Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLU7aNFp65M

In 2017, Sunderland A.F.C. was relegated from the Premier League after ten seasons in England's top-flight. The previous three times the Black Cats had played in the second-tier of English soccer (currently known as the EFL Championship), they never finished lower than 3rd on the table and were promoted back to the Premier League within two seasons. Surely this would happen again, right? Well.......no. In fact, they were relegated to EFL League One after finishing DEAD LAST in the EFL Championship. They had three managers during the season, one of them serving twice as an interim. They won one home match in the calendar year 2017. They fell to the third tier of English soccer for only the second time in 138 years.

Their entire season was filmed for a Netflix documentary series.

For the second time ever (after 1998's Premier Passions), Sunderland A.F.C. is the focus of a documentary series about a season that goes down the tubes. What makes this series different, though, is that instead of being all about the players and the matches, much of the focus lies on the fans of the club and their endless support in trying times. These are the locals of the northern town of Sunderland, living and dying by team. Imagine you've just been kicked in the junk from the front, and then you're kicked in the junk from behind. That's what the past two years were like.

I became a Sunderland supporter in 2007 and have regretted it ever since. I needed an English team to root for, given I had stopped supporting Liverpool F.C. due to their sale to Tom Hicks (as a Houston Astros fan, I refused to cheer for a team owned by the Texas Rangers owner). It just so happened that the local radio station I listened to had a segment featuring new music from the UK introduced by the radio voice of Sunderland (a man whose name I have forgotten), and my local DJ informed me that they had just been promoted to the Premier League. That's why I became a Sunderland supporter, and I know it's stupid.

Anyway, the show looks fascinating and I'm going to watch it when it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
This show is insanely good as someone who takes great pleasure from the suffering of Mackems. Sunderland were so bad in the premier league for so long and had many highlights such as: Jozy lol, a man named dick advocate, playing an actual child molester, surviving while Newcastle got relegated to massive lols and when my team (Middlesbrough) got promoted we both died together.

Some notes about the competition Sunderland had in the season in the documentary
Bolton: one of the poorest teams in the league that almost went bankrupt the past two seasons
Burton: a genuine running joke because they have a stadium that seats around 5000 and most are standing room only
Birmingham: google downfall of Portsmouth

tl:dr lol Sunderland, good show

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

also, Martin Bain, the horribly ineffectual CEO of Sunderland, was previously in charge of Rangers during their "for every fiver Celtic spend, we'll spend a tenner" days that led to them going bankrupt. it really was hilarious to see them somehow make the wrong decision at every turn (though some stuff, like losing Grabban, was forced on them).

as for how Sunderland are doing now: they're P3 in League One, two points off the automatic promotion places with two games in hand on the top two clubs, Portsmouth and Luton. they actually managed to make a profit in the transfer market, selling Asoro for £2.5m and several other players for £5m+ each. George Honeyman is the captain and Josh Maja has 14 goals, second-best in League One.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If any non-Brits watch this please give comments about what you think of the state of UK football because an outsider's perspective on crazy football culture (and how it compares to US football cultur) would rule.

I live in Sunderland and when the team loses big it's like you can feel the city dying a little bit faster.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is this on American Netflix? Because I am gonna be on that poo poo so quickly if it is. The timing for choosing this particular season for Sunderland was kismet. Everything that went wrong that season did, and it got so bad that their owner couldn't even sell the club for 50 million pounds.

The only player I know on them is Lyndon Gooch because he's eligible to play as a US international. Unfortunately, the federation probably thinks there are enough Americans playing abroad on their team and would rather give chances to MLS lifers who aren't good enough to play abroad.

US Soccer: the Sunderland of the international game.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Yes, it’s on American Netflix. I should know, as an American.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
This was really good, it's a shame because apparently they're doing a follow up on the team now which is nice for the club but let's be honest it's a lot more watchable when the chips are down, especially if the chips arent supposed to be down like this scenario.

As already said it's interesting to get the American perspective as the concept of relegation in sport over there is alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bacon Terrorist posted:

This was really good, it's a shame because apparently they're doing a follow up on the team now which is nice for the club but let's be honest it's a lot more watchable when the chips are down, especially if the chips arent supposed to be down like this scenario.

As already said it's interesting to get the American perspective as the concept of relegation in sport over there is alien.

I do football manager a lot (to the point google won't stop showing me league 2 results) so it's all familiar to me. This was like the frustrating games where your board just decide to be little bitches and not let you spend any money, so it was good to see that's based on reality :v: