Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Breadallelogram posted:

I LOVED that. Real baby was a much better actor than CGI baby.

I liked the ending. Big departure from the books but I think it was a very effective tv series.

Just finished up last night and I agree. Loved the ending. Patrick Warburton is a treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I liked that they balanced out clearly sparing the henchmen, Quagmires, and Widdershinses with really heavily implying that nobody heeded the Baudelaires' advice to leave the hotel

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Up to the Grim Grotto Part 1.

I love how Tony award-winning actor NPH is upstaged in every scene by Carmelita Spats.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I liked it, but honestly the last episode's setting and new characters felt like it was tacked on. It seemed odd that after an episode where the plot of every other side story came together that suddenly they were on an island with a brand new cast of new characters. It didn't help that said side story only lasted one episode (the finale being the only non-two-parter just seemed odd if they were going to treat is as a normal story) and oh yes... they didn't even go there on purpose, they just happened to maroon where there parents were are some point too for some reason. I honestly got Lost final season flashbacks where all of a sudden they were introducing a ton of stuff that felt out of left field and treating it with the significance of everything that came before.

I mean the "Get to new area, meet new weird characters, figure out what's wrong with said characters and their way of life" formula is kind of how the whole series went but that side story involving every previous story is what made the hotel episode feel like such a cap on the series. I think I would have liked it a lot more if once they left everything behind they made some sort of conscious decision to go to the island on purpose. Even having Olaf say something like "Hey you want answers, I know you're good with inventions, create a compass and take us here" and the orphans agree because at that point they were lost, trapped on a boat with him, and they did indeed want answers would have been a much more interesting way to reach the island.

I also would have liked just a touch more of a redemption arc or even emotional resolution for Olaf before carrying Kit off the raft. His heroic moment felt unearned, since yes he was with Kit in the flashbacks but it was a very short flashback and we didn't get to see enough of them together to feel as though they fit as a couple. Ever since they showed him being manipulated by the man and woman with beards/no hair and hair/no beards, and especially with the flashback to his father dying I was expecting more of a confrontational climax where he explains to the orphans that their mother killed his father and then went on the run without owning up to the consequences. It seemed he was close when during the courtroom he said "Is that what you think happened" with regards to their interpretation of the past but then he never got to actually share his story. Presumably the kids read their parents' sides of it in that book but who knows how much it actually shared.

All in all I still think it did a great job capping the series and I liked the "Did you know about X and Y that happened after they got off the island" story that Beatrice told Lemony because it just felt right that of course their adventures would continue with all these crazy things happening to them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Hotel Denoument being the capstone of the series but not The End was very deliberate

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it's great and a minor miracle that the baby they got to play Sunny ended up being a good toddler actor. So adorable :3:

As a non-bookreader, loved the ending.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I don’t think Olaf was meant to have a redemption arc and it was more “do one good thing in your awful life” than that. He was humbled for sure but if he got off that island he would have been the same person.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

bobjr posted:

I don’t think Olaf was meant to have a redemption arc and it was more “do one good thing in your awful life” than that. He was humbled for sure but if he got off that island he would have been the same person.

It felt like they were trying to make him much more sympathetic this season. You see him as his younger self being manipulated because he's seeking acceptance after the schism, you see him as part of the VFD as a relatively normal member of society with a love life and a family, and then you see his father die in front of him at the hands of the protagonists' mother. Maybe it isn't meant to be a redemption arc per say, but he did more than one good thing in his awful life since his life wasn't all that awful to begin with.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Superrodan posted:

I liked it, but honestly the last episode's setting and new characters felt like it was tacked on.

This is true, but honestly one of the best parts of the series.

Instead of ending on a the big fireworks scene, it has that, but then goes on for another book to just wade in the characters for a meditation.

It also felt really intentional that Olaf's heroic moment felt unearned– it's not redemption. It's just him finally doing something right for not-necessarily-the-right-but-he's-still-doing-it reasons.

quote:

All in all I still think it did a great job capping the series and I liked the "Did you know about X and Y that happened after they got off the island" story that Beatrice told Lemony because it just felt right that of course their adventures would continue with all these crazy things happening to them.

Amen brother.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

i post in this thread once every season , that ending was dogshit and actively made me sad how badly they hosed up lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Skeletome posted:

i post in this thread once every season , that ending was dogshit and actively made me sad how badly they hosed up lol

I didn't think it was good (or true to the novel either, but that's a separate issue), but would you be keen to elaborate?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would probably be less disappointed if the Olaf sympathy/redemption/death thing hadn’t taken all of about five seconds with no real buildup beforehand besides as someone else mentioned “look they went to the opera together once”

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I would probably be less disappointed if the Olaf sympathy/redemption/death thing hadn’t taken all of about five seconds with no real buildup beforehand besides as someone else mentioned “look they went to the opera together once”

They were engaged.

If anything, I'd have cut the opera scene completely. It made everything look like a simple misunderstanding, instead of the implied murderous clusterfuck.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Strom Cuzewon posted:

They were engaged.

If anything, I'd have cut the opera scene completely. It made everything look like a simple misunderstanding, instead of the implied murderous clusterfuck.

Yeah, I liked the opera bit because it was like a reward for readers who'd been wondering for so long, but that did the opposite of recapture how the books felt, since

Escobarbarian posted:

In the books you have even less of an idea that this would happen, since there's no indication until the end that Kit and Olaf had any sort of romantic involvement. He kisses her out of nowhere and they trade poetry while the kids watch, baffled. The implication to me was not that this was any kind of redemption, but that the kids were slowly realizing over the course of the books that people were more complex than being "good" or "evil" or "obsessed with grammar" and that everyone possessed layers they would never understand.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Argue posted:

In the books you have even less of an idea that this would happen, since there's no indication until the end that Kit and Olaf had any sort of romantic involvement. He kisses her out of nowhere and they trade poetry while the kids watch, baffled. The implication to me was not that this was any kind of redemption, but that the kids were slowly realizing over the course of the books that people were more complex than being "good" or "evil" or "obsessed with grammar" and that everyone possessed layers they would never understand.

I liked Fernald saying so to the kids. There aren't noble people and wicked people. I dunno, I didn't think the ending missed the point of the books at all. Mostly I was relieved that Lemony Snicket got some kind of sliver of joy in his life because Patrick Warbuton's sad face was killing me dead.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m listening to the audiobooks now after having read the books waaaay back, and something I didn’t catch nearly as much as a kid is Olaf’s penchant for both misusing words and using needlessly obscure words to say mundane things. It’s infuriating but good characterization for Olaf.

Also, I think I’d like NPH’s Olaf more if they had toned down the makeup a bit. It’s great real life version of Helquist’s art, but Olaf looks stylized and cartoony compared to everyone else who isn’t modeled after the art, and the exaggerated Olaf look makes all his disguises less funny. Olaf as himself looks equally as convincing as any given disguise.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 12, 2019

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

As someone who never read the last book in the series as a kid I really liked the ending.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Was anyone from VFD except for Lemony still (as far as we know) alive at the end?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Propaniac posted:

Was anyone from VFD except for Lemony still (as far as we know) alive at the end?

The submarine captain and his kids.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Jacqueline Scieszka is off duchessing in Winnipeg. Given how abruptly she disappeared from Season 3, it feels like it would have made sense to merge her with Kit Snicket, but that's just me. I liked both characters anyway.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I remember being very annoyed with the last book when I was younger, so this more conclusive ending was much more statisfying to me. Fantastic show, and the cast were just wonderful in bringing the characters to life. Patrick Warburton especially.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
"Is County not my daddy anymore?"
"He's not mine either pet."

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think what makes the ending work for me is that its never quite a complete promise of happiness. Fernald may have found the Captain, but that doesn't mean the latter is about to forgive him. The Henchpeople found some success in the theater, but Lemony tacks on a "for at least one night", not promising that their lives are going to be better forever. It leave the hotel situation totally ambiguous. And the Baudelaires ended up in more perilous situations. Maybe they even left Beatrice II an orphan once again. Happiness isn't guaranteed at all.

But it promises a future. And that's enough, I think.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved the adaption of Olaf and Esme's ludicrous laughter in Grim Grotto. "HA HA HIGGLEDY HE!" "HEE HEE HANTAGONISM!"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I am on The Ersatz Elevator and there’s two little details I wish made it into the show: In Miserable Mill, Charles is the first adult to actually believe the children about someone being Olaf (he’s of course too scared to act without Sir’s approval). And in Ersatz Elevator, Jerome mentions that he wanted to get a tool set, an almanac, and a very biteable bronze disc for the kids’ gifts, but Esme overruled him and got three pinstripe suits.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

So was the father not shown/mentioned in the flashbacks or anything? After the opera scene where it's discovered that Beatrice was the mother I figured there would be something for the father too.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

In my opinion Alison Williams and Morena Baccarin should have switched roles, if for no other reason than to make the ages match up at least somewhat plausibly.

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013

Patrovsky posted:

Jacqueline Scieszka is off duchessing in Winnipeg. Given how abruptly she disappeared from Season 3, it feels like it would have made sense to merge her with Kit Snicket, but that's just me. I liked both characters anyway.

From what I vaguely remember she gets killed off screen helping the baudileres mother who dies somewhere else. Sort following the three.l children. I it’s think it’s in one of the subsidy books or part of the great ambiguous ending of the end
I found my favourite books the last two were well done. Though I would have liked to have seen sir again and spent longer on the last book which would have benefited from another episode.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Patrick Warburton :allears:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Non-book reader here: I wish the show had spent a little more time with how VFD weren't exactly perfect. Like how they killed Olaf's father, but didn't really seem that sorry about it. Or how one of them was working on a fungus that could kill all life on earth.
My favourite part of this season was definitely Olaf pointing out that every single adult the children have met are either buffoons or morons, and those people should be the ones on trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
So I got the distinct impression that many of the castaways in The End were set up to look vaguely visually reminiscent of the cast of Lost. Was that just my imagination?