Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
S&B Tasty Curry (Hot) is my favourite curry in a box. The problem is that the grocery store it was at no longer stocks it.

I have been trying to make my own roux but it either comes out too buttery tasting or a dry feel in the mouth. When it does have a good taste from having stock added ( I find beef or vegetable is best) it ends up too liquidy. Trying to correct it with more spice and flour just seem to bring that dry feel again.

Recipe I use:

3 Tbsp Butter
4 Tbsp Flour
2 Tbsp Garam Masala
2 Tspn Cayenne Pepper

Melt butter and then add flour and stir over medium heat until light brown and then add spices.

Anyone else made their own roux that tastes just right and provides a good consistency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The less you toast a roux the more it'll thicken your stuff. I don't really understand how anything could end up too buttery tasting but if/when you're happy with the flavor after adding stock try a starch slurry instead of more flour if you need to thicken it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've made the roux using the S&B curry powder and I think it's better than buying the blocks. The powder doesn't have any of the preservative stuff or weird chemicals. It's just the spices but it's not hot at all so you need some cayenne.

https://www.amazon.com/Curry-Powder-Oriental-85/dp/B0002D8MBO/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1546641214&sr=8-6&keywords=sb%2Bcurry&th=1

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Mu Zeta posted:

I've made the roux using the S&B curry powder and I think it's better than buying the blocks. The powder doesn't have any of the preservative stuff or weird chemicals. It's just the spices but it's not hot at all so you need some cayenne.

https://www.amazon.com/Curry-Powder-Oriental-85/dp/B0002D8MBO/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1546641214&sr=8-6&keywords=sb%2Bcurry&th=1

I love getting "EXTRA HOT" curry and going "oh yeah I think I can taste a little spice now"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I throw in a few chopped serrano peppers when I'm just making it for myself. When others taste it they think I'm a masochist.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Agreeable Employer posted:

S&B Tasty Curry (Hot) is my favourite curry in a box. The problem is that the grocery store it was at no longer stocks it.

I have been trying to make my own roux but it either comes out too buttery tasting or a dry feel in the mouth. When it does have a good taste from having stock added ( I find beef or vegetable is best) it ends up too liquidy. Trying to correct it with more spice and flour just seem to bring that dry feel again.

Recipe I use:

3 Tbsp Butter
4 Tbsp Flour
2 Tbsp Garam Masala
2 Tspn Cayenne Pepper

Melt butter and then add flour and stir over medium heat until light brown and then add spices.

Anyone else made their own roux that tastes just right and provides a good consistency?

Hey OP so you can get golden curry on Amazon for about the same price as walmart/less than some retail stores delivered free on prime. That's how I buy it.

TUNAFISHING 87
Dec 20, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Add fruit puree. Like blend up an apple or nashi or something and chuck it in.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Roux
5 tbsp unsalted butter
½ cup (75 g) flour
3 tbsp (45 mL) garam masala, ground
1 tbsp (15 mL) turmeric, ground
1 tsp (5 mL) coriander, ground
½ tsp (2.5 mL) cumin, ground
½ tsp (2.5 mL) fennel, ground
½ tsp (2.5 mL) fenugreek seeds, ground
¼ tsp (1.25 mL) cinnamon, ground
¼ tsp (1.25 mL) allspice, ground
1 tsp (5 mL) cayenne pepper, ground
2 tbsp tomato paste
3 tbsp tonkatsu sauce
2 tbsp honey

(taken from https://pixelatedprovisions.com/2017/06/20/persona-5-curry/)

This was my first Japanese curry. So ymmv but I really like the balance in this. Finished curry gets 1 grated apple, 15g of dark chocolate, and 1/2 cup of yogurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I might try making my own Japanese curry now. Grew up on S&B curry boxes of what I learned today was a roux. We would always stir fry some chicken with soy then add water with potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion. Know that I think about it we were doing a backwards mirepoix fried up mix. It was magical no mater how much water I had in the pot as long as it was just above the boiling chicken and vegetables the cube/box would thicken and then we served it over cooked rice. I do like steamed rice from a cooker now but we used to the the Japanese folk tactic of pouring rice into the soup pot then placing your hand on top of it and filling the water until it was over your hand but not to your wrist and cook covered. Take your hand out of the rice pot before turning the heat on. <-- that was a joke