Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who ya Got?
Derwin James, Chargers
Darius Leonard, Colts
Leighton Vander Esch, Cowboys
Bradley Chubb, Broncos
Other
View Results

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
This year there has been a ton of Impact Rookies on Defense, lets take a look at who is leading the pack, and who is going to win. Only 3 defensive players were taken top 10 in this years draft, Denzel Ward (4th to the Browns), Bradley Chubb (5th to the Broncos) and Roquan Smith (8th to the Bears). Chubb opened as the clear favorite to win with Von Miller attracting all the attention on the opposite edge but has since taken a back seat to 2 other players.

Some quick hits from Sports Betting Dime:
  • Each of the last 11 DROY awards went to first round picks (DeMeco Ryans won as a second round pick in 2006)
  • Ten of the last 11 winners were selected in the top 15 of their draft – Marcus Peters went 18th overall
  • The first defender off the board has only won DROY once in the last six years (Joey Bosa in 2016)
  • Two of the last three DROY awards went to CBs
  • An ILB has not won the award since 2012 (Luke Kuechly)
  • The award has only gone to a safety twice – the last was in 1990 (Mark Carrier)

Current top Rookies:

Derwin James, Chargers

Position: Safety
College: Florida State (No. 17 overall)
Through 14 games, James has 93 tackles and three interceptions, 3.5 sacks, and 12 pass deflections. To put James' season into perspective, Troy Polamalu's career averages per season were 65 tackles, 2.6 interceptions, and 1 sack.

Darius Leonard, Colts

Position: Linebacker
College: South Carolina State (No. 36 overall)
Leonard has recorded 135 tackles, an NFL best, including 90 solo tackles. Additionally, he has totaled seven sacks, four forced fumbles, 11 tackles for loss, and an interception.

Leighton Vander Esch, Cowboys

Position: Linebacker
College: Boise State (No. 19 overall)
He has recorded 108 tackles, 2 Interceptions with 7 pass deflections.

Bradley Chubb, Broncos

Position: Defensive end
College: North Carolina State (No. 5 overall)
20 QB hits, 2 Forced Fumbles, 51 Tackles on the season. With two games still to go, Chubb has already broke Von Miller's Broncos' rookie record for most sacks in a season with 12.0.

Denzel Ward, Browns

Position: Cornerback
College: Ohio State (No. 4 overall)
48 tackles, 2 Fumble recoveries, 1 Forced Fumble and 3 Interceptions, Ward started out the season hot but has cooled off.

And their current* Betting Odds (Lower on the Chart, better Odds to win):

*Updated Wednesdays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I've been saying Derwin James for weeks now and I'll hold the door open for anyone else who wants on this wagon.

I wouldn't really be upset if Chubb or Leonard took it instead, but James is such a complete player right off the bat that it's ridiculous - he can cover, he's actually worth a poo poo in run support, he can blitz and get to the QB, dude's a monster.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

gonna be captain obvious and say it's gotta be James or Leonard.

until this week Leonard was averaging more tackles per game (11.25) than Patrick Willis (10.87) and Luke Kuechly (10.31) when they won DROY, which is pretty drat good, but I'd vote James since he's so versatile.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
You should do a thread for Baker Mayfield's offensive rookie of the year award too!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Flikken posted:

You should do a thread for Baker Mayfield's offensive rookie of the year award too!

It would just be a thread about Saquon Barkley and how amazing he is.

Maybe.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I don't think he should win but honor Landry should be considered

Flikken posted:

There's already a Baker thread

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm getting on the Darius Leonard bandwagon because he's awesome, but James or Chubb are too and both would be acceptable choices. It hasn't been a great year for rookie cornerbacks, I don't think there's a single one that has a chance

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
It should be either James or Leonard, but you can never count out Anyone Who Has A Few Good Weeks For The Cowboys

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Athanatos posted:

It would just be a thread about Saquon Barkley and how amazing he is.

Maybe.

You mean the guy that is only slightly better than a RB drafted with the Pick we got in the osweiller trade?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Flikken posted:

You mean the guy that is only slightly better than a RB drafted with the Pick we got in the osweiller trade?

Psssh, Chubb and Baker weren't even good enough to start half the year.

(my god fire Hue into the sun)

Yudo
May 15, 2003

While he is not really in the running for DROY, Daron Payne is pretty good at rushing the passer for a guy whose biggest knock on him pre-draft was that he is a telephone booth.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

To me it's Leonard and it's not particularly close, though admittedly I've seen a lot more of his games than the others and I am a shameless homer. I've barely watched any Chargers games, and when I have James hasn't really stood out to me (the only play of his I remember, actually, is when he mistakenly took a pick out of the endzone to the 2), but his numbers are impressive so I wouldn't be too salty if he won. The guy I'd have a real problem with winning is Vander Esch, because he's a more direct comparison to Leonard and his stats are way less impressive. Him winning would just feel like some media-market bullshit.

To me an underrated factor for Leonard is the story. These other guys were all first-rounders, and James as I recall was seen as possibly the safest pick in the draft. Leonard was a second-rounder who, even at that position, was called one of the worst reaches in the draft (including by dumb people like me). But Ballard was confident in him, and from the start of rookie minicamp Leonard grabbed hold of that starting spot and never let go.

Oh, and those insane numbers he's put up? He did it while missing a game to an injury. Vote Leonard!

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
Leonard would get my vote as well

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I think Minkah Fitzpatrick isn't in the DROTY convo this year, but I have to admit he's really good.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

pasaluki posted:

I think Minkah Fitzpatrick isn't in the DROTY convo this year, but I have to admit he's really good.

Yeah, I don't think he's going to get many votes but he's going to be excellent IMO, and could have garnered some consideration if the Dolphins weren't so enamored with the idea of just randomly moving him between positions with little warning or practice time.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Yeah, I don't think he's going to get many votes but he's going to be excellent IMO, and could have garnered some consideration if the Dolphins weren't so enamored with the idea of just randomly moving him between positions with little warning or practice time.

The Chargers do this with Derwin James all the time and he rules

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

a neat cape posted:

The Chargers do this with Derwin James all the time and he rules

Is James really doing things dramatically different from what he did in college? Afaik it's the same general safety/dime defender stuff, it's just the Chargers have really embraced it and have a defensive scheme that can facilitate it.

If you took him and played him as a boundary corner(which is my main complaint with what the Dolphins have done with Fitzpatrick) you're going to take him away from all that and almost certainly make him less effective in coverage to boot.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
The betting odds are once again in Darius Leonard's favor:

Seems to be a 2 horse race at this point with Leonard and Derwin James pretty drat close. Vander Esch still is in the hunt, but the competition has pretty much passed him.

With 1 game left in the season, here are the stats at a glance:

Leonard has 155 tackles, 7 sacks, 12 tackles for a loss, 8 quarterback hits, 1 interception, 6 passes defensed, 4 forced fumbles, and 2 fumble recoveries in 14 games. Leonard is 19 tackles away from the all-time NFL rookie mark and 12 away from tying the all-time Colts tackle record.

Derwin James - 99 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 4 tackle for loss, 6 qb hits, 3 INT, 13 passes defended

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

have they standardized tackles as a stat? I remember a few years ago reading that each team kept their own tackle stats and would occasionally do poo poo like award half tackles for jumping onto a pile as the ball carrier was already falling to the ground

ShakeZula posted:

The guy I'd have a real problem with winning is Vander Esch, because he's a more direct comparison to Leonard and his stats are way less impressive. Him winning would just feel like some media-market bullshit.

agreed, and unfortunately I think he's got a real shot at winning

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Flikken posted:

You keep forgetting Lamar Jackson exists. Don't do that to yourself, he's awesome.

DROTY has to go to James. He's just phenomenal.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You keep forgetting Lamar Jackson exists. Don't do that to yourself, he's awesome.

DROTY has to go to James. He's just phenomenal.

Yeah no Baker is top 3 passer rating since Hue was fired and top 10 counting the boulder part of the season. It's him or Saquan.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I have as good a chance as Lamar Jackson at being named OROTY

e: in a just world it'd be Baker, but given East Coast Bias and the Giant's official Classy Organization Status it'll probably go to Saquan

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

indigi posted:

I have as good a chance as Lamar Jackson at being named OROTY

e: in a just world it'd be Baker, but given East Coast Bias and the Giant's official Classy Organization Status it'll probably go to Saquan

*Looks at Nick Chubbs half season of stats and draft position*

*Looks at Saquon's full season and draft position*

:thunk:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

indigi posted:

have they standardized tackles as a stat? I remember a few years ago reading that each team kept their own tackle stats and would occasionally do poo poo like award half tackles for jumping onto a pile as the ball carrier was already falling to the ground

agreed, and unfortunately I think he's got a real shot at winning

There's probably still a bit of dubiousness in counting tackle assists, but Leonard also leads the league in solo tackles, and in fact is the only player with more than 100.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Tackles itself is a garbage stat. If the TE you're covering converts a 3rd down over the top of you and you bring him to the ground after the catch that's a tackle same as any 1 yard run.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Derwin James rules and I hope he wins

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

a neat cape posted:

Derwin James rules and I hope he wins

:emptyquote:

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Saquan is going to win OROTY because Baker talks poo poo

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Saquan is going to win OROTY because Baker talks poo poo

Saquon is also probably top 5 in his position and Baker is not

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Raku posted:

Saquon is also probably top 5 in his position and Baker is not

Baker has won Rookie of the week 6 times to Saquon's 1.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hang the rookie of the week banners

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rookie of the Week isn't enough material for a shirt, so, PRINT THE THONGS

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Tackles itself is a garbage stat. If the TE you're covering converts a 3rd down over the top of you and you bring him to the ground after the catch that's a tackle same as any 1 yard run.

Leonard also has 12 tackles for loss, which puts him smack in the middle of a bunch of pass rushers and DL on the list. Not to mention the interception, 7 sacks, and 4 forced fumbles!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Leonard rules, no question. He was absolutely robbed of the pro bowl. Mosley has had probably the worst season of his career(which is still pretty good) and definitely shouldn't have got the nod.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Leonard rules, no question. He was absolutely robbed of the pro bowl. Mosley has had probably the worst season of his career(which is still pretty good) and definitely shouldn't have got the nod.

On the other hand: CJ loving MOSLEY

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Rookie QBs in the playoffs:

Baker Mayfield: no
Sam Darnold: no
Josh Allen: no
Josh Rosen: no
Lamar Jackson: Yes

roookie of the year bitch

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007