Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Hi everyone, apologies for the long wait for the next video. It's coming along well but it isn't quite done yet.

"Unforeseen Consequences", the first chapter of Half-Life set after the disaster, has a lot crammed into it. We are introduced to 5 types of enemy, each of which have a number of interesting behaviours to show off. We gain 3 weapons, 2 of which behave differently in earlier versions of Half-Life compared to later patches. (Of course I'm including footage from both old and new versions of Half-Life to demonstrate this.) There are several alternate routes and alternative ways of getting past obstacles. Plus there are one or two differences between the PC and PS2 version. I am covering all these aspects in a great amount of detail.

On the upside, there will also be a blooper/outtake reel of various recording attempts where things did not go to plan, including scripted sequences failing, nonsensical remarks by NPCs, bizarre behaviour, and me messing up and getting myself killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Looking forward to it YET.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Take all the time you need, we know the result is always worth the wait for your LPs.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Sooo... How about them headcrabs? Creepy bastards, aren't they?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

inscrutable horse posted:

Sooo... How about them headcrabs? Creepy bastards, aren't they?

I'd love to wax lyrical about my favourite (ie "most hated") headcrab in this game, but it's gonna be a loooooong time before we get to it.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

So here's an interesting tidbit. Some old pre-release materials gave a number of the alien creatures proper scientific nomenclature (Latin/Greek names). Naturally, I'm using those proper scientific terms when introducing each creature.

However, the headcrabs were never given scientific names. So I've had to come up with my own.

In Half-Life 1 and its expansions, it is simply the 'common headcrab'... Cephaloparugus vulgaris.

While I imagine inflatablefish is talking about one of the additional variants that appear in Half-Life 2... either Cephaloparugus agilis or Cephaloparugus venemosus.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Cephaloparugus Cantus maybe?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Do you perhaps mean Cephalopagurus instead of Cephaloparugus? For "parugus" I find nothing but some stuff on Dragon Ball websites, but "pagurus" are hermit crabs, and Cancer pagurus is a subspecies of the family of true crabs (unrelated to hermit crabs) known as the brown crab or edible crab.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Do you perhaps mean Cephalopagurus instead of Cephaloparugus? For "parugus" I find nothing but some stuff on Dragon Ball websites, but "pagurus" are hermit crabs, and Cancer pagurus is a subspecies of the family of true crabs (unrelated to hermit crabs) known as the brown crab or edible crab.

Yep, typo! I knew it was pagurus and yet I somehow wrote parugus. Thank you very much, that might have inadvertently ended up in the video.

inscrutable horse posted:

Cephaloparugus Cantus maybe?

Doesn't cantus mean song or singing? Ah, are you are referring to that one kind of headcrab that makes a threatening noise...

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

your evil twin posted:

While I imagine inflatablefish is talking about one of the additional variants that appear in Half-Life 2... either Cephaloparugus agilis or Cephaloparugus venemosus.

No, no, I mean one specific baseline headcrab in a particular place in Half-Life 1. You know how the game's been training you to instinctively backpedal away from headcrabs to give yourself space to fight them? I mean the one that's positioned to make you backpedal out into the Grand Canyon after you've spent the last half-hour painstakingly climbing up. It is a bastard.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

your evil twin posted:

Doesn't cantus mean song or singing? Ah, are you are referring to that one kind of headcrab that makes a threatening noise...

The very same! Creeps me out ever so terribly :)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

inflatablefish posted:

No, no, I mean one specific baseline headcrab in a particular place in Half-Life 1. You know how the game's been training you to instinctively backpedal away from headcrabs to give yourself space to fight them? I mean the one that's positioned to make you backpedal out into the Grand Canyon after you've spent the last half-hour painstakingly climbing up. It is a bastard.
Ooooh yeah. I remember that bastard.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
LP still alive?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON

MadBimber posted:

LP still alive?

Gonna guess no.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

MadBimber posted:

LP still alive?

YET has posted on his Patreon about how he has barely been able to work on his LPs for the past year due to a lot of real-life stuff getting in the way. He did post a video a few weeks ago about why the new Terminator game may not be total garbage so at least he's still alive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3hSSIKaolQ

The Patreon post for that video also says he's close to releasing the next part of both this LP and his one for Quantum Break.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 1, 2019

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Gonna guess no.

Folks, this is a YET LP.

For all his LPs, he's had gaps of years between episodes.

And it's never stopped him from finishing one.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Carbon dioxide posted:

Folks, this is a YET LP.

half life 3 may be out first.

but YET will finish the LP

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Y'all thought the 20 years in the title referred to the duration of Half-Life and not of the LP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

Folks, this is a YET LP.

totally fair, I think I've only read one of his previously? will keep waiting