Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Say, in a 3rd person games like Dark Soul. Do you flick the camera more? Or more smooth camera work. I know there's a time for both styles, but what are you more of. Goodbye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

On foot: A flicker
On horse/vehicle: smooth cinematic gamer

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Wormskull posted:

Say, in a 3rd person games like Dark Soul. Do you flick the camera more? Or more smooth camera work. I know there's a time for both styles, but what are you more of. Goodbye.

I would choose smooth if both options are viable in that particular game.

I like trying to make cinematic shots when you are just running in the open world games like ffxv or botw

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i've never thought of this before, so i'm not sure OP

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When I played Wind Waker on a wavebird controller in 2003 I would turn the controller off and then hold the c stick a teensy bit left and turn it on which would make the camera continuously spin around really epically, if I was going to embark on a particularly long sail.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

my morning jackass posted:

I would choose smooth if both options are viable in that particular game.

I like trying to make cinematic shots when you are just running in the open world games like ffxv or botw

Yeah I always find a little joy in rotating the camera so my character is running towards it and angling it up at the sky :)

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Flicker usually but cinematic when I feel like it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

do you mean flick as in centering the camera behind your character with a single button press?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

do you mean flick as in centering the camera behind your character with a single button press?

I mean just hitting the camera around with a flick of the analog stick, for example.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

flick, always. im here to game, not watch

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Smooth in shadow of the colossus, probably flick in everything else.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Wormskull posted:

I mean just hitting the camera around with a flick of the analog stick, for example.

just jump the camera around? who does this?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Me, bitch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

if a game has a button to snap the camera behind your characters back I use that almost exclusively.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I try to get sweet angles when its non intrusive to the gameplay op

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I thought about it for a while and I've decided that I'm a compulsive flicker, mostly because I'm an explorer at heart and am always straining the camera at every angle to I can get a good look at every corner of the map, hunting for secrets and treasures.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

In Training posted:

if a game has a button to snap the camera behind your characters back I use that almost exclusively.

Yeah I do this all the time but i'm not tapping the stick trying to turn the camera around a corner in little jumps or aim but apparently people do this.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

I try to get sweet angles when its non intrusive to the gameplay op

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Wormskull can you provide an example of flick camera movement because it's doing my head in mate and I want to go to sleep.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
smooth, sagelike movements. unless im in trying combat.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
smooth .. but i like to turn the sensitivity up generally, cos normally if you leave it standard theres like this dead zone when you first move the stick, i hate that.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Also i do a lot more smooth cinematic camera movements now that every console has a button to record clips

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
most games now have like motion blur when you spin the camera anyway, i guess to disguise the frame rate or something. so if you are a spaz with the controller it looks like you just swallowed a bunch of poisonous mushrooms and ketamine

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

most games now have like motion blur when you spin the camera anyway, i guess to disguise the frame rate or something. so if you are a spaz with the controller it looks like you just swallowed a bunch of poisonous mushrooms and ketamine

I would do this in gow1 coop to make my burnout friend sick

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bv10T-LMzU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Leadthumb posted:

Smooth in shadow of the colossus, probably flick in everything else.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

flicker, i need to be in control and like to scan everything. in windwaker tho i did do the camera spinning that IT mentioned on long trips

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

On pc I flick like crazy. Mouse sensitivity at max, never stop moving, I gotta know everything that's going on in the entire environment at all times and if the game takes away camera control I get anxiety

On console I couldn't do that so I learned to be chill about it

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i always try and keep it like im shooting a movie, to the point where in botw i will stop and reposition myself so the camera angle will be more dynamic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

depends on if it's a game where fast response times w/r/t your surroundings are important

• Locked thread