Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about "Games as Service"?
Better than the old ways
The same/indifferent
Worse
Other (please post below)
View Results

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Hate it. But short of the executives and the investors being proper strung up on lightposts, that's the way the industry is going.

I will just buy a bunch less games. Not that it changes anything, but what else can you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I remember a time when publishers had $5.00/minute "tip lines" that you could call to get cheat codes.

They did not give out cheat codes, at least for adventure games.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

OneMoreTime posted:

EDIT: Nintendo sold those shares after Microsoft bought out the remaining 51%. But even then, they retained a lot of IP that Rare developed (basically anything that was vaguely Nintendo related.) Gamefreak also does make third part games on the side, such as Tembo the Badass Elephant and something called Gigawrecker. It's more the Pokemon IP can't walk away.

It's insane how much of a bargain Nintendo got from selling Rare.

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I remember a time when publishers had $5.00/minute "tip lines" that you could call to get cheat codes.

I read that Nintendo's service was free?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Sierra charged, and I know this because my older friend worked for them (I heard about this after the fact). Just FYI they charged a decent amount because he spent 50+% of his time sitting on his rear end waiting for calls. Essentially the people who called in were subsidizing the employees (there were 2 and a couple of temps whenever a new game came out) goofing off while waiting for calls; it was not a money-maker for the company.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

OneMoreTime posted:

EDIT: Nintendo sold those shares after Microsoft bought out the remaining 51%. But even then, they retained a lot of IP that Rare developed (basically anything that was vaguely Nintendo related.) Gamefreak also does make third part games on the side, such as Tembo the Badass Elephant and something called Gigawrecker. It's more the Pokemon IP can't walk away.

Yeah. Nintendo's 100 percent ownership of the trademark essentially means Pokemon can't go anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

punk rebel ecks posted:

I read that Nintendo's service was free?

The "007-373-5963" number was free, but that was just the Nintendo Hotline. For game counselors, you had to pay. I called about Crystalis because gently caress me that game killed my child brain.

As far as Live Services I'm going to go with it sucks poo poo and I don't want any part of it in video games. But there isn't a drat thing I can do about it except not buy into it and buy a lot less games overall. I don't play a lot of stuff plagued by it, mostly single player stuff which the people that are making money off this cancer want to get rid of anyway. As long as they keep making Witchers, Yakuzas, Souls and RPGs, I'll be happy. I avoid the ones like Shadow of War which tried to gently caress poo poo up.

I don't mind DLC as long as it's meaty, (Witcher 3) and I kinda miss expansion packs. Most DLC don't even come close to being what an expansion pack was back in the day and many times I put off buying a game for a year or more just to get whatever Gold edition it is when it's deep discounted.

Also pre-order exclusive content is the worst offender in my book. Why the gently caress is there a need to pre order a digital thing? I know the obvious reason which is just greed and stupidity. The Mortal Kombat 11 trailer was great except for that poo poo song and the "Pre Order to play as Shao Khan" worm they dangled on the end of a hook. God drat.

Even loving new release movies are getting in on this poo poo. Why would you need to pre order a loving digital download movie?

Givin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 14, 2018