Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Made Japanese milk bread for the first time, just the lightest, pillowiest balls of dough

that looks amazing, does it taste good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

MadSparkle posted:

that looks amazing, does it taste good?

They tasted awesome! Very brioche-like, but stayed fresh longer because of the tangzhong. Made for some excellent sandwiches.

A+ would make again, the recipe I used if you're so inclined: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/japanese-milk-bread-rolls-recipe

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

spechtie posted:

some Soviet dinner inspiration:

Dinner with beer. Photo from the Book of Tasty and Healthy Food (USSR, 1962)

the beer provides the carbs

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Leo_Iam_535/status/1775170514836713616

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
it's pronounced "jajuk"

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I've cooking and eating my own lentil soup for about a week and now have amazing poops.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

I've cooking and eating my own lentil soup for about a week and now have amazing poops.

lentil soup whips. onion, garlic, cabbage, pepper, whatever random leftover protein you have, ideally grilled chorizo. splash of vinegar, barely cooked through lentils. maybe Lima beans simmered in there at the end, maybe a few fistfuls of greens.

dollop of yogurt, a small pile of those little Chinese breadsticks

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

SardonicTyrant posted:

nice

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I would normally not want anything to do with mt. olive, despite loving both mountains and olives, but this stuff just absolutely makes a sandwich

https://www.mtolivepickles.com/pickle-products/italian-seasoned-mild-banana-peppers-onions/

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

cooking a pot of black-eyed peas for eclipse food

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Just popped my homemade sushi cherry. why the hell haven’t I made sushi at home before? it’s so easy.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Just popped my homemade sushi cherry. why the hell haven’t I made sushi at home before? it’s so easy.

When you make it at home it's called fish sticks

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I made lentil soup again, and crusty white bread, but somethings missing from them. I think the soup broth is a bit too thin and the bread needs a herb or something, like rosemary. Thoughts?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

I made lentil soup again, and crusty white bread, but somethings missing from them. I think the soup broth is a bit too thin and the bread needs a herb or something, like rosemary. Thoughts?

take 1/4 to 1/2 of the soup and throw it in a blender then put it back in the pot

this is the secret for good potato and french onion soups

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

SardonicTyrant posted:

also if you taste it and it just tastes bland yu need more salt. it’s almost always salt. no matter what you do for texture. it’s salt. then fat. then acid.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

tarragon or oregano probably

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i say swears online posted:

take 1/4 to 1/2 of the soup and throw it in a blender then put it back in the pot

this is the secret for good potato and french onion soups

Jesus did not own a blender. Do not do this

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

this

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

SardonicTyrant posted:

soup needs some fat and probably a little salt. any kind of animal fat or butter or olive oil

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

SardonicTyrant posted:

Do you use stock? The gelatin in animal stock helps a lot with mouthfeel. Make sure you cook the lentils enough, and give it a good go with the blender. You can add olive oil while blending to emulsify it.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 12:23 on Apr 16, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Couple tablespoons of corn starch can always do the trick too. Or a roux if you feel like the effort.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
also vinegar
also maybe msg if the stock wasn't too rich

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

to really take things to the next level: soup toppings. lentil soup is good with gremolata + extra virgin olive oil or persillade on top.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I like it with yoghurt.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

thotsky posted:

I like it with yoghurt.

Same.

Here's skillet taters. My go to lazy dish. Parboil the taters and put the sweet taters in at the very end so that everything cooks at the same time on the skillet.

E:push taters to the side when they're done and fry the eggs in the middle. I like the eggs barely cooked.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leroy Diplowski has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Apr 16, 2024

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Same principle but roasting pan instead of skillet. Egg + root veg never fails and is super lazy. Those white ones are parsnips. I can't handle paying normal grocery store price but they pop up at the produce stands for pretty cheap in season.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Here's one of many excellent approaches for doing up some lentils.

Broth, onions, tomatoes, spinach, other veggies.

For flavour: garlic, ginger, salt, black pepper, gram masala, turmeric, cumin, a cinnamon stick, bay leaves.

Make it like soupe or make it like paste. I like it like paste so I can eat with roti.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Result:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

hifi posted:

Jesus did not own a blender. Do not do this
Yeah I don't own a blender or food processor atm but I'm trying to limit the amount of kitchen gadgets I own. I have a potato ricer though and I bet I could use it mash up the soup pretty well for next time.

I think I'll try adding butter for next time as well.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

Yeah I don't own a blender or food processor atm but I'm trying to limit the amount of kitchen gadgets I own. I have a potato ricer though and I bet I could use it mash up the soup pretty well for next time.

I think I'll try adding butter for next time as well.

you sound like a perfect candidate for an immersion blender. got one of those rather than some giant thing you'll never use

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
or consider a smoothie blender. I have a ninja that holds maybe 20oz. which works great for turning some bean soup into broth (I do it for pasta fagioli) or when a recipe calls for tomato sauce and all I have are canned tomatoes. Also works for turning a couple slices of bread into breadcrumbs for topping some baked Mac and cheese.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

you sound like a perfect candidate for an immersion blender. got one of those rather than some giant thing you'll never use

I was going to also suggest the immersion blender. you can just jam it in the pot and let 'er rip for a few seconds and all you have to clean is the stick part. I use mine all the time. gently caress a food processor, immersion blender is where it's at

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm opposed to blending soups but yeah immersion blenders are cheap, compact, easy to clean and can be used to make mayonaise and various whipped desserts

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Personally was interested in an immersion blender but learned that lots of people injure themselves using them and I'm a real fool so decided against it. Probably fine for most people, otherwise there are models that require simultaneous pressing of two buttons with two different hands to activate the motor. Ideally you'd also have it beep loudly for 10 seconds before actuation and would require the user to wear a safety vest to even turn on but the world is not ready for my good ideas.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

immersion blender is what i use. the pro move is to transfer the portion of soup you want blended to a separate bowl, blend completely then reincorporate with the rest of the unblended soup. otherwise you end up with a bunch of partially blended chunks which no one likes.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

*peers into nocturtle's knife drawer*

it's all spoons

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

I'm opposed to blending soups but yeah immersion blenders are cheap, compact, easy to clean and can be used to make mayonaise and various whipped desserts

while I remain pro-soup-blend it also makes great frozen fruit and protein powder smoothies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

Personally was interested in an immersion blender but learned that lots of people injure themselves using them and I'm a real fool so decided against it. Probably fine for most people, otherwise there are models that require simultaneous pressing of two buttons with two different hands to activate the motor. Ideally you'd also have it beep loudly for 10 seconds before actuation and would require the user to wear a safety vest to even turn on but the world is not ready for my good ideas.

definitely tried to lick some smoothie off while it was still plugged in before I stopped myself

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Barbecue season is here. I did a NY strip today and there's another one for tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Recently bought a 3lb bag of cubed potatoes from a local breakfast place and have been deep frying them and dipping in mayonnaise. Final batch is about to go in the pan...