Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

DrSunshine posted:

You can be our UFO guy. ^~^
Thanks! Here's a video of a shocking alien encounter I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZERfeh7n4Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Shame we're going to lose the thread title, I was pretty happy with this one when I riffed off whoever it was.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

The problem was never aliens or UFOs. The problem was "ufo guys". Some far out stuff gets discussed in the thread on the regular, but if you ask someone to explain where they are at they will do so generally in good faith. The "ufo guy" as a genre of person will dance around the subject and deploy the 9 levels of revolving irony so any discussion is just an exercise in frustration. It's the exact same behaviour you get from someone that's seriously into a pseudoscience or q-anon stuff, as it's a psychological self-defence mechanism that the brain deploys to preserve a fragile ego from having to admit an error, any error. Like, I don't think I've ever seen a person into the stuff admit even the smallest mistake.
i think a lot of the slapfighting itt a while back (a couple years now?!) came from the fact the subtitle was literally discuss aliens itt for months. so you had the UFO news revival making people look for a place to discuss it and this thread literally had a sign saying "discuss aliens" and when ppl did the old regulars got annoyed and the whole thing has largely dissipated thanks to the 'stoners on the outdoor patio' thread in scpam. anyway! i love lurking this thread and reading about cool and serious space news and discussion too so just a quick thank you too all the regular posters for being so interesting and informative with their posts :)

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
The most recent season of the podcast Strange Arrivals just wrapped up, which focused on some of the personalities in ufology. I think you fine goons would like it, and it resonates with Lampsacus's post right above this one, because it really gets into the weeds about how ufology is a pseudoscience and how some of the most famous UFO cases stem from poor scientific and journalistic practices borne of having a pre-arrived conclusion ravenous for evidence.

It also gets into some ufologists being creeps and how (not unique among boys' clubs) the community worked to expunge accusers and protect itself, so be mindful of that if listening.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lampsacus posted:

i think a lot of the slapfighting itt a while back (a couple years now?!) came from the fact the subtitle was literally discuss aliens itt for months. so you had the UFO news revival making people look for a place to discuss it and this thread literally had a sign saying "discuss aliens" and when ppl did the old regulars got annoyed and the whole thing has largely dissipated thanks to the 'stoners on the outdoor patio' thread in scpam. anyway! i love lurking this thread and reading about cool and serious space news and discussion too so just a quick thank you too all the regular posters for being so interesting and informative with their posts :)
I would say the heuristic here is "are you talking about aliens in a reasonably robust science-fiction sense?" vs. "are you talking about aliens in an X-files/Space Brothers/Posadist sense?"

Like I can speculate on the kind of aliens who would send von Neumann probes out and around but the only thing I would "say" is that they're probably a lot more patient than humans.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I for one welcome UFO talk because RS doesn't appear to have opinions on the matter.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If Sim Earth taught me anything, it’s that machine civilizations are functionally no different from biological civilizations. Also the mutation frequency slider doesn’t do anything.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Conspiratiorist posted:

I for one welcome UFO talk because RS doesn't appear to have opinions on the matter.

:saddowns:

I just mainly find the discussion interesting and don't mind reading it. :shobon:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
However many years ago, the talk we had in here about what silicon based aliens and their planets would maybe look like based on the chemistry needed to have silicon have comparable complex chemistry that carbon does for life was some of the best content produced in here, I'd argue.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dameius posted:

However many years ago, the talk we had in here about what silicon based aliens and their planets would maybe look like based on the chemistry needed to have silicon have comparable complex chemistry that carbon does for life was some of the best content produced in here, I'd argue.

page 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
New thread up!