Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I posted my stuff ages ago and am still hoping it'll arrive in time. There's one more delivery before Christmas, right?

ninja: Crying of Lot 49 is a good introduction to Pynchon, yeah. V. is nuts but Inherent Vice (one of my Santa presents last year!) is another good intro.

son of ninja: I finally opened my parcel.

Thanks, Furious Lobster! Nabokov is great (I was thinking about him a lot the days before this arrived, so you may be psychic) and I've been hearing good things about the Knausgard. It's intimidating, but now I suppose I've got a reason to plunge in. Cheers!

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I got home from work yesterday and found a note from the USPS taped to the door saying they needed me to come down to the post office and sign for a package from Taipei. Hmmm... I went down to pick it up today and it was the thoughtful gifts from my Santa.

Nicely wrapped and with a cool postcard and letter.

I appreciate the note with the personal description of the books. These are really prefect for me. They will all broaden my reading into areas new to me, yet still look interesting books that I will enjoy.

The Three Electro-Knights by Stanislaw Lem
It's a neat little book of "robot fairy tales". I read the first one tonight. It had the combination of feeling like an old legend and sci-fi at the same time.

Times Square Red, Times Square Blue by Samuel Delany
A non-fiction book about the gentrification New York's Times Square went through, and why that's not necessarily a good thing. I've always heard stories about how seedy the area was and how it's cleaned up and better now. It'll be interesting to get the alternate take on it.

Legends of the Condor Heroes by Jin Yong
Described as important to China as Star Wars and Harry Potter combined and by China's most widely read author. The Chinese Lord of the Rings? I'm ashamed to admit I haven't heard of this before. I definitely need to read this and it sounds fun. Looks like it's a series. Anyone know how many more there are?

Thanks for the awesome books! I'm looking forward to reading these over the long winter nights!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Phew! I'm glad that arrived, and sorry it's a couple of days late. I hope you enjoy the books!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I apologize for the delay in posting this. Busy schedule and technical difficulties.

I'm 90% sure this guy printed out his manuscript's DOC so he could turn it into a PDF for Lulu with his scanner.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Holy poo poo, that is powerful. It's like looking into the eyes of a very stupid god.

Oh my God, the scribbled-out page! All I can think of here is J-F Bibeau printing out a revised first chapter of Felsic Current as a little booklet and sticking it in the copies of the book he sent out. On one hand, this guy doesn't have Bibeau's excuse of having a ton of books printed before writing the revision; on the other hand, this guy at least had the sense to go with POD instead of pre-printing his vanity pile.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The priceless bit is the handful of screencaps of emails he sent to himself, with old school Gmail logos and his unobscured email address and everything. I'm genuinely uncertain if it's a huge joke or completely, unselfconsciously terrible. Either way, the book is a thing of amazing, idiotic beauty.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm genuinely uncertain if it's a huge joke or completely, unselfconsciously terrible.
Of course it's real. This stuff is par for the course in vanity publishing. If you want to question its sincerity, you have to question the sincerity of thousands and thousands of crazy, stupid books that vanity publishing has made possible. And who would take the time to write 348 pages of idiocy they didn't care about, knowing that nobody would even read it? Only the truly delusional can produce something like this.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 1, 2019

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

So the scribbled pages are not from a previous owner of the book?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TV Zombie posted:

So the scribbled pages are not from a previous owner of the book?
Unless MockingQuantum was loving with me (and has a pen that can write lines with the jagged edges of a crappy scan), no. It's a new copy.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 1, 2019

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
The emails, my god. Absolutely incredible.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

chernobyl kinsman posted:

drat Guy A. Person, these are incredible! thanks so much! i'll post a pic in the AM

hey post them books I sent you

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Guy A. Person posted:

hey post them books I sent you

poo poo my bad!

these are seriously awesome, thanks so much dude. on haunted castles atm

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

poo poo my bad!

poo poo I was just flipping through the scandinavian folklore book the other day LMK how it goes

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Furious Lobster, I finished My Struggle 1 today. It was great, I loved how fluidly it slipped and digressed from one subject to the next and the microscopic attention to detail. I've got book 2 beside me right now. Great choice!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Safety Biscuits posted:

Furious Lobster, I finished My Struggle 1 today. It was great, I loved how fluidly it slipped and digressed from one subject to the next and the microscopic attention to detail. I've got book 2 beside me right now. Great choice!

Glad you’re enjoying the series!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

poo poo my bad!

oh wait i missed one, the history of philosophy book was in my bag. that one is also great

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

poo poo my bad!

Nice, that's what I needed to see!

Also Antivehicular I am about halfway into Geek Love and it is great. Not at all what I expected based on the title, it's been a very pleasant surprise.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the great selection of books, Tim Burns Effect! I can't wait to start reading Moby Dick. Also, the note about the textbook was hilarious!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

lobster post the note

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 25, 2022

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Better dead than red conversant in a foreign language.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

post the communist bits

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Sounds like everyone got their stuff and it was a great success. Thanks all who participated!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I did finally send out my free books! They should be arriving any day

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I did finally send out my free books! They should be arriving any day

I just got mine like an hour ago! Thanks so much, will post pictures after I eat and do dishes

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 25, 2022

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

pleasecallmechrist posted:

I just got mine! Thank you so much! The card is awesome. My phone won't take small enough pictures to post but this is so cool and what a surprise! Happy rest of the new year!

The books I got you should show up any day now.

I first mailed them on December 12th, but I guess there was an issue with the address, and it didn't get returned to me until right after Christmas. I shipped them again two weeks ago.

I hope you get them this time because I got you some really good stuff. I feel really terrible and anxious that this happened.

:(

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 25, 2022

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Finally got my hands on the books that AnonymousNarcotics sent me, despite complications.

Aurora 7 is right up my alley, Who Is Vera Kelly? looks fun, Programming the Universe looks interesting, and Sock is a novel by Penn Jillette about an atheist sock monkey. Good spectrum of books. Thanks!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Nice stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Yay I hope everyone enjoys the books.

I just found out that The Strand has a 48¢ book shelf as well.

Mwahaha.