Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
that must be who this VAXstation 4000/96 listing is targeting

(they reviewed and declined my very reasonable offer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i wonder if you could simulate an apollo or space shuttle mission on your PC with mainframe emulation using the actual mission control software, if you were able to get your hands on the software. i suppose you'd have to also simulate incoming telemetry for the system to process... wonder what the format was for the telemetry data coming in.

i know there's a full emulator of the apollo guidance computer and software for it.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i wonder if you could simulate an apollo or space shuttle mission on your PC with mainframe emulation using the actual mission control software, if you were able to get your hands on the software. i suppose you'd have to also simulate incoming telemetry for the system to process... wonder what the format was for the telemetry data coming in.

i know there's a full emulator of the apollo guidance computer and software for it.

there is a plug-in for Orbiter (a space flight simulator) that lets you use said emulator to recreate Apollo missions down to the minute, from the capsule side at least

there’s also a YouTube channel (lunarmodule5) that does this and syncs it up to the actual mission control audio loops & available footage

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Silver Alicorn posted:

there is a plug-in for Orbiter (a space flight simulator) that lets you use said emulator to recreate Apollo missions down to the minute, from the capsule side at least

there’s also a YouTube channel (lunarmodule5) that does this and syncs it up to the actual mission control audio loops & available footage

that’s awesome

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Doc Block posted:

didn’t they have to keep a microvax emulator running to be able to talk with the chandra x-ray telescope because some dumbass in the early 90s thought basing the telescope flight computer and its ground control systems on DEC hardware and VMS was a good idea, and by the time the damned thing was actually in space it had become clear that it wasn’t?

the bets weren't that clear-cut in the early 90s though, vms was at least big enough that it was clear *some* path would exist

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

must be a good os if nasa is using it

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
See also:

http://linux.web.cern.ch/linux/scientific6/
http://linux.web.cern.ch/linux/centos7/

Most of the time these exist because some unmaintained package from the '00s is now mission critical and absolutely has to use this exact version of gcc or whatever.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

really any actual difficulty arising from this sort of thing is more an indictment of the shortsightedness of software backwards compatibility than it is an indictment of the engineers at e.g. nasa or cern

not that it seems they have any real trouble, they have their emulators and specific distros, it is just important to remember that it likely makes all kinds of sense in reality to take that route than the average programmer, with a deprecate-and-forget attitude, will by habit think. software compatibility is good and not that expensive, it just annoys pampered coders working on it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the bets weren't that clear-cut in the early 90s though, vms was at least big enough that it was clear *some* path would exist

i remember reading about alpha in pc magazine when i was a kid. don't remember much but the whole article was like hoooooly poo poo its so fast!!!! MS was making very serious noises about the portability of NT. netware was still a thing. it was not at all clear that intel would dominate the server market 10 years later

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

really any actual difficulty arising from this sort of thing is more an indictment of the shortsightedness of software backwards compatibility than it is an indictment of the engineers at e.g. nasa or cern

not that it seems they have any real trouble, they have their emulators and specific distros, it is just important to remember that it likely makes all kinds of sense in reality to take that route than the average programmer, with a deprecate-and-forget attitude, will by habit think. software compatibility is good and not that expensive, it just annoys pampered coders working on it

I compiled a directx 5? demo on my win2k box and I was able to run it without modification on my modern win10 pc

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

i remember reading about alpha in pc magazine when i was a kid. don't remember much but the whole article was like hoooooly poo poo its so fast!!!! MS was making very serious noises about the portability of NT. netware was still a thing. it was not at all clear that intel would dominate the server market 10 years later

I have a Motorola PowerStack DT604-133, a PowerPC Reference Platform (PReP) system that shipped with Windows NT; Motorola didn’t sell very many, because they were focused on selling the (ATX!) logic boards to other vendors

unfortunately I think the floppy is busted, the NT4 boot floppy that I created won’t boot

I did manage to get it to request the NetBSD kernel via tftp but it crashed soon after, I suspect the kernel is built for PowerPC 604e and not PowerPC 604 or needs to be loaded at a specific address or something like that

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

eschaton posted:

I have a Motorola PowerStack DT604-133, a PowerPC Reference Platform (PReP) system that shipped with Windows NT; Motorola didn’t sell very many, because they were focused on selling the (ATX!) logic boards to other vendors

unfortunately I think the floppy is busted, the NT4 boot floppy that I created won’t boot

I did manage to get it to request the NetBSD kernel via tftp but it crashed soon after, I suspect the kernel is built for PowerPC 604e and not PowerPC 604 or needs to be loaded at a specific address or something like that

poo poo I totally forgot about PowerPC. yeah around that time PowerPC looked competitive too, for a while. the 90s were a wild and crazy time in computers, at least compared to today’s arm for low power, intel for high power situation

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTys3VzCe7o

cool presentation about the mars curiosity OS

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

only 42 minutes

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
we're gonna get purged by aliens who are zealous gnome users

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

we're gonna get purged by aliens who are zealous enlightenment users

• Locked thread