make do with the boomstick.

I knew you'd say that. For some reason people like this travesty of a DLC.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Undead Nightmare Episode 3: Zombie Clown Car

Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed? Well, no, but we do have John Marston on one of said steeds. We also visit a shack that is apparently a portal to the zombie dimension, as well as hang out with Nigel West Dickens and Seth and discover they're even more insufferable in the DLC.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I loved the War horse, you just ram into zombies at speed and it sets everything on fire. I can't say I noticed much in the way of framerate issues on PS3 at the time either.
The fun thing about having one of the special horses is that it makes you completely immune to animal attacks. Zombies can drag you off your horse, but animals only have an animation for killing your horse out from under you, so if the horse won't die you can just sit there on it hitting them with the torch all day.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

inflatablefish posted:

I can't say I noticed much in the way of framerate issues on PS3 at the time either.
Pretty much every visually intensive game at the time had serious problems with frame rate and screen tearing on both systems, we just didn't care about them quite as much at the time. It's kinda shocking to go back to those games now because every open world game that gen ran like rear end Creed Unity.

I haven't personally played Undead Nightmare on PS3, but even the less demanding main game (which I did play, as it was a PlayStation Plus freebie in Europe in the early days of PS+) struggled pretty hard even when you were doing basically nothing. Here's a comparison, which also shows the Undead Nightmare headless bandit glitch in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOq25Zo8pes

edit: Huh, PS3 and 360 actually look roughly equal on Undead Nightmare in that footage, which is to say neither runs the DLC particularly well. :v:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 20, 2020

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I understand that it's a 10 year old game and it was pushing the limits of both consoles but I don't understand why Rockstar didn't get it ported for the PC, especially since RDR2 got a PC port

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Because the code is a massive clusterfuck, even the devs has admitted as much several times to my recollection.
The game is essentially hold together with strings and prayers in a lot of the places and it had a lot of weird bugs. The one I still remember is the bird people where the model for birds was by random switched with a random human model.
At least RDR2 had a solid engine while the first game was hacked up GTA4 one or somesuch.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 20, 2020

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

oh, well that makes sense

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Undead Nightmare Episode 4: Dead Sled

The Kreeps have arrived and they're here to rock. Oh, and we hitch a ride on an army train bound for Mexico.

Also, just to clarify, even though I criticize the PS3 version of Red Dead Redemption a lot, I'm not trying to imply the game is unplayable on PS3 or anything like that. While the 360 version is the better option (especially on Xbox One), the PS3 version is totally fine as well and you won't even notice the blurrier graphics and choppier performance if you haven't played the Xbox version. It's basically the same kind of difference as you'd see with Red Dead II on base PS4 vs. base Xbox One - the latter is blurrier and choppier so the base PS4 version is the better option if you have the choice, but both are totally playable and you can't really go wrong with either.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Uhoh, hang on guys someone set up a roadblock. Now let's completely forget the horde of zombies surrounding and chasing the train we're on as we bring it to a stop and nonchalantly hop out to carry some boxes.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Undead Nightmare Episode 5: Mother Superior Blues

We head to Las Hermanas and encounter Mother Superior Caldéron, who has certainly taken a rather hands-on approach to this whole situation. Landon Ricketts also shows up in Casa Madrugada, does nothing, and leaves. :effort:

Apparently, Sepulcro really doesn't have an "action" music track to go with the graveyard cleansing mission there. You just get the quiet ambient track to accompany your seven minutes of zombie-slaying, which is very odd. I spliced in another track to make it a bit more exciting.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Undead Nightmare Episode 6 (FINAL): Bad Voodoo

You can't stop what ain't dead, it's true. In the final installment of Undead Nightmare, we save the rest of the towns in Mexico, slay a chupacabra and tame the rest of the mythical horse friends before riding to Escalera, where we end the nightmare once and for all... or do we? [Vincent Price laugh]

This was originally going to be two separate videos, which is why I say we'd do the final mission "next time" at the halfway mark. I figured I'd just combine them into one big finale so I can finish Undead Nightmare while it's still October in some parts of the world.

Thank you once again for watching the Red Dead Redemption LP and commenting in the thread. It's taken a long time, but we made it to the end and even managed to get through the DLC! Join us in the near future for Red Dead Redemption II, which'll probably take two years even if I do update semi-regularly! :clint:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Damnit, Seth.

That said, thank you very much for an enjoyable LP. Good stuff.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Man, if ending the curse (however temporarily) made zombies turn back, John just murdered a shitload of people.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Man, that DLC feels kind of lackluster overall. The cosmetics and guns are the only really interesting bits to it that I saw, the actual mission to mission gameplay looked bland and repetitive to all hell.

malkav11 posted:

Man, if ending the curse (however temporarily) made zombies turn back, John just murdered a shitload of people.

So not very different than a normal day for him?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, that DLC feels kind of lackluster overall. The cosmetics and guns are the only really interesting bits to it that I saw, the actual mission to mission gameplay looked bland and repetitive to all hell.

So not very different than a normal day for him?

Mostly in the main game he's shooting people that are shooting at him - some of the time they're probably better people than him, but he's not going around shooting civilians. The zombies, on the other hand, appear to mostly just be random townsfolk.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, but they're trying to eat him or someone else so it's still self defense.

You know, the roman kind where you walk onto their land first.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

That was actually something that bothered me throughout. His wife and son are tied up, safe despite being zombified, and he's on a quest to find the cure for them. In his mind, he's trying to find a way to save people.

And then there's the point when he murders Bonnie's dad. John's from the old west, so self-defence tracks, but that scene was especially jarring to me.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

CrashScreen posted:

That was actually something that bothered me throughout. His wife and son are tied up, safe despite being zombified, and he's on a quest to find the cure for them. In his mind, he's trying to find a way to save people.

And then there's the point when he murders Bonnie's dad. John's from the old west, so self-defence tracks, but that scene was especially jarring to me.
John Marston is not a very smart man.

I actually looked up if you could hogtie Zombie MacFarlane, and predictably the answer to that was no. I didn't expect that to be an option (this is Rockstar we're talking about - GTA IV had at least one mission that straight-up didn't let you steal a car until the mission script said you could) but it'd have been neat to be able to spare some of the characters.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ok so that was a dick move by Seth but to be fair, an all-powerful mask that raises the dead should probably have more protection on it than "is in a crypt, on an unguarded stone slab"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yea, let's stick it in a box and put it in a warehouse among a whole load of identical boxes, put the governments top men on it

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Sorry for the bump/necromancy, but I just wanted to say thank you for this LP. I forced myself to finally finish RDR2 before Cyberpunk 2077 came out, then really needed to find out what happened to John & family after all that but didn't have any way of doing so. I bounced off at Mexico I think when I first played and never finished it, so thank you for not only getting through it but also putting everything together to make a great LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tme
Dec 15, 2008
Hey Doc,

sorry to barge in, but wanted to say that I really enjoy watching your content. I have played this game before (when I still owned a console), but watching your take on the game is fun and entertaining.

You can count me among your fans.

Best wishes.