Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

coolusername posted:

Had to drop $900 on doctors bills.

Thank GOD i took your guys savings advice. If I'd gotten the phone i wouldn't have had the money.

I’m sorry to hear about your doctor’s bills, but I’m really glad you were able to cover it with your emergency fund (or with something that could be converted to an emergency fund)!

It must have been a huge relief to realize when you got the bill that you could just take care of it without having to figure out how to get hundreds of dollars on short notice.

A sense of security and “Oh, I do have enough”, is exactly what you (and BFC) want for all your bills, which is why budgeting is so important and spending within your means is so important, so this is a clear sign you’re on the right path.

Good work so far!!

(Apologies if that sounds condescending, I’ve been reading the zaurg thread and that dude’s a dense moron.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Colin Mockery posted:

(Apologies if that sounds condescending, I’ve been reading the zaurg thread and that dude’s a dense moron.)

He is literally the inspiration for this thread. I saw it when it was migrating and realised if I didn't sort myself out, well, there would be me.

It's a bit much since i was raised by multiple bankruptcy never can retire hoarders but I'm trying to curb all the bad habits I internalized like "i worked hard, buy it" and "credit cards can be paid off one day free money"

Like one Christmas my mum literally dropped 2k+ on a CC until I begged her to stop buyjng me things because I knew she couldn't afford it. i was like 14?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
In one shopping trip, I mean. Just straight up in the store buying everything I liked while I drowned in guilt.

Freaking christmases

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

That sounds like my personal hell. Well, except that then I would have had a power wheel growing up. That would have been sweet.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Good on you for using the emergency fund savings to pay off the bill. Work to build that back up and keep hitting those goals. You’re doing well!

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Sorry about the med bills but congratulations on being the formations of a BFC success story :) Hopefully you can refill that emergency fund again without too much trouble and carry on the ways of someone who is working towards being financially secure.

A lot of the problems people have with money do come down to schools just outright not teaching students how to budget combined with the constant advertising hellscape everyone is subjected to. At least you can draw on your upbringing to compare 'Do I want a $2,000 credit card bill for Christmas' against 'Do I want to not have to worry in case I get another one of these medical bills'

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
So I'm going to end this month with 650usd in the bank and no paying off my credit card like my original plan, so still in debt

[Sad medical trombone]

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Does getting facefucked by capitalism get any less annoying? When I made no effort, I was doing fine, I start making an effort and everything catches fire.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Did anything new happen?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Filling issue but fortunately insurance should cover most. I'm just gonna sulk. I'm still above water so ten points for not going shopping, right? I haven't bought any random unnecessary poo poo in ages.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

coolusername posted:

Filling issue but fortunately insurance should cover most. I'm just gonna sulk. I'm still above water so ten points for not going shopping, right? I haven't bought any random unnecessary poo poo in ages.

Life throws poo poo at you all the time yeah, it’s okay to take pride in the small victories

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

coolusername posted:

That's a really good outcome, considering, because it shows you're robust to these issues through discipline. Given that you'll not always have a collection of big issues like this, it means that you only need to stay the course for things to gradually improve. Any further improvement only accelerates that.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Paid off my credit card!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
gently caress yeah

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Serious progress right there! Good on you for not letting the obstacles stop you from getting stuff done.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Nice! And you've still got 6 whole months to build up your cash savings goal before the end of the year!

Plus, managing to work around obstacles means that when the obstacles finally go away (especially the ones that are just bad luck), everything's gonna feel a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Well done! You’re making great progress.