Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Generative-adversarial networks are distorting reality at the speed of sound, and the only places to go are fake too. But at least we can finally stick it to those super rich creatives, always hogging such things like "art styles" and "experience."
I have a subreddit for this, /r/MediaSynthesis, so we're not starting from scratch. Just pull news from there over to here if you aren't sure your current reality isn't being generated by a machine learning algorithm— that'll pop you back into real life. Also remember that this is Reddit and Reddit is infested with chuds.

Semantic Style Transfer Turns Microsoft Paint Sketch Into Fine Art
AI generated faces from scratch
This AI Can Clone Any Voice, Including Yours
And of course the holy grail:
Using machine learning to turn real people into anime characters

One of these days, I'm gonna generate a barbershop quartet version of TLC's "Waterfalls".

Yuli Ban fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Yuli Ban posted:

Generative-adversarial networks are distorting reality at the speed of sound, and the only places to go are fake too. But at least we can finally stick it to those super rich creatives, always hogging such things like "art styles" and "experience."
I have a subreddit for this, /r/MediaSynthesis, so we're not starting from scratch. Just pull news from there over to here if you aren't sure your current reality isn't being generated by a machine learning algorithm— that'll pop you back into real life. Also remember that this is Reddit and Reddit is infested with chuds.

Semantic Style Transfer Turns Microsoft Paint Sketch Into Fine Art
AI generated faces from scratch
This AI Can Clone Any Voice, Including Yours
And of course the holy grail:
Using machine learning to turn real people into anime characters

One of these days, I'm gonna generate a barbershop quartet version of TLC's "Waterfalls".

Love this stuff, heres a cool list of gan applications:

https://github.com/nashory/gans-awesome-applications

and heres a cool one that creates 3d models from 2d images:
https://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/wakeup/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G63goXc5MyU

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 27, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I love that they show the superiority of their method by comparing goku

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I had a very primitive understanding but if I have n-examples of a product and want to have this concept spit something out based on that type of product and hope it shows me the next iPhone can I do that...?

Basically I want to leverage it to help me come up with sick new visual concepts. But ideally it does not look like a mutated dog.

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Using an AI to Enhance a Low Res Image

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

French Canadian posted:

I had a very primitive understanding but if I have n-examples of a product and want to have this concept spit something out based on that type of product and hope it shows me the next iPhone can I do that...?

Basically I want to leverage it to help me come up with sick new visual concepts. But ideally it does not look like a mutated dog.

Yes, you can use gans to create something new and different but in the same style as the content you feed it. You probably are going to want more than a "primitive" understanding before you go for it, but all the tools you need are open source and documented.

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 28, 2018

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
This article astounded me a bit. The feeling of something feeling real- yet knowing it’s completely not existent is an odd one for sure:

https://petapixel.com/2018/12/17/these-portraits-were-made-by-ai-none-of-these-people-exist/

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

CareyB posted:

This article astounded me a bit. The feeling of something feeling real- yet knowing it’s completely not existent is an odd one for sure:

https://petapixel.com/2018/12/17/these-portraits-were-made-by-ai-none-of-these-people-exist/

Christ, we think it's bad now with bots on Twitter, etc, once this starts ramping up and getting easier and faster to do, it has some really fuckin scary implications.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

CareyB posted:

See...drat...fake faces and IKEA interiors and poo poo. I want to do this with a specific product. I guess I need a bunch of GPUs it sounds like. Or some super computer time. Is there not a web app yet that let's me upload 10 photos and it spits out amalgamated thing?

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

French Canadian posted:

See...drat...fake faces and IKEA interiors and poo poo. I want to do this with a specific product. I guess I need a bunch of GPUs it sounds like. Or some super computer time. Is there not a web app yet that let's me upload 10 photos and it spits out amalgamated thing?

No, you don't need a super computer or that many GPUs. There's maybe a "web app" idk? There's implementations everywhere and the software is not too hard to understand and use if you're excited about it. See the github links above, find something close to what you want to do and read the documentation.

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 2, 2019

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Face Synthesis: I Used AI To Propose To My Wife In Her Native Language

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Here's an old post of mine:
[Possibilities] The Bedroom Multimedia Studio

When I was about 9 or 10 (which wasn't that long ago, just 15 years), I actually thought we already had media generation and synthesizing algorithms. I very distinctly remember looking up on AOL how to download a program that would create a cartoon. I'd type in my useless and baffling 10-year-old descriptions and the computer would self-destruct trying to decipher what I was trying to say, but eventually I'd get a 30-minute episode that I could watch and show off to others. I was confused and disappointed when my words didn't magically turn into a cartoon.

Eventually, when I was 13, I found this Anime Studios program at Walmart and thought "Aw sweet, Imma go create my own show". And I even asked myself "Do they already have the voices I want on there?" at one point like a dumbass.
I think I still have that disc, too. Never touched since 2008, which should tell you whether or not I was able to create a cartoon that day. But I was a silly little kid who didn't really know much about technology. Computers and the internet seemed like magic and this was the era right around when blogs became common, so I just watched Cartoon Network and their contemporaries not understanding the sheer effort and manhours that went into creating even a single animated short, let alone an entire series. Cartoons just existed. I didn't know how they were created other than that some guy drew images over and over again and they somehow got put on TV, and I never thought to use the magical internet to research how cartoons are made. So surely, computers could just generate them, right?

Actually, I did find out the extensive process of animation around the same time of my second little gaffe because I genuinely did try to do something with it and was flabbergasted at how labor intensive it was just to create a single piss-poor 2-second loop of stick figures and that brought me to do some actual research.

How disappointing, right? That was over a decade ago.

It feels surreal and sorta vindicating to know that, by the late 2020s, it's possible someone who's a stupid 10-year-old that doesn't know better could think "Can I download something that makes a cartoon?" and the answer will be "Yes!"

If I were a bettin' man, I'd say that the sort of generative networks that we'll see during the next decade up to the latest years (2028 and 2029) will allow for you to pick and choose what sort of show you want to create.

Like, to keep with the cartoon example, imagine that for the early 2020s: GoAnimate, but vastly superior. There are many presets you can choose. You can type in detailed descriptions of someone or something and get a character or object designed, and then you can pick out what you want in a specific style. You don't even have to stick with any one style for all objects and characters— you could have a character from classic Disney a la Snow White or Beauty and the Beast with a modern overly-childlike moe anime character in a single work with a background that looks like it was drawn in the style of Ed Edd 'n Eddy. The animation will probably be either too awkward or too fluid, making it too obvious that it's something created with software. And the voices will also be realistic, but with poorly cadenced intonations and weird inflections. But a particularly skilled creator or a small team could create something with $200 that looks like it cost a thousand times more than that (which is the actual cost of a single episode of a typical Western cartoon, believe it or not).

I can see that as being probable by 2022-2023 or so. Mainly if deep learning + destructive brain scans takes off.

By the late 2020s, it will all likely be many times more refined, sort of like the difference between creating websites in 1998 vs. today. Animation quality/fluidity could be entirely a choice rather than a limitation and voice synthesization will be indistinguishable from reality. The OST can be anything you want it to be, however epic and sweeping or minimalist and unpretentious. What was rough and took a lot of your own effort in the early 2020s is literally as easy as typing in descriptions and then refining the results with the help of AI, then letting said AI run various scenes through and letting you choose which one was the best or was the closest so you could further tweak it. And the AI could also help you edit it if you doubt your hand. And if you were to release it to the world, you genuinely could since NLP/NLU would allow you to translate everything (speech and text) to all other languages. You could create an entire multimedia franchise in your bedroom.

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Text-To-Speech Donald Trump Model
hanyuqn

quote:

This is the result of many hours playing around with Tacotron and other publicly implemented TTS models. I started with a model trained on the LJ Speech dataset from https://github.com/keithito/tacotron and fine-tuned it with about 3 hours of Trump audio (mostly from weekly addresses and a few speeches where background noise is minimal) across around 4,000 audio files of a few words each that were generated by splitting videos by silence, using ffmpeg. This forced each audio file to start immediately at the beginning of a word and end precisely at the end of a word. I then ran a script to use Google Cloud Speech to transcribe each file and save the results to a csv in the same format as LJ Speech, then went through all of the audio and fixed/deleted incorrect transcriptions. While I experimented a lot with different code and changing hyperparameters, it was definitely making the training data as clean as possible that got the best results. This model is still very far from perfect of course and the results vary greatly across different sentences you give it.

It's uncanny to hear...

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Can an AI Learn To Draw a Caricature? [This is a very important step towards my prediction that neural networks will soon be able to generate comics and even cartoons in virtually any art style— up until now, style transfer lacked the ability to exaggerate features, a fundamental aspect of cartoons]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6G717ewUuw

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

How long until the AI makes a loss.jpg edit?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Yuli Ban posted:

Using an AI to Enhance a Low Res Image

Enhance

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
This website automatically generates new human faces. None of them are real. They are generated through AI. Refresh the site for a new face.

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
OpenAI: We’ve trained a large-scale unsupervised language model which generates coherent paragraphs of text, achieves state-of-the-art performance on many language modeling benchmarks, and performs rudimentary reading comprehension, machine translation, question answering, and summarization

This is uncannily coherent for an AI.

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xxGIDfe5BU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Jesus Christ. We are doomed. Imagine how well that kind of voice synthesis will be in a decade.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I would like to see the generated face next to the nearest match in the data set. Something about this screams overfitting in a neural network.

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

sitchensis posted:

Jesus Christ. We are doomed. Imagine how well that kind of voice synthesis will be in a decade.

If this is real, it's not even "a decade":

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005

Yuli Ban posted:

If this is real, it's not even "a decade":

Holy guacomoly. That sounds so realistic and yet I saw this video a while ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqkRBgz5_bY&t=105s and the way Trump says the name 'Roy Moore' is just so Microsoft Sam like to me, the way he spaces the first and last name out, and with such monotony to it. People have mocked me for having a monotonous voice and joked that I must be a robot, so it could be nothing but a lack of social skills such as I had, but then again he's a trained speaker, there's a big difference between a teenager and a guy whose a famous public speaker.

Wasn't there a book that came out a few years ago speculating on the prospect of a holographic Putin? Couldn't this type of thing be happening right now and people don't even know? Wasn't this the plot in Red Alert 3 where the President is a robot put there by the Japanese? Don't the government have technology which is years in advance of what the public thinks is possible?

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Combining deepfakes with voice synthesis for some fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bB5db0Srrw

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Artificial Intelligence Speaks Like Trump (v2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-SwzTNeN4M

And here's something cool:
Nvidia's new AI can turn any primitive sketch into a photorealistic masterpiece

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Donald Trump covers Eminem's "Lose Yourself"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rgAVT8b4fw

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Video Dialogue Replacement: World leaders singing Imagine
Surprisingly uplifting. If only it were real...
It's also one of the most hilarious videos I've seen in the past few months because of how unreal it is.

Yuli Ban fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 6, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://deepart.io/

Now you can actually make your cat into a Louis Wain cat! Or your house into a farm out of a Wyeth painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://www.fakenamegenerator.com/

This is a fair bit more detailed than most name generators that authors already use.